Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You are the Ref competition - With Weds Answer & Thurs Question

Love these cartoons and the BBC are running a series of You are the Ref questions over Euro 2008

Here's the first one to have a go at.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008/2008/06/you_are_the_ref_1.html

Answer will appear on the BBC site tomorrow (Wednesday) or when Ledge tells us!

Comments

• Options
    I would have blown up immediately after the lunge and sent the player off... for a yellow card tackle i'd have played advantage but on the facts given you have to stop the game right away - not least because the victim might well be in a bad way
  • Options
    Allow the goal and send the player off.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Allow the goal and send the player off.[/quote]

...same as, once the decision to play on has been made, you have to wait for break in play to punish player.
  • Options
    There is not enough information in the question. We are told that the answer will be given by a Prem League Ref but are not told if either of the teams is Man Utd.

Given that at the start of the action a player was not given a Red Card for a clear Red Card offence then it must be assumed that the eventual Goal scoring team must be Man Utd. Therfore the Goal will stand and the fouled player will be sent off for diving.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    How can the injured bloke be playing him onside? If he's in no position to tackle the goalscorer due to his foul i would have thought the next defender would have come into play and if the scorer is beyond him that means he's offside

So no goal,free kick for the offside and send the bloke off for the tackle.

Maybe?
  • Options
    using common sense you'd've thought the answer is along the lines of....
    stop the play after the fouled players team no longer has the advantage (ie when the keeper saves it) so he can recieve treatment, send the dirty b'stard off that made the tackle and then re-start with a drop ball where you stopped it.

common sense ........ no chance.
  • Options
    Surely you play advantage only until the advantage has passed. At that point the referee can stop play and then send off the player in question.
  • Options
    blow the whistle imediatly if it is such a bad tackle then the game should be stopped for dangerous play and send off the offending player, allow treatment to the fouled player bring the ball back for a free kick and continue the game as normal from there
  • Options
    Whatever happened to referee's blowing up for the fowl if the advantage they'd given had quickly ceased? I swear they used to do this. They certainly don't do it anymore and it seems a bit stupid.
  • Options
    I reckon they'd have to let the goal stand then send the player off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hate these things and as a level 4 referee should know them....

I would imagine the ref's played the advantage so therefore play goes on until a stop in play which will be after the goal has been scored.

So the goal is allowed but the player and goalscorer is subsequently sent off.
  • Options
    The referee should blow up as soon as the shot was saved. The advantage was played so its not fair to give that team further advantage but if theres a player still lying injured then play should be stopped. The fouling player should be sent off but it should be a drop ball in the middle where the foul took place.
  • Options
    The goal stands and then the player is sent off...
  • Options
    Keith Hackett's less then illuminating answer:

It is not advisable to apply an advantage with a RED CARD offence. But in this case, with an obvious clear-cut goalscoring chance, I would wait THREE SECONDS and if the ball had not entered the goal I would stop play and dismiss the player.

I certainly would not have allowed play to continue in the way that the question suggests and I believe I speak for all referees officiating in EURO 2008.

Here's Wednesday riddle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008/2008/06/you_are_the_ref_2.html
  • Options
    There you have it it's as clear as mud
  • Options
    I think I know his one.... The attacking side get an indirect free kick from the point the defender touched the ball. If this is nearer to the goalline than the 6 yard line then the ball is moved back to the 6 yard line. The defender receives a yellow card for his coming back onto the field of play without the referee's permission.
  • Options
    Personally I'd send him off and award a penalty.
  • Options
    same as spankies answer except i would send him off for serious foul play and ungentlemanly behaviour
  • Options
    Exactly what Spankie said.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It can't be serious foul play - that's a two footed challenge over the ball - i.e. a leg breaker and ungentlemanly behaviour (or unsporting behaviour as it's now called) is a yellow card offence is its own right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Free kick where the defence kicked the ball and a yellow card for him.
  • Options
    I'm with Spankie, the penalty for entering the field illegally is a yellow, so IFK where the defence kicked the ball and a yellow card. In this circumstance I'd like to have seen a red card though.

Maybe it's me, but was there a situation a few seasons back where a ball-boy prevented a goal?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'm with Spankie, the penalty for entering the field illegally is a yellow, so IFK where the defence kicked the ball and a yellow card. In this circumstance I'd like to have seen a red card though.

Maybe it's me, but was there a situation a few seasons back where a ball-boy prevented a goal?

A goal can only be given if the ball crosses the line.
  • Options
    A goal can only be given if the ball crosses the line.

Just for your interest the Germans call goals that are given where the ball doesn't cross the line "Wembley Goals".
  • Options
    Answer has been given and indeed I was correct. YIPPEE!
  • Options
    just out of interest, to those with some refereeing knowledge....

about 6 or 7 years ago at the Valley a player from the opposition whom i cannot recall passed the ball back to his goalkeeper, obviously the keeper couldn't pick it up but none of our players challenged him. he came out the area, ran the ball up and down the goal line (it wasn't Weaver) then went back into his box and picked the ball up. the ref didn't blow for a back pass which i was surprised about seeing as no one else had touched the ball since he received it.
    was that a mistake by the ref or is there a time frame or something??
  • Options
    Should have deemed an offence that the goalkeeper has picked up a back pass. There is no time frame as to how long the offence lasts for. As soon as he picks the ball up it's an indirect free kick against from where the offence took place (where he picks it up)
  • Options
    Keith Hackett's answer

Award an indirect free-kick to the opposing team from the place where the player touched the ball. Caution him for entering the field of play without permission. If he had already been cautioned, administer a second yellow card and then a red card. As the incident took place inside the goal area, (defending players have to be at least 9.15m from the ball) the defenders must stand on the goalline and between the goalposts.

This is an excellent question and sure to create a lot of debate, with many insisting he should have been shown a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

Thursday's question

Question:
    A team hanging on to a one-goal lead are desperately trying to waste time when their goalkeeper catches a long range shot from Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy. The keeper runs to the edge of the penalty area and then calls for a defender, who runs up close to him and throws the ball for him to head back into his hands. He does this repeatedly, assured it would not be judged a back pass.

a) If an opposition player came and tried to break it up, would he get booked for attempting to stop the keeper taking a throw out to a teammate?

b) Is there a ruling which would allow you, the referee, to put an end to this time-wasting ploy? If so, how would you re-start the game?

How would you handle this situation?
  • Options
    i would award a freekick to the goalie and advise him that it could be deemed as ungentlemanly conduct which could result in a booking a freekick to the other team
  • Options
    Free kick against the keeper for ungentlemanly conduct, and a booking for him.