Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garth Crooks

Now if this discussion has already been done before then i'm sorry but fairly new to this site.

I don't know how others feel but sometimes when I see this slightly annoying person on MOTD and Football Focus I forget what a good player he was for Charlton. I remember when Lennie signed him towards the end of the 1986/87 season (first season back in the top flight for years at selhurst) and how much of an impact he made (along with Paul Miller). I remember his goal up at Newcastle in a 3-0 win and him scoring against Villa towards the end of that season. The following season he scored other vital goals for us (a winner against Southampton springs to mind) that kept us up. Even tho he was past his best when he joined us I always liked him as a player for us.

Comments

• Options
    Very good player for us and hard as nails. took some terrible kicks etc but got up and gave it back. See the Leeds play-off games when he offers out Brendan Ormsby? after the game.

I don't mind him on TV. He appears long winded but that's compared to the rest of the presenters who talk and ask questions in cliches.

Got Leaburn a training job at the BBC
  • Options
    Is he a confirmed batchelor?
  • Options
    Yeah I remember that incident with Ormsby. He went to take out Crooks from behind and ended up injuring himself!!! Ended up with a really bad injury as a result. On the tv highlights after the game you can see Ormsby in his tracksuit squaring up to Crooks with Garth pointing his finger in Ormsbys face. He always linked up well with Robert Lee, Colin Walsh and Paul Williams. Good player
  • Options
    Watched the 88/89 video recently and was suprised at just how involved he was in our pick up in form into the end of the season.

Never really got too much credit with us, but was a decent striker alright.
  • Options
    Not sure if Garth is a Graham Norton fan or not. Either way (no pun) his private life has been very private, which i think is a good thing.

Saw him score a great goal up at Anfield one nite, Walshy scored with a terrific free kick. We played very well and it was a great game pity we lost 3 v 2, though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Saw him score a great goal up at Anfield one nite, Walshy scored with a terrific free kick. We played very well and it was a great game pity we lost 3 v 2, though.

yeah i was at this one (poor away following;-) but it was midweek) ... did alan hansen score one maybe two that night and he hadn't scored for years
  • Options
    Strange sort of chap , but he is married with kids
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Strange sort of chap , but he is married with kids

Thats no guarantee, Michael Barrymore & Elton John were married.
  • Options
    And I happen to know fishnets is in a long term relationship and he's a screaming mincer

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]And I happen to know fishnets is in a long term relationship and he's a screaming mincer

And he's questioning the bird on page 3 today , interesting ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to share the same gym as him.Never shared a shower though.

Saw him use his fist though to good effect against Norwich at Selhurst.....punching in a cross and claiming he headed it in.Got away with it as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]And I happen to know fishnets is in a long term relationship and he's a screaming mincer

And he's questioning the bird on page 3 today , interesting ....

There you go, more proof as if it were needed, screaming queen and no mistake......wonder how long before he notices this thread?
  • Options
    there are no irons in football it seems?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    who were the two West Ham players who got caught in bed together ? Bishop and Morely i think ?

laugh come on uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Irons !!!
  • Options
    I used to go to Spurs a bit with my school mates when Crooks was in his prime. A very good player indeed and the fact he was that good with us despite being past his best shows just how good IMO.

I don't mind his punditry, yeah he's a bit long winded at times but the fact he finds a differnet slant to most others is refereshing. Sometimes just being different (no, that's not another euphamism for batting for t'other side!) is enough to single you out as an oddball but more power to him for it.
  • Options
    R u sure Fishnets is ginger DA9 ? you might be right he did ask me about gardening didnt know he meant the up hill kind !
  • Options
    Definite, have you seen the little gay beard?
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose is the funniest, everyone in england thought he drank from the pink pan pipe but he aint!1 when that story broke about his missus having there first child together shocked everyone, now maybe if he stoped playing like an iron he might be a decent player!
  • Options
    no aint seen the little grey beard , whats his name ?

I wonder if that why he works early mornings , goes straight from Heaven to his office ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]no aint seen the little grey beard , whats his name ?

I wonder if that why he works early mornings , goes straight from Heaven to his office ?

You see, it all adds up, lets see him get out of this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny, because I didn't think much of him when he played for us - I remember his niggling injuries that used to mean he would miss games frequently. Then I'd get in the car put on Radio 5 Sports Report and he would be on it. Used to annoy the friggin hell out of me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Equaliser[/cite]
    Saw him use his fist though to good effect against Norwich at Selhurst.....punching in a cross and claiming he headed it in.Got away with it as well.

I remember that classic goal very well. 88/89 i think
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I met him with one of my daughters 10 or more years back.

Nice guy and spoke with affection of Charlton.
  • Options
    I find it amazing how he manages to combine a role as a respected football journalist whilst also banging out some decent C&W tunes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I find it amazing how he manages to combine a role as a respected football journalist whilst also banging out some decent C&W tunes

So you saw the Skinner and Baddiel sketch too then Chirpy......

Very Very Funny!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]

So you saw the Skinner and Baddiel sketch too then Chirpy......

Nope.