Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aston Villa shirt sponsorship

Very rare this days in the cash-thirsty prem you hear of a story that makes you sit up and take notice, but looks like Aston Villa have made me do that.

They have an agreement of a children's hospice similar to Demelza called Acorns, which they have been financially supporting for the last couple of months due to it having a fund shortage and having to close beds.

They've now gone further and forgone shirt sponsorship for this season and will wear the hospice's name across their shirt.

I think i have finally found a Premiership team i don't want to get stuffed every week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7433169.stm

Comments

• Options
    Good on them.
  • Options
    Heard about this a while ago, there was an article about O'Neill and Lerner and how they were trying to put something back into the community, good on 'em.
  • Options
    Same idea as Barca with Unicef. Good on Villa
  • Options
    Great idea a few more should do the same
  • Options
    WSS and Medders have said exactly what I was going to say!
  • Options
    Great stuff, well done Villa
  • Options
    Unicef for Barcelona was more a publicity stunt... being the first sponsor ever to adorn their shirts

This is truly fantastic - but can obviously only be sustained with a rich sugar daddy who can pick up the losses

I heard this a while ago through some Villa friends of mine. Apparently the club has already started to offset the costs by making more Corporate seats and tickets for the actual Directors' Box available to "real" supporters in the hope of securing some revenue instead of the normal abundance of freebie dignataries etc.
  • Options
    Well done Villa.

Will be interesting to see who follows the charity and how quickly the "You couldn't get a proper sponsor" quips start.
  • Options
    Good for the charity I suppose in that it gives it a lot of attention but how much will it actually affect their income. Would it not have been more beneficial for Villa to sign a deal with a company for shirt sponsorship of say 6m over 3 years and hand over a years worth, 2m, to the Charity. I do hope in the long run that it generates more for the Charity.
  • Options
    Thats a good point LargeAddick.
    I believe that Barca paid Unicef a couple of million as part of their deal, rather than just giving free exposure to the charity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i can see what you mean Large but maybe it's just a case of getting the name wide exposure, maybe it will make willing donors in the Midlands region sit up and take notice of a worthy cause that before they knew little about - just getting on their website and seeing the work that they do should encourage a great increase in both support and understanding
  • Options
    to be honest AFKA it's not hard for these teams to do this really. what would it cost for one season 2-3m - team like villa can easily afford that

BUT

Hats off to them for doing fantraastic gesture - hopefully will spur some of the bigger teams to follow suit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]i can see what you mean Large but maybe it's just a case of getting the name wide exposure, maybe it will make willing donors in the Midlands region sit up and take notice of a worthy cause that before they knew little about - just getting on their website and seeing the work that they do should encourage a great increase in both support and understanding

support and understanding is one thing but hard cash is another. Every Villa fan would have to donate £40 to raise 2m and that ain't gonna happen. A great idea and great exposure but flawed in my opinion.
  • Options
    i dont see why they dont just get a firm to sponsor them and then give the sponorship money to the charity?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: whyte5864[/cite]i dont see why they dont just get a firm to sponsor them and then give the sponorship money to the charity?

great minds think alike !!
  • Options
    presumably they couldn't agree suitable sponsorship terms, so rather than lower their price they have taken this route instead and will hope to get a better deal by next summer.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]support

by support i meant financial Large, sorry for the ambiguity

all it takes is to attract the attention of some people who want to contribute to something but don't know exactly what... there are big fish out there

but i do agree, it isn't a watertight method of sustaining and advancing the charity... but a great gesture it is
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]presumably they couldn't agree suitable sponsorship terms, so rather than lower their price they have taken this route instead and will hope to get a better deal by next summer.

That is what my money is on.
  • Options
    What Villa say

We are delighted to announce a shirt partnership with Acorns Children's Hospice that will see the hospice name carried on team shirts for the 2008/9 season.

The relationship between Aston Villa Football Club and Acorns began through the Club's support of the children's hospice over two years ago.

Since then, players and staff have had the opportunity to learn about the organization through meeting children, parents and nurses as well as Acorns' CEO, David Strudley, and other key members of staff.

It is through these very personal connections that our relationship has evolved to the point where we approached Acorns about becoming a partner and appearing on our match day shirt.

As is the case with all clubs in the Premiership and beyond, Aston Villa is in pursuit of lucrative commercial sponsors. Conscious of ticket prices and fan expectation we are constantly benchmarking ourselves both regionally and nationally. What's more, we are aware that new stadia are driving-up expectations for match-day hospitality and again we are striving to react with one eye on tradition and the other on progress.

But Aston Villa's history and heritage remain fundamental values that cannot be ignored and all these factors shaped our internal expectations regarding the sponsorship value of our shirt and the esteem in which we hold and cherish whatever symbol or message appears on it.

We regard this partnership as more important and more valuable than any commercial opportunity presented to us.

Our Strategy

Aston Villa is first and foremost a football club. All supporters of the game know that Aston Villa has enjoyed success for more than a century, winning virtually every honour possible in English and European football. We remain determined to retain the historical links and bonds that have existed with significant areas of Birmingham and we see our partnership with Acorns as a central way of doing so. We also believe that economic benefits for the club can be derived from this partnership.

Traditional for-profit businesses will understand our motivation for supporting Acorns and will react positively toward the club and Acorns in terms of their desire to be associated with the partnership.

Implementation

Aston Villa and Acorns are designing a series of initiatives and events that we believe will inform and celebrate the partnership on a local and national level. They are intended to give supporters, staff and players the opportunity to learn about and support Acorns work and their broader mission. The goal of course is to provide significant value and assistance to further the efforts and good work of Acorns.

Conclusion

To some extent, placing Acorns on our match day shirt is an experiment. But it is already an involvement with which we, as an organisation, feel increasingly positive. It is our hope that we are able to introduce this partnership to new and existing business relationships which will generate economic value to support the Club's competitive ambitions and, at the same time giving a truly wonderful organisation a significant platform from which to touch more people.
  • Options
    Great for the charity, probably more important in the long run than a large donation, thousands seeing the name every week - is invaluable. name recognition for a charity makes events and future fundraising activities more marketable and successful and more importantly will significantly increase number of long term donors. Good for Villa - shame they play such boring football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Traditional for-profit businesses will understand our motivation for supporting Acorns and will react positively toward the club and Acorns in terms of their desire to be associated with the partnership.

Aston Villa's Webteam can articulate my thoughts a lot better than I can!
  • Options
    "Traditional for-profit businesses will understand our motivation for supporting Acorns and will react positively toward the club and Acorns in terms of their desire to be associated with the partnership."

And there is the clincher for next years multi-million pound deal with a company employing 11 year olds in a third world country and paying them in cow dung.

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Well done Villa.

Will be interesting to see who follows the charity and how quickly the "You couldn't get a proper sponsor" quips start.

Wish I could predict the lotto numbers as well : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite] Good for Villa - shame they play such boring football.

i thought villa were quite attractive last season , with the pace of agbonlahor and young,
    i didn't mind watching 'the villa'
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite] Good for Villa - shame they play such boring football.[/quote]

i thought villa were quite attractive last season , with the pace of agbonlahor and young,
    i didn't mind watching 'the villa'[/quote]

Sorry that was a little unfair to the team, i retract my quote Martin O'Neill is the most boring man in football!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Martin O'Neill is the most boring man in football!
    Has Curbs really been gone that long?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite] Martin O'Neill is the most boring man in football!

Very strange opinion.

Let me know if you stay awake after meeting Cubs / Megson / Coppell / Sanchez / Keane / Benetez / Moyes / Wenger
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Martin O'Neill is the most boring man in football!

Very strange opinion.

Let me know if you stay awake after meeting Cubs / Megson / Coppell / Sanchez / Keane / Benetez / Moyes / Wenger
    yep, all of the above...don't forget Roy Hodgson
  • Options
    I think Randy Lerner has shown us that all big money football club takeover's don't have to be attached to an egomaniac.
  • Options
    I like Lerner, seems he understands the culture here