Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Broadband recomendation..

edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
Looking to change my Broadband provider (Orange is pants).Looking to pay no more than £15 a month.

Any recomendations?...(sp)

Comments

• Options
    Ive had no problems with BT home hub.....work from home sometimes and it handles really big artwork files well
  • Options
    at least you have a BT line, my broadband is cable and so I think my only option would be to switch to BT for a year or so.
  • Options
    I'm also in the process of leaving Orange, and after looking at the many options available, have gone with O2 as their customer feedback seems to be very good.
    £12.50 a month (or only £7.50 if you've got a phone with them), no connection fee and an 0800 technical helpline.

Orange are losing a lot of customers so will offer you a better deal (some free months and a reduced price after that etc), but in the end I resisted the temptation and got the MAC code to leave.

Whether O2 will live up to the hype is another matter, but I can't believe it will be any worse than Orange...
  • Options
    You got Sky? Use Sky broadband - don;t think i've ever had a problem since i got it 18months ago.
  • Options
    that 02 one do you need a BT line or is one of them portable jobs?

Looking to leave Virgin
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Looking to leave Virgin
    Me too, don't have Sky.
  • Options
    I have 02 having left Orange and its been great. Hardly any down time, good speed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I have 02 having left Orange and its been great. Hardly any down time, good speed.
    I concur.

The big selling point was the unlimited download bandwidth. I work from home, connect to the office and download loads of TV/films, so that was a definite pre-requisite for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]that 02 one do you need a BT line or is one of them portable jobs?

Looking to leave Virgin

Also on Virgin and it's crap so be interested in other recommendations.
  • Options
    o2 needs a BT line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think you do need a BT line for 02...
  • Options
    i am on virgin, and its fast and quality, never had a problem
  • Options
    I'm on a 20MB broadband pipe from Virgin and nothing at the moment can touch it with a bargepole.
    I do need a mortgage to pay for it mind you...
  • Options
    got orange but only recently had problems. used ot be on aol worlds worst internet supplier so doesnt seem that bad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]i am on virgin, and its fast and quality, never had a problem
    Lucky you
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]i am on virgin, and its fast and quality, never had a problem
    Likewise but isn't it the case that it's only as good as the set top box you've got? I used to lose it all the time when I had my old NTL box but now I've got the V+ box (which I think is fantastic by the way) I've had no problems whatsoever. I also think their On Demand stuff puts them ahead of Sky.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    Lucky you
    Indeed, mine is slow and expensive.
  • Options
    Best i ever had was Be, 24meg unlimited service, £18/month when i left them last year because of a house move and it was a minimum 3 month contract. £-£ sky is the best imho which is what i have now but it is considerably slower. Btw JonnyBoy you the man. ;-)
  • Options
    Whatever you get from most of them will depend how close you live to your telephone exchange, cable not so but nearly all of the others run through BT's existing network and your quality will depend entirely on the strength of the connection.

Not even worth thinking about fast broadband from anyone if you live in the sticks basically
  • Options
    Pissed off with Virgin, really liked the reliability of cable when it was Telewest, but ever since Virgin took over I've been traffic-shaped like a ****, had the DNS servers they use go tits up regularly and keep needing to switch to a different upstream to dodge the crappy contention rates on my UBR.

Seriously considering switching to Plusnet or Be but hampered by the fact that i would need a BT line in first before I could do it. My mate lives in Japan and he's got 100Mb/s fibre to his door. Bastard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fibres to the door is a little way off just yet. The future but not just yet!

Unless you fancied moving to Heathrow airport of course
  • Options
    Is Be any good?..
  • Options
    I have just left Pipex - a lying cheating conniving bunch of a*seholes - now owned by another bunch of lying cheating w*nkers Tiscali. Pipex gave me two false MAC Codes (required to move to a new supplier) told me countless lies from the start of my contract with them to the finish. They did the same to my mate. He went to BT and reckons it's brilliant. He says he hasn't had one minute of down time since he switched and his speed has been good even at peak times, whereas he was constantly finding speed issues with Pipex. On his recommendation, I went to BT. I pay £7.95 for the first three months then £15.99 thereafter (18 months contract) and a free Wireless Router. Check out there web-site as they are always changing the offers.
  • Options
    Like i said it's the best i've had. 3 month (most isp's are 12) minimum contract, was going through well over 150 gig/month with no complaints. Just keep all the hardware they send because they want it back when you leave. Used to d/load 700meg files in about 12 mins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Is Be any good?..

got it now... it's pretty amazing to be honest, though hope there's nothing wrong - call centre in Bulgaria or somewhere
  • Options
    AOL is the mutts. never have any problems with it.
  • Options
    Hey.

I'm with madasafish.com:

madasafish.com

Great service, great customer advice and help, plus they dish out Bull Guard Firewall/Antivirus software (which is solid) free for X months.
  • Options
    I have just bought one of those Remote Vodafone USB thingy's for my New Laptop, work fine when you have a Vodafone signal not so well when you don't.