Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Cutty Sark

they still need another £3.5 mill to complete the restoration or part of our heritage is lost. Of course they have had cart loads of cash already and there are many deserving causes but very very sad for our manner if they cant get it. Also quoted in the atricle was this from Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad "----- they had sailed from Deptford,Greenwich and Erith -- the adventurers and settlers;kings ships and ships of men". I guess like a good few older guys on here The Cutty Sark formed part of "my right of passage" as it was a must see with your Dad if you lived in Sarf London as was the Woolwich Ferry and the foot tunnel.
Sad if they cant get the dosh.

PS must read that book sometime .If you dont know it was the book Apocalpse Now was bassed. swop the yanks for Brits and vietnam/cambodia for Africa.

Comments

• Options
    Thats a lot of money for a pub in Thamesmead....
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So what ur saying is there are alot of sailors get in the Cutty Sark ?
  • Options
    £3.5m for a tourist attraction that brings so many punters to Greenwich doesn't sound very much. In fact all those ferry companies that moor up beside it would lose a bomb if the Cutty sark wasn't there. Can't see it being a problem to raise it.
  • Options
    Oi, single parent lesbian muslims in need come first don't ya know!
  • Options
    Heart of Darkness is a fabulous book - one of my all time favourites!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]they still need another £3.5 mill to complete the restoration or part of our heritage is lost. I guess like a good few older guys on here The Cutty Sark formed part of "my right of passage" as it was a must see with your Dad if you lived in Sarf London as was the Woolwich Ferry and the foot tunnel.
    Sad if they cant get the dosh.

Seconded - in fact it gets passed on down the family as I took both my kids many times as well. My son has even included a lot of his photos of the Cutty Sark in his degree work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]So what ur saying is there are alot of sailors get in the Cutty Sark ?

Give us a kiss and I'll tell ya.....
  • Options
    I have personally contributed £200 to the cause over the past two years through sponsorship of an Addick Fan -Kevin Cockram who ran the London Marathon twice in aid of the CS Trust. It would be a massive shame if the ship could not be restored. It was one of my most interesting places to visit as a kid and it needs to be saved/restored.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's a great place to take people who are coming over from different areas/countries or to sit an eat a kebab at after a night at The Hardy. Hope they can salvage it.