Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petrol v Diesel

edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
Need to get a new used car soon, it used to be clear that Diesel was a better bet, cost wise than petrol, but with the big difference these days is it still worth having a diesel, if yoy doi about 10,000 miles a year?

Comments

• When I got my last car 2 years ago I was told that 10k was on the cusp. More miles per year - get a diesel, less get a petrol. Since then diesel seems to have gone up in price more than petrol so my guess is, you'd be better of with petrol.
  • Still diesel for me even though it cost £84 to fill up yesterday as a opposed to £78 for petrol. I will get 600 miles on that tank, petrol 450 if lucky so on that basis it would cost £1400 for the diesel £1733 for the diesel. As ever though it depends on what you buy. Road tax can also be cheaper too. There are some very good diesels to be found too eg VW Passat, BMW 3 series
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Still diesel for me even though it cost £84 to fill up yesterday as a opposed to £78 for petrol. I will get 600 miles on that tank, petrol 450 if lucky so on that basis it would cost £1400 for the diesel £1733 for the diesel. As ever though it depends on what you buy. Road tax can also be cheaper too. There are some very good diesels to be found too eg VW Passat, BMW 3 series

Blimey, how big is your tank?

I pay £55 to fill up with petrol and I get about 410 miles for that.
  • Buy a Hybrid
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]Buy a Hybrid
    Was about to say the same thing!
  • Went to Rochester yesterday and linked up with an old pal of mine who owns a six berth motor launch tied up in the marina there.
    Cost him £790.00 to fill up last week and the club there that he belongs to get their fuel on the cheap as well!
  • 25p a litre in trinidad for petrol
  • [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Still diesel for me even though it cost £84 to fill up yesterday as a opposed to £78 for petrol. I will get 600 miles on that tank, petrol 450 if lucky so on that basis it would cost £1400 for the diesel £1733 for the diesel. As ever though it depends on what you buy. Road tax can also be cheaper too. There are some very good diesels to be found too eg VW Passat, BMW 3 series

There are some amazing diesels out there- factor in extra servicing costs and i'd suggest that if you are doing 10k pa, mainly around town/ london you'd be better off with petrol, if you can get to a comfortable 50ish plus for the majority of those 10k, a diesel is probably your best bet..
  • Depends what sort of car you want - if you want something small for and around London a Citroen C1 (plus it's siblings) or a Smart which are all petrol are best; if you are doing 15,000 miles plus almost any diesel - My VW Polo diesel averages 55 mpg including a daily short distance London drive along with further afield motorway stuff.
  • Smart do have a diesel engine version, not that many around but they have been available for a few years now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not much help as you're looking at second hand but the new generation engines that VW Audi and BMW are using are exceptional. For the BlueMotion Golf, VW are quoting 62.8 mpg (combined) and the emissions are really low (119) meaning road tax is just £35, it's congestion charge exempt and it makes a massive difference for company car drivers.

As the comments on here show, it's about more than just the price of the fuel. Diesel is silly expensive for sure but all other factors (mpg, wear and tear, service intervals etc) may still mean diesels are more cost effective. Best bet would be to pick out a couple of models and get proper info on them for all the variables - even down to the cost of tyres - so you get a true picture of the cost of running the car.
  • Just bought an Audi A4 Avant with a 2.0ltr Diesel and took it for its first long run (Bristol) this weekend.

70 ltr tank costing £90 to fill but got c 50 mpg from it this weekend.
  • edited June 2008
    Great thanks for your advice, I'll let you know how I get on.