Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pound Shops - What's The Point?

edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
I write this in frustration having tried for the best part of 20 minutes to sharpen a pencil with a crap pencil sharpener that my wife bought from a pound shop. I'd like to know, is there anything that can be bought as a safe bet from a pound shop or is it all complete garbage? As far as i see it, the only point in them is to walk around annoying the shop assistants by asking how much everything costs.

Comments

• Options
    As in the Kathern Tait show when gran is in the £1 shop " wot a load of shit"
  • Options
    I bought a big ball of green garden twine in the place that used to be Tesco in Eltham - works fine for me! :-p
  • Options
    I always buy my jiffy bags in a poundland shop it's a damn sight cheaper than other stationery retail outlets.If you want a decent pencil sharpener i've got loads.
  • Options
    I thought £1 was a lot of money for a pencil sharpener?
  • Options
    I recommend the shampoo in them places, trust me!!! : )
  • Options
    Pound Shops - What's The Point?

Yeah.especially when there's a 99p shop round the corner!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I recommend the shampoo in them places, trust me!!! : )

Agreed, you may not be able to read the instructions but top brands for a quid can't bad
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I thought £1 was a lot of money for a pencil sharpener?[/quote]

It's certainly a lot for one that doesn't work!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I thought £1 was a lot of money for a pencil sharpener?

This was my first thought also.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]I thought £1 was a lot of money for a pencil sharpener?

But it was one of those ones with a hopper and a handle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]

I used to be in the retail trade and we used to do some "£1 line" items. The point is that some are good and some are crap but the price sells them all. They make their money because some of the stuff they sell is relatively expensive at a £1 - like, dare I say, the pencil sharpener which would/could be sold for 50p or maybe less. On the other hand stuff like toothpaste and certain branded stuff they do, the margins are pretty low for them to sell at that price point.

The other main retail advantage is the saving in staff costs from not having to price things up all the time.

With producer price inflation running very high at the moment, it must be bringing into question the whole £1 shop model. They are going to be selling less quality items (I know it's hard to believe) to keep their margins up.
  • Options
    decimal
  • Options
    Come to Chicago - they have $1 shops here, you could have got a pencil sharpener for half price. The air fare may have made the whole thing not viable but depends on how much value you put in having a sharp pencil.

By the way, I used to steal mine from Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    I steal my pencils from Ikea.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Maybe you're turning the pencil the wrong way or (and more likely), you're trying to sharpen the wrong end.
    I always make a point (no pun intended) of buying the ones with the big f'off rubbers on the end so I don't have that problem, it normaly works for me and the guys in the office anyway.
  • Options
    use a pen knife. Swiss army is good but other brands are available.
  • Options
    whats wrong with good old fashioned whittling!??!
  • Options
    I went to the 99p shop and bought some vouchers for the pound shop.
  • Options
    They are great for businesses

Were i used to work they were a life saver as we dealt with Licenced childrens bath and hair stuff

Of course you have 8-10 licences a year they are not all going to work so to clear dead stock which barely covered teh cost of the product and licence fee, it saves paying teh warehouse teh monthly fee for the pallet space.

Also come end of year helps push numbers up to hit sales targets even though them lines did not make profit seeing a £60-70 grand invoices going through kept corperate happy