Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Airman-Rock S--AFKA

Very very early days but do u think the club will do anything re Rob Nox ?

Should we do something ?

some people have already put 3 or 4 CAFC shirts down there ?

Comments

• It is a very awkward situation as it is a very unmanageable case of where do you draw the line between club involvement or not, and what is acceptable or seen as a worthy contribution ?

What i will say is i am aware that the club has sent flowers to other high profile passings of Charlton fans in recent weeks, and i would expect they would probably do the same in this instance.
  • a tragic waste of a young life but what can we really expect Charlton to do. Was he actually a Charlton fan ? If so then I'm sure the Club will send flowers/a representative to the funeral. We already have set in place a day each season where a minutes silence will be held for all those that have passed away during the previous twelve months and surely that will suffice. The Club cannot make distinctions between the various deaths of fans, in my opinion.
  • edited May 2008
    Large i have noidea if he was or not to be honest. Ithought the fact that there are at least four differant CAFC shirts down where the flowers are seems to say he was ?

So ifthats the gesture by the club then Ok. The question is do we do something or not ?
  • Plz for the love of god no more minutes silences at football games. Why the hell should we be compelled to hang our heads for some arbitary fatality? These displays of public grief are so false. If people want to mourn an individual or an event do it privately not at a bloody sporting event.
  • I agree somewhat with Santa, but why dont we as supporters do something independant of the club, ie as Charlton lifers.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Large i have noidea if he was or not to be honest. Ithought the fact that there are at least four differant CAFC shirts down where the flowers are seems to say he was ?

So ifthats the gesture by the club then Ok. The question is do we do something or not ?

He was, quoted in the Daily Mail yesterday.
  • I dont know if you realise Santa that we have a yearly minutes silence to mark passing of all charlton fans. Not that anyone has mentioned that anyway. And if you dont like it, tough, its here to stay.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Large i have noidea if he was or not to be honest. Ithought the fact that there are at least four differant CAFC shirts down where the flowers are seems to say he was ?

Us, as in CL ? Don't know. The Club, through their community work, could I suppose get players to visit schools locally with the message that carrying knives isn't big and it isn't clever. At the end of the day though if there isn't a big enough deterrant in terms of punishment then I can't see the situation improving. Build more prisons and bang 'em up for at least five years I say, make life mean life. We need to clean the streets of this filth.
  • No I mean as a donation, laying of flowers etc from us as supporters and users of this website.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Plz for the love of god no more minutes silences at football games. Why the hell should we be compelled to hang our heads for some arbitary fatality? These displays of public grief are so false. If people want to mourn an individual or an event do it privately not at a bloody sporting event.

I'm glad we have a minutes silence every year and next years will be even more poigniant after the passing of Dave Davies. I knew him but not well enough, in my opinion, to attend the funeral and I for one will use that minute to remember Dave. I suggest if you don't like it then wait on the concourse until it's over, then you won't be compelled to observe it will you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Large i didnt mean we clean up the streets fella all black masks and baseball bats hold on though --------------------------actually thinking of it -------no we couldnt ?could we ?????????????????????????????????????????????

No i meant something down at the site where he was murdered of for his family ?
  • DA9 lets do it then mate. No need for others if they dont wantto thats their call.

Ill get something from club shop as i gave all my stuff to Deano. You let me know how and when .
  • "a football shirt from his beloved Charlton Athletic"

that settles that then... a lot of poeple associated with the club have really suffered this year, I've never known the publicised loss of so many so soon... once again RIP... and I would be happy to go along with any CAFC plan for condolences
  • But the silences have become more and more common over the years and have ever more tenuous connections to the club or even football. I can't remember the event but i remember a season or two ago wondering who decides what tragedy gets the treatment and what doesn't. Seems we're turning an individual reaction/emotion of grief or respect into a forced communal thing which i think is just wrong.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Large i didnt mean we clean up the streets fella all black masks and baseball bats hold on though
    actually thinking of it
    no we couldnt ?could we ?????????????????????????????????????????????

No i meant something down at the site where he was murdered of for his family ?

I realise that, anyway vigilantism isn't the way to sort it out. I can't see any reason why we can't donate for flowers from CL or a donation to a charity of the families choice.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]But the silences have become more and more common over the years and have ever more tenuous connections to the club or even football. I can't remember the event but i remember a season or two ago wondering who decides what tragedy gets the treatment and what doesn't. Seems we're turning an individual reaction/emotion of grief or respect into a forced communal thing which i think is just wrong.

I agree entirely and that is why the Club has one dedicated game each season to remember all those that have passed away over the whole year so negating the need for a number of individual silences.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I agree somewhat with Santa, but why dont we as supporters do something independant of the club, ie as Charlton lifers.

I would be more than happy to make a small contribution, but these things are harder to organise than they sound to be honest, particularly out of season.

The Meningitus one i did for Adam Stuart worked well because people gave me cash in person before a game, or then donated direct to a meningitus charity. The one i did for a terminal ill kid i got left short on from people who pledged but failed to pay, and the Charity Points comp we did this season i'm still chasing some to pay up.
  • Will look into GH and see what I can do, maybe a paypal thing of sorts.
  • Paypal wot the chuff is that ? i know a few pals who dont pay ?

Was thinking of just doing something in next few days.

DA9 you working all week fella ?
  • Off Thursday, got to pick the jetsetter up from Heathrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally, I think flowers are a total waste of money hence why the wife never gets any !!

If we could find out a charity that the family might have a link to then why not a donation page like AFKA sets up on justgiving. That way no one has to worry about collecting money or being out of pocket when people fail to cough up.
  • Good idea, will look into that this afternoon
  • edited May 2008
    would be more than willing to chip in on that , be nice if we could find out if his family would like a charity donation rather than flowers