Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Sun gets caught out on fabricated story.....

From The Sun Online
Apology to Marco Materazzi
IN several prominent articles in July 2006, we wrongly stated that during the World Cup final the Italian Defender, Marco Materazzi, used vile racist abuse by calling Zinedine Zidane the son of a terrorist whore thus goading Zidane into angrily headbutting him.
We also said that Mr Materazzi was a hypocritical liar when he denied it and was rightly condemned for what he said.
We withdraw these allegations and accept that Mr Materazzi did not say anything of a racist nature.
We apologise to Mr Materazzi for any distress caused and have agreed to pay him damages.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Taking out the legalese what that means is: "We can't believe that Italian bastard read the article. How bad is our luck?"

Comments

• Options
    I can't remember now, did any other papers "report" this, or was it just the super-soaraway scum?
  • Options
    I seem to remember every single paper had a different angle on this, from son of a whore right up the scale to son of a bomber, a sure fire way that they were all speculating for their "exclusive"
  • Options
    Ha! ........ it's all in your supa-throwaway Scum.

You'll find more honesty in the Beano.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I seem to remember every single paper had a different angle on this, from son of a whore right up the scale to son of a bomber, a sure fire way that they were all speculating for their "exclusive"

No, The Sun really went for it on this one and actually "quoted" the remarks from Materazzi as if they had them down verbatim which is a clear libel. The other papers speculated what he might have said which is dangerous but not neccesary libellous as long as it can be argued that you are not being unfair to Materazzi.
    I remember reading The Sun story at the time and thinking "Christ, how did they get this?" seeing as nobody else had it and thinking that, surely, they could not have just made it up - silly me.
  • Options
    Who gives a fcuk?
    Italy is built on a foudation of corruption and cheating. Fact.
    Not just football but the whole structure of their nation.
    Even in the last WC they only beat Australia to progress by blatant cheating.
    They should never have got to the final.
    Call it a generalisation but it's true, their dynasties, governments and sport all corrupt, even in the 21st C.
    Nice food and wine, beautiful women, historical cities,art and culture, great holiday resorts.....but as for fair play - rotten to the core.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Who gives a fcuk?
    Call it a generalisation but it's true, their dynasties, governments and sport all corrupt, even in the 21st C.
    Nice food and wine, beautiful women, historical cities,art and culture, great holiday resorts.....but as for fair play - rotten to the core.

Having read this I'm now not so chipper about having an Italian Head Coach fronting up England. Bring back the ice cool incorruptable Swede I say!! :-)
  • Options
    Be that as it may Chirpy, its still out of order for them to make up the quotes, especially when they are so incendiary and could put Materazzi at great personal risk if some Islamic nutcase thinks he actually said them.
    The truth is that only two people know what was said, Zidane and Materazzi, and neither has publicly revealed it as far as I know.
    Zidane has a notoriously short fuse and its quite possible that Materazzi might have said something football related and reasonably mundane and Zidane just exploded because of the pressure of the game.
    Also to be fair to the Italians, their bloke might have dived against the Aussies in WC06 but they themselves were robbed blind against South Korea in WC02 - one of the funniest things I have ever seen now I think about it!
  • Options
    F*ck me, the Sun in made up story shock!! What should we expect from the smelliest turd in the gutter press. They are fighting a circulation war and all are dieing slowly, some more slowly than others. I wonder whether the damages paid to Materazzi and the others they libel balances out the revenues they secure on the back of their lies, half-truths and self-opinionated rubbish: quite frankly I doubt it?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Who gives a fcuk?
    Just like the English, Dutch, Spanish, Normans, Vikings, Greeks, Egyptians, Phoenicians, Sumerians and every other culture that has ever existed or will ever exist. Jesus wept, is there ANYONE left on this poxy island who isn't a jingoistic narrow-minded generalising daily mail reading bigot? Or does the fact that you justified the existence of the Italian people by chucking in a throwaway line about their usefulness to the rest of the world (we can all go there and get pissed up, ogle the birds, take in a bit of the cultchya and get a nice tan) more than compensate for calling them all corrupt cheats? You know what Chirpy? I've just come back from a week in Italy. I didn't see a single stabbing, fight over a 'bird', dog turd in the street, car accident, gang of feral teenagers or shooting the entire time I was there. But then again, I guess we can be excused all that in England because we're not 'corrupt' and don't 'cheat'.

Sorry, but yours is hands down the stupidest post on this board ever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Jesus wept, is there ANYONE left on this poxy island who isn't a jingoistic narrow-minded generalising daily mail reading bigot?

Me. I wouldn't wipe my arse on the Daily Mail let alone read it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Me. I wouldn't wipe my arse on the Daily Mail let alone read it.[/quote]

Ditto
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Me. I wouldn't wipe my arse on the Daily Mail let alone read it.

Ditto[/quote]

well me, wouldnt read any form of newspaper. I hate journalists, they are nothing but pond life.
  • Options
    The media lies end of. Moral panics, jingostic bolloxx etc etc. Its not only the lies but the angel they put on "news" which is bollox as well.
    Sky yesterday re the young lad murdered in Dewsbury its starts off as saying "asian youth murdered" well what the f**k has his race got to do with it ? Then of course says "police are looking at a possible racial motive in this murder" NO SKY WAS ! That was on their web site , ontheir news channel they reporter at the scene said much the same thing, then asked a local counciler who had just visited the parents ofthe murdered kid "was this a racist murder ?" ne said he hadnt herd anything like that "are race relations good here?" he then asked. The reply he got was yes it is. It was only early evening when the police had charged 3 asian kids with this murder that Sky took the comment offtheir web site.
    So why did they say it? just for pure total sensationalist awful jurnalism. It dosnt make this kids death any more awful , and dosnt make his parents pain any more hurtful that his murderers were Asian does it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I wonder whether the damages paid to Materazzi and the others they libel balances out the revenues they secure on the back of their lies, half-truths and self-opinionated rubbish: quite frankly I doubt it?

If it didn't turn a profit they wouldnt do it
  • Options
    Thank Christ for that post, Leroy - the more I read this site, the more I wonder whether I've stumbled on the Daily Mail's forum.

Goonerhater - Dewsbury's got a long history of racial tension. It may well have been that the police deliberately fed Sky a duff line to help them with their investigation. Better the police look like fools, or make Sky look like fools but end up getting the right result in the end.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No mate how the hell is it right that it was an "asian man mudered" but the two kids murdered in Lee and Sidcup their race isnt mentioned? How about then by suggesting a hint of "racism" in their reporting a asian gang goes out and murders a white kid ? If they had evidence after the event thats differant. Then give it full power.

The counciler was an asian man who was interviewed by Sky, his word he didnt see the area as having any racical issues , but you in London do ?

Who are the real racists ? people who are xenophobic loons who gob off or people who stir up fabricated racial hatred but have control of the media ?

Is a scum bag more of a scum bag because he stabs one to death and injures 4 others over a mobile phone or someone who does it for the colour of ones skin or the faith?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Sorry, but yours is hands down the stupidest post on this board ever.

Thank you. Do I get a prize?
  • Options
    Goonerhater - let me repeat myself.

The police probably fed a duff line to Sky to aid the investigation. If a bunch of Asian kids did it, and Sky announced the police were looking for a bit of Asian kids, you wouldn't see the suspects for dust. If Sky announce the police are looking for a bunch of white kids, the Asians would relax and then get nicked.

This is more about the way the police control information at the time, to aid the investigations and to calm heightened tensions. In the Jimmy Mizen case, a Turkish lad has now been charged - if the police had announced earlier that they were looking for a Turkish man, you'd risk idiots going out and bricking kebab houses, which would do nothing but make matters worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Goonerhater - let me repeat myself.

The police probably fed a duff line to Sky to aid the investigation. If a bunch of Asian kids did it, and Sky announced the police were looking for a bit of Asian kids, you wouldn't see the suspects for dust. If Sky announce the police are looking for a bunch of white kids, the Asians would relax and then get nicked.

This is more about the way the police control information at the time, to aid the investigations and to calm heightened tensions. In the Jimmy Mizen case, a Turkish lad has now been charged - if the police had announced earlier that they were looking for a Turkish man, you'd risk idiots going out and bricking kebab houses, which would do nothing but make matters worse.

Agreed, although the sad thing about that Lee case was that many people jumped to the conclusion that his killer was black and that the police were not releasing his name for PC reasons when, as you point out, the police were in fact acting in the wider best interests of the community.
    I feel very sorry for the old bill actually, sure there are some bastard coppers out there (most of them seem to police our away games) but some of them work their nuts off under enormous pressure on these sort of cases to get a result and in the Mizen case and the Sidcup case they have picked up suspects within hours but get no credit whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The same may well have happened by saying it was "racist" or hinting that it could be. An asian gang go out an murder a white kid.

Why was it reported that the murdered kid was Asian. I dont remember the kid in Lee or Sidcup being called "white". They put a racial angel on this from the outset.

So are we saying it was better for the OB in Lee not to give out the decription on the scum bag because there may have been some sort of backlash ? Thats 100% wrong if they did. I really hope they didnt do that and i hope the reason is the knew who did it and they didnt want him to do a runner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solets get this right:

It was ok in dewsbury to say the kid was murdered was asain and then hint loudly that it might be racial BUT !!!!

In Lee the police kept a lid on it in case there was some sort of backlash and people hinting the the guy who did it was black well they were racist !!!!!!!

FFS thats not a contradiction then is it ?
  • Options
    GH: What the Inspector is saying is that if the old bill had released a statement saying that they were looking for a young Turkish middle-eastern man in connection with the Mizen case then there is a strong possibility in such a traumatic case as this that people would have gone out on revenge missions and deliberately targeted the Turkish community etc.
    Let's face facts, if one of our mates was murdered like that and the old bill gave us a heads up on the killer then there is every chance that we would go out and try to level the scores.
    The old bill are unbelievably busy and under-manned as it is so the last thing they need when they are trying to track down a serious violent offender is to have to deal with a whole bunch of other violent offences that have been triggered by people trying to square the ledger.
    Clearly, the old bill knew the guy in the frame for the Mizen murder either because of his previous or a description (probably both) so there was no need for them to seek wider public involvement in identifying him and, therefore, every incentive to avoid any revenge attacks.
    Incidentally, the Japanese police on Okinawa and elsewhere where there is a US military presence also do not reveal when they are searching for US military personnel involved in a violent crime (usually rape) that they are searching for a Yank because they do not want the locals stirred up and getting involved in revenge attacks.
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited May 2008
    This might be a bit naive of me to say GH, but the general assumption is that in any description of a person in this country is that they are white unless stated otherwise. I don't necessarily agree with it being the way to do things but it is the case. We can all be guilty of it and sorry to use a quote of yours to prove the point but what relevance to the story is the colour of the lady's skin in this post from you?:
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]was standing at front of bus this morning next to a black lady who i thought at first was a ticket inspector. However was wasnt she was giving instruction to the driver who must have been new. She says to him as one stage " Kids are difficult, some show their passes and some dont. I used to always challenge em.,f they didnt show their pass i wasnt having no crap on my bus !" im thinking good on u love when she goes on to say to him " mind you i dont recomend you get out of the cabin like i did , as i got threatened with a knife three times" !!!!! FFS, not sure what areas she was talking about but this was on the 89.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]if the police had announced earlier that they were looking for a Turkish man, you'd risk idiots going out and bricking kebab houses, which would do nothing but make matters worse.

But it's ok to hint it was a racist attack and some idiot stabs a white kid in revenge?

[cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]they have picked up suspects within hours but get no credit whatsoever.

I was under the impression that was their job?
  • Options
    Stu, do you not like getting credit for a job you've done well?
  • Options
    Yes, I like getting credit for a job I've done well, I certainly don't expect it though.
  • Options
    Thats because you never do a job well. ;-)
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Yes, I like getting credit for a job I've done well, I certainly don't expect it though.

Ah! The true Charlton fan in you is coming out! "What a great goal Stu, why aren't you clapping?"

"Paid to do it ain't he?"

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Thats because you never do a job well. ;-)

Busted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]if the police had announced earlier that they were looking for a Turkish man, you'd risk idiots going out and bricking kebab houses, which would do nothing but make matters worse.

But it's ok to hint it was a racist attack and some idiot stabs a white kid in revenge?
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]they have picked up suspects within hours but get no credit whatsoever.
    I was under the impression that was their job?

Oooh, what rapier like wit, I wish I had though of that. It is their job and one that they have done bloody well in very difficult circumstances and you don't think they deserve any credit? For picking up TWO possible violent attackers within days/hours of both incidents taking place?
    I guess someone had better let your boss know that you won't expecting any credit, expressed either financially or verbal, next time you perform well in whatever it is you do.
    If the "law and order" crowd on here want things to change then a bit of respect for the police would not be a bad way to start, especially since some people want to dump all the responsibility on solving crime to them - an impossible task.