Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

crystal palace v brighton

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
what is that all about?? a naff club in sussex with the history of a pea,is it anything to do with palace playing in the sussex league or something,then again they are the most inoffensive clubs on the planet i guess,what i cant fathom is why there boards go on about nothing but charlton?? creepy stuff.please someone enlighten to this heated rilvary that no fucker takes serious.

Comments

• Options
    they only hate brighton

most certainly not charlton

we are out of their league...
  • Options
    seagulls vs eagles i think it's something to do with the nickname changing from glaziers.
  • Options
    the battle of the church fete fans.
  • Options
    alan mullery has got something to do with it i hear!
  • Options
    I think it has something originally to do with the fights between the mods and rockers in the sixties that spilled over into a rivalry between the clubs.
  • Options
    behave yourself.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Curbey[/cite]seagulls vs eagles i think it's something to do with the nickname changing from glaziers.

Brighton used to be called the dolphins
  • Options
    I thought it was all to do with the railway. Brighton being on end of the Croydon line and Palarse being from Croydon, therefore there were alot of Palarse fans between Croydon and Brighton. Brighton would therefore take a big following to Sellout and vice versa.
  • Options
    bing your almost taking this charade serious
  • Options
    its a battle for the crown of 'gayest town in southern england'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]bing your almost taking this charade serious

Woops, sense of humour bypass alert!! Lol.
  • Options
    never had one to bypass bing
  • Options
    I thought their rivalries came from the 50's and 60's when they were both 4th division teams competing against each.At the time they were "local" rivals because Charlton were either 1st or 2nd division. Millwall were also down there but let's face it they weren't gonna want them as their rivals, as they would have got mullered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]never had one to bypass bing

I was talking about me mate - I didn't spot the wind up.
  • Options
    To the best of my knowledge the rivalry started in the mid 70's when Palace were managed by Venables and Brighton by Mullery. Both clubs were about about the same standing, with about the same support, but Venables and Mullery had a strong dislike for each other, and it seemed to boil over to the fans. The culmination of the managers dislike for each other was during a 3 game series in the FA cup when Mullery threw down a 10 bob note (50p to the younguns), and said Palace fans weren't worth that.

I know the rivalry is laughed at by many on here, but there have been some very heated battles in that time, which of course both sides claiming victory, but with Brighton - Palace games becoming rarer, the rivalry is certainly getting less.
  • Options
    For a more detailed explanation, you could always look at the link below.

http://www.palace-echo.net/bha1.shtml
  • Options
    so u have many a ruck and hate each other over 50p LOL. Good job tango man wasn't ok the scene in them days we would have had to have Kate Adie commentating on your matches if it want Palace u couldn't make it up
  • Options
    Budgie is that articale a DOUBLE page spread
  • Options
    bless talking about there rilvarly,no fucker takes it serious,hence why they try to convince people about it,about as natural as drinking urine.
  • Options
    I think its a three page one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just saw that..heated battles lmao!!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If Palace had embarassed us in recent years the way that we have frequently embarassed them, I'd probably make up another rivalry as well. Just as illogical as their Brighton one.

Those Ruddy Cowdenbeathians!!
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    i quite like bournemouth chunes,just need there manager to insult us after a league cup game or something grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cherries
  • Options
    The main point is that Brighton pose no threat - they are playing in a converted Athletics stadium, a league below our fearless Eagles & the frequency of a Palarse-Brighton clash is about twice per decade. I suspect though that if Brighton re-emerged as a force, like they were in the early 80's, Palarse would start saying that their real rivals are AFC Wimbledon. It's laughable.
  • Options
    You never know, its only a few years ago, it was thought we'd never play you again, and yet here we are again waiting to play for two seasons in a row.

In fact I'm sure Brighton will soon be rising from league one, once there new stadium is built, I'm convinced they will attract bigger crowds, and will be able to build a team good enough at least for the Championship.
  • Options
    yep brighton are a well supported club,looking at there past stats
  • Options
    None of us should be too smug, things change in football very, very quickly.

If we don't go up this season then the budget will be cut again and we might be here for a long while and it might not be too long before we even have to start making trips to that shithole in New Cross to play the BNP Select XI again.
  • Options
    My that history was a fascinating read.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-). There really doesn't seem to be much in it at the end of the day. It has to be down to a geographical closeness (via the Croydon railway corridor). Sure managers hated one another but if Mullery had been the manager of Birmingham and not Brighton, do you think the fans would have given a flying f*ck? I'm not surprised that Mullery was hated, he certainly didn't make many friends at the Valley when managing us and then f*cked off as soon as the going got slightly tough.
  • Options
    The culmination of the managers dislike for each other was during a 3 game series in the FA cup when Mullery threw down a 10 bob note (50p to the younguns), and said Palace fans weren't worth that.

That note ceased being legal tender with decimalisation, which took place in 1971 and therefore well before the incident in question, unless of course Mullery carried around with him a wad of worthless ten bob notes.

Also from the link the 1974 Cup tie preceeded Palace being known as the Eagles - I thought that didn't come in until a couple of seasons later when Malcolm Allison wanted a more aggressive nickname to replace the origibal "Glaziers"?

At worst there seems to have been some bad blood over a long forgotten cup tie added to which there is a geographical oddity - with Brighton and Croydon being at opposite ends of a train track. Given that both clubs have hardly played each other in recent times it does seem a little strange for the Palace fans to maintain this enmity, unless of course it's only perpetuated because it appears to be the only time that Palace have invariably come out on top.