Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fav British Boxer of all time

2»

Comments

• Options
    so other than the Yanks, Mexico,Cuba(past), possibly a few more latin American countries , who else is up there other than us?

cant think of any European countries. Thailand and some ofthe asian countries at the lower weights are good.
  • Options
    Not really a comment about the overall quality of a country's boxers, just that I think ours have been content or smart enough to go for the least line of resistance. Calzaghe, for example could not have had the career he's had, if he was American.

I'd say Mexico are well ahead of us, along with Russia, Puerto Rico and Canada. Nobody anyplace close to the US, because their boxing public know the game a lot better.

At amateur level any number of countries are miles ahead of us including much of europe , it's been years since Britain's taken a gold medal at the olympics (Cubans don't do pro-boxing, but at Amateur level I'd be surprised if they don't end up number one at the next olympics).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Not really a comment about the overall quality of a country's boxers, just that I think ours have been content or smart enough to go for the least line of resistance. Calzaghe, for example could not have had the career he's had, if he was American.

I'd say Mexico are well ahead of us, along with Russia, Puerto Rico and Canada. Nobody anyplace close to the US, because their boxing public know the game a lot better.

At amateur level any number of countries are miles ahead of us including much of europe , it's been years since Britain's taken a gold medal at the olympics (Cubans don't do pro-boxing, but at Amateur level I'd be surprised if they don't end up number one at the next olympics).

Audley Harrison......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Not really a comment about the overall quality of a country's boxers, just that I think ours have been content or smart enough to go for the least line of resistance. Calzaghe, for example could not have had the career he's had, if he was American.

Audley Harrison......

and a 17 year old Amir Khan got a silver....
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot Audley. Complete mental blackspot there. Still if he's evidence of our strength in the amateur ranks...
  • Options
    Prince Nassim. Turned up like a whirlwind. Surprised the boxing world by 'throwing punches from different angles' and switching stances, something martial artists have been doing for years. At his best he was compulsive viewing, arrogant c*ck though.

Nigel Benn was the best pound for pound British boxer I have ever seen. Does Steve Collins count as British, he beat Benn when Benn was past it. Everyone goes on about Calazghe, but he fought all but his last opponant at home. Benn went to the States and bashed up Iran Barkley (then considered to be the best pound for pound fighter in the world), fought and beat the then best middleweight Gerald Mclelland (IMO the best fight ever) and had two wars with Eubank, also he spanked Eubank in that show about Roman Gladiators, he tore him to pieces, really wanted to hurt Eubank. Benn still has the fight in his eyes, Eubank does not, Benn is a natural warrior and was a decent Kickboxer as well.

McGuigan was very special in his prime too.
  • Options
    that mclelland fight was a cracker a real fight shame the shite talk from gerald bit him on his own ass
  • Options
    mccall had not long came out of a crack rehab clinic when he fought bruno,about month i think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]mccall had not long came out of a crack rehab clinic when he fought bruno,about month i think.

And was reportedly in a nightclub living it up the night BEFORE the fight and he still only narrowly lost!!!
  • Options
    not my favourite but i liked to watch jonny armour never took a step backwards in the ring cut too easily but very gutsy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have got eight boxers going to the Olympics this year thats 7 more than in 2004.We also have our first amateur world champion in Frankie Gavin.So amateur boxing is probably at its strong as we have ever seen in Britain.

Frankie GAVIN