Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ryan Air experience

edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
Just getting into the Holiday spirit...

They charge extra for checked in luggage per bag (less if you pay at reservation stage) and a checking in fee (less if you do it online)

You can't pool your weight allowance even if on the same reservation/or your child.

eke

Comments

• Options
    Just the kind of hidden extras the government is trying to crack down on. They are an odious company.
  • Options
    The fan fare on arrival if you're on time is a cringe worthy experience!
  • Options
    Absolutely, they're basically only a good value airline if you can check in online and don't have any hold baggage. Otherwise, by the time you finish paying for all the extra bits and bobs they're no cheaper than anyone else.
  • Options
    Can't stand them...

Flights always late
    Shabby planes
    Prices inc. fees for all sorts way in excess of stated fare

Go Easyjet!

And while you are there, if you are going to Europe check out Easyjet's (relatively) new Holidays packages... massive savings on Expedia and Last Minute rates... been to both Barcelona and Lisbon with them to great hotels for cheap prices
  • Options
    To be honest, I've flown with them several times and only been delayed (slightly) once.

Even of you do add on the extras (which admittedly have increased over the last couple of years) they're still pretty reasonable.
  • Options
    Virgin, up stairs...
    The only way to fly!
  • Options
    Easyjet are only marginally better, and are quickly catching up with Ryanair with the hidden charges. We always get charged for every kilo we are overweight, whilst others seem to get away with murder.

A friend had a terrible experience with globespan last year, which resulted in them making a (fully justified) claim under the supposed international compensation rules. They just said they were based in Canada, and the rules didn't count...
  • Options
    they charge you for being fat? eke...
  • Options
    You jest raz, but how come the two 17 stone plus porkers who sat on the seats opposite us last time we flew back from the UK (their joint lardy arses making the seat inbetween them impossible for Kate Moss to squeeze into) pay the same as me for their seat, but I get clobbered twelve quid for having 2 extra kilos in me suitcase???

It's not right I tell thee.
  • Options
    no my kid flew to Ireland for a comp charged left right and centre for shit

Never use them again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If flying Ryanniar pay for a sports bag i,e Ski bag and put what you want in there. They dont weigh them. Just back from holiday and had tons of stuff in my ski bag as well as my ski.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]You jest raz, but how come the two 17 stone plus porkers who sat on the seats opposite us last time we flew back from the UK (their joint lardy arses making the seat inbetween them impossible for Kate Moss to squeeze into) pay the same as me for their seat, but I get clobbered twelve quid for having 2 extra kilos in me suitcase???

17 stone? Lightweights...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]Virgin, up stairs...
    The only way to fly!

Agreed. Got a free upgrade on a business trip to the States a few years ago - I thought they were awesome.
  • Options
    They tried to kill me the only time I have had an emergency landing and the oxygen masks etc, was on Ryan Air, the generator in the tail of a 737 blew up de-pressurising the plane. Somewhat scary about 10 of the passengers did not get on to the replacement flight!!

New thread - Airplane near death experiences??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Can't stand them...

Flights always late
    Shabby planes
    Prices inc. fees for all sorts way in excess of stated fare

My only flight with them was Stansted to Brussels. I have no intention of using either airport ever again - especially Charleroi - a piss-poor excuse for an airport. Information monitors advising passengers to check in at desks that were shut, flight delayed, a hot day, terminal building had no air con and the only catering facility as a broken drinks machine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]Virgin, up stairs...
    The only way to fly!

Agreed. Got a free upgrade on a business trip to the States a few years ago - I thought they were awesome.

tried to get a free upgrade when we flow to the Bahamas for our honeymoon two years ago. Was told they didn't do them anymore. While we were waiting to board, they called for the first-class passengers to step forward and only one person did ( a Bet Lynch lookalike). I wasn't happy.
  • Options
    Virgin Upper's definitely the best way to fly (and the Heathrow bar is pretty much the best place in the world), but their economy is no better than any other, and I'd say their customr service is worse than Ryanair. I don't see Ryanair as any worse than the others, although the hidden ticket prices are irritating.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]a piss-poor excuse for an airport

oh and another thing - they fly MILES and MILES away from the town centre to "cheaper" airports for them to operate in... EasyJet don't...

case example - Barcelona - Ryan Air fly to Girona... another 100km to Barcelona City Centre and a whole other city entirely...
  • Options
    Anyone who flys from London to Brussels is a cretin, seriously, one of the most pointless air routes about. Same with London to Paris
  • Options
    just booking my ryanair flights to shannon! been done before. not tooooo bad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]just booking my ryanair flights to shannon! been done before. not tooooo bad!

We're using them in a couple of weeks time... flying into Dublin and out of Shannon... with bags, they charged us approx £100 for the two of us, so not bad really.
  • Options
    im not understanding this paying to add a bag? so might not be using them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Anyone who flys from London to Brussels is a cretin, seriously, one of the most pointless air routes about. Same with London to Paris

Wanted to travel to paris this weekend by eurostar but the cost is over £200 return and that's one of the cheaper deals arrive in Paris at 11pm. So it's Stoppetom for me this bankholiday weekend.
  • Options
    You have to pay to put a bag in the hold per bag up to 15kg limit. If book this when you do your reservation initially it saves you some off the price, also same applies to online check-in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]im not understanding this paying to add a bag? so might not be using them.

If you want to put a bag in the hold, then they charge you £6 per bag... but this then also means you cant do online check-in, which then costs you another £6.... Bit of a rip off but they were still the cheapest for us by a mile
  • Options
    so you can't check in online if you have hold luggage?
  • Options
    Correct!
  • Options
    darned...
  • Options
    Oh, and you can also pay an extra £8 to be "one of the first passengers to board to the aircraft" !
  • Options
    do they let you on first with kids?