Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grass/Weeding etc

DA9DA9
edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
Can anyone recommend, rather than trudge around B&Q, a decent feed & weed grass restorer for patchy lawns etc, something that will grow new grass as well as kill weeds etc.

Thanks

P Thrower

Comments

• Options
    A dark green can of aerosol paint.
  • Options
    I've never found anything that really does a good job. if the lawn is pretty much covered in weeds I would say you best bet would be to rip off the top 6inches and start again.

otherwise just get some decent grass seed and twice a week go over the lawn and whip out the weeds ( a little penknife is ideal for getting most of the roots out as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Have you got alot of moss? If so a decent Lawn Sand is a good cheap bet or if you've got a serious amount buy some Sulphate of Iron (which is one of the main active ingredients in Lawn Sand.) If you've got alot of weeds like clover and daisies then buy a lawn weedkiller which has 2,4-D, mecoprop-P and/or dichlorprop-P in it like this one, or Verdone.

Lawn Weedkiller

For a cheap feed buy Sulphate of Ammonia, don't spread it too thick or it will burn the grass.

If you want to a propriatory preparation for feeding a lawn, the go for a spring and summer lawn feed like

Westland Lawn Feed

If you want a combination product and you don't have too many weeds or too much moss, then something like a Weed, Feed and Mosskiller

Westland W,F &M

My tip is kill the weeds and moss first, rake them out, then feed the grass.
  • Options
    Napalm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Napalm

I like that idea, followed up with 6 yards of tarmac ; )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Napalm

I like that idea, followed up with 6 yards of tarmac ; )

Peasants :-)
  • Options
    I'm going to rip up all the grass stuff in my back garden this weekend, get rid of all the cack slate and other masonary then turn the entire area over and level it by hand. Once I've dug out a bit to stop Ketman and Stu falling arse over tit down onto the service road so the back gate is no longer elevated.

Then the new lawn will be laid. Paddy has nothing on me, it will be watered with evian, cut with nail clippers, flattened with GHD straighteners, it will be beautiful.

And it will be guarded with machine gun nests and snipers along the perimeter fence to protect against Chatham pikeys venturing onto it.
  • Options
    you can buy astro turf for the garden now. sounds great for me -
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]Can anyone recommend, rather than trudge around B&Q, a decent feed & weed grass restorer for patchy lawns etc, something that will grow new grass as well as kill weeds etc.

Thanks

P Thrower
    P Thrower ??

lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I'm going to rip up all the grass stuff in my back garden this weekend, get rid of all the cack slate and other masonary then turn the entire area over and level it by hand. Once I've dug out a bit to stop Ketman and Stu falling arse over tit down onto the service road so the back gate is no longer elevated.

Then the new lawn will be laid. Paddy has nothing on me, it will be watered with evian, cut with nail clippers, flattened with GHD straighteners, it will be beautiful.

And it will be guarded with machine gun nests and snipers along the perimeter fence to protect against Chatham pikeys venturing onto it.

I've only ever seen one person fall arse over tit in your gaff, it was YOU!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers for all the info, very useful
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I'm going to rip up all the grass stuff in my back garden this weekend, get rid of all the cack slate and other masonary then turn the entire area over and level it by hand. Once I've dug out a bit to stop Ketman and Stu falling arse over tit down onto the service road so the back gate is no longer elevated.

Excellent idea, have you considered land mines? they leave a nasty scorch mark though
  • Options
    Mate when you go on your hols get someone to phone the OB and tell them someone is buried under the grass in your garden. They will hot foot it round there dig it all up for you.
  • Options
    Land mines are the least of my worries. Cat shit poses a much more present and uncleansable reminder of their being.

And landmines can be diffused with no lasting effects on the area. Cat shit on the other hand......