Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

marcus bent (to Cardiff ?)

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
if we get rid for a mil that would be top class - haha didnt score for them in their last 22 prem games
makes you wonder what kind of ambition wigan have

Comments

• yeah you would think given their aims and position they would have gone for someone like Iwelumo instead!

sadly even someone of Bent's ability is now beyond Charlton
  • According to The Sun Hull are after the £3M rated striker. Yippee.
  • I will drive him there myself if we get £3mill for him!!!!
  • Drive him ??

I'd chuck in a DVD player as well !!
  • How about buy one get one free 'Amdy Faye'
  • [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]How about buy one get one free 'Amdy Faye'

What a great idea
  • Id settle for £300,000 or even if they took him on a years loan.
  • Faye could turn out to be a bonus for us next season, watch this space!
  • I agree- faye would be decent in the championship if pardew can get him motivated.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]How about buy one get one free 'Amdy Faye'[/quote]

Best idea EVER
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe Fayes agent could get him motivated playing football not just getting motivated by money.
  • £3m isn't too unrealisitc.

He scored a few goals last year and is proven at Prem level.

So take him Hull. Please.
  • Ha! You can just see it:

Marcus & Faye don't get sold - because no one wants them.
    So Pards ends up playing them because of injury crisis - they're are desperate to be in the shop window and show how good they can be.

Marcus is top scorer with 23 goals and 33 assists: Player of the Year.

And Faye, playing centre half, is runner up.

Both get new contracts ...... :o)
  • Only 23 goals?
  • Well that's 15 more than he's ever scored before for us ....!
  • [cite]Posted By: Erik_Bloodaxe[/cite]Faye could turn out to be a bonus for us next season, watch this space!

If he does stay and doesn't turn out to be as good as you hope could you please promise not to bang on about him incessantly like you do / did about Paddy?
  • Oggy, have you been on the special scrumpy or something?
  • £2million of this is probably Bent's wages..
  • If we get even close to £1 mill, i'd snatch their hands off even if it's bad business overall. He has the ability but there's something not right with him as his constant moving suggests.
  • Marcus Bent BOGOF...

get Faye thrown in free and if you order before the end of June - you can get Jerome Thomas as an added bonus.

our operators are ready waiting for your call......
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Oggy, have you been on the special scrumpy or something?

Scrumpy, Ali ? .....we're all barmy down here in Oggyland .......
  • Hollyoaks isn't filmed in Charlton though, is it?
  • You're SO behind the times RS - his bird is currently trying to record an album of country stuff in Nashville. :o)
  • I know I'm gonna get caned for this but maybe Amdy Faye is the midfield destroyer we are all crying out for?

I thought he was Dowies best signing (so did Carlsberg before you all muller me!) at first then he just suddenly turned bad. If only we could have that player we saw the first few weekas of 2006/2007 season?
  • If I remember, Faye played very effectively both in midfield & centre back for the first 2 or 3 months of the season.

Then we went up to Newcastle, Faye's old club. The Toon gave him a bit of a torrid time and Faye had a stinker, even though Charlton scrapped out a 0-0 draw.

His confidence & self belief nosedived from that moment on - that match home to Chelsea when he was 1-on-1 with the keeper TWICE and failed to score, showed that he was a grafter and got into the right positions but his self-belief was completely shot.

Maybe that's Faye's problem - nothing more, nothing less ......?
  • Maybe Faye just didn't get a good run of games in the side??

Hahaha.

Just face it we have bought a right barrelload of old poop in the last 3 seasons!
  • Maybe that's Faye's problem - nothing more, nothing less ......?

I'd interpret that as Faye coming in and working hard in his first few matches, perhaps overperforming regarding his actual talent, then getting found out and realising that he just didn't have the tools to compete at Premiership level.

But if he hasn't got the mental strength to endure and then bounce back from the odd bad day at the office then I don't want to know. After all most players raise their games against former opponents, especially those that reject them. That night Faye fully justified the decision by Newcastle to get rid of him. Although by contrast he did later score against Pompey, his other former Prem team. Perhaps that he enjoyed playing at Fratton Park had something to do with it?

Of course if there are any Prem teams reading this having been offered his services and wondering what they are buying, he's a brilliantly talented and versatile player, popular with fans of all the teams he played for...
  • You know what it's like BFR ....... you come in, the team's playing pretty well as a unit even if the results are a bit disappointing and you play your own game naturally without worrying about it.

Then you have one of those days when everything you do goes to rat-shit and then another ...... the harder you try, the worse you get. You start lunging into tackles instead of staying on your feet, you suddenly develop the touch of an elephant, and every pass is overhit - and everybody, players and those watching, is on your back.

So what do you?

You try harder, get more desperate and can't do a thing right. If it's by now a losing team, other players around you are struggling too. And so it goes on until the manager pulls you out of the team and plays you in the stiffs for a few games, with no pressure.

There were plenty of other players in that relegation season that struggled for confidence too, not just Faye

Most players at all levels, even top Pro's, have runs like this from time to time.
    It's just Faye's went on for 18 months.
  • Yep but as you say Faye never seemed to recover after that game, suggesting that it was his good form that was the blip and mediocrity was his level. Looking at the best players that we've had, they haven't necessarily been that talented, but had some character that makes them want to bounce back after a poor game and helps them make careers that their talent doesn't totally justify. Think Radostin Kishishev, Steve Brown etc, they all made a little talent go a long way, Faye doesn't have that, and didn't have that same desire to stamp himself on a game or make himself a name that the fans could respect even if they didn't think much of his talent.

Given our financial constraints at Prem level we need players with cojones and character. Other than those first few games Faye never convinced me that the charge that he was a footballing mercenary was undeserved. A poor buy who has done nothing since to rectify either that charge, or that he possesses more than an average ability to play at Premiership level.
  • Lots of players lose their way, BFR - even Kish, Johnny Robbo when he was first at the club, and all the way back to the likes of Mark Aizlewood in his first season at Charlton who later became skipper and inspiration when getting us promoted back to the top flight, and many more inbetween.

My Pompey mate tells me Faye was well respected at Fratton Park - and he has a decent career record before that, including French title with Auxerre and World Cup Finals appearances with Senegal.

So he's obviously got something to offer. Of course, we've judged him at Prem level and maybe Championship is the right place for him at the moment.

But personally I doubt whether he'll stay. Prem type wages probably means the club will move him on, anyway.
    I expect he'll sign for a club in a French speaking country and that'll be the last we'll ever hear of him.