Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dennis Edwards - 1958 - 1965 Anybody remember him?

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
Just before my time but I notice he made 171 appearances scoring 61 goals. Len & others did you see him play and what was he like?

Comments

• Options
    Dennis Edwards was one of those inside forwards ("what are they?" many will be wondering) who was one of decent, loyal players who showed some nice touches. He was prone to drifting out of games and was probably the weakest line in that fine forward line (before rotating squads meant different line-ups each week) of Lawrie, Matthews, Leary, Edwards, Kinsey. He seemed to be jeered by the crowd more than he deserved, but should be remembered for odd games when he was the best player on the pitch, showing deft touches and scoring goals.
  • Options
    too young ;-).
    wasn't he in the temptations?
  • Options
    Before my time, one old timer reckoned he was known as "Daisy" to the fans. Think he played for Wales while he was with us.
  • Options
    4 years before i was born
  • Options
    He was certainly known as 'Daisy'. And, yes, he played for Wales. 'Dreamy' would have been a better name
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Slightly balding inside forward come striker (centre forward). Physically he looked like a slightly stockier Danny Murphy. I was young so did not really appreciate his qualities at the time because, as has been said by TMA, he went missing during games.

Thinking about him now though he could be described as a poor man's Todorov in that without appearing to do much he'd link "midfield" and "attack" although teams lined up differently back then. He also popped up with his fair share of goals.

He was probably past his peak when i saw him which was early 63 onwards so that maybe another reason he didn't impress me at the time.

Finally I think it was Trevor Edwards not Dennis who played for Wales. Could be wrong though.
  • Options
    I remember Dennis Edwards well, yes agreed he was nicknamed Daisy.

If my memory serves me he's last game for us was against Pompey (old Div 2) we were 1 - 2 down with a few minutes to go. As I had to get a bus that day I decided to leave at that time, leaving early was something I rarely did and regreted it big time that day. I was still waiting for the bus 10 mins later as others who had stayed till the end came along and informed we had one 3 - 2 and Dennis Edwards scored the 2 late goals.

I think it was a week later he joined Pompey,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]I remember Dennis Edwards well, yes agreed he was nicknamed Daisy.

If my memory serves me he's last game for us was against Pompey (old Div 2) we were 1 - 2 down with a few minutes to go. As I had to get a bus that day I decided to leave at that time, leaving early was something I rarely did and regreted it big time that day. I was still waiting for the bus 10 mins later as others who had stayed till the end came along and informed we had one 3 - 2 and Dennis Edwards scored the 2 late goals.

I think it was a week later he joined Pompey,

Yes Edwards went to Portsmouth and Ron Saunders came the other way to us if memory serves me right
  • Options
    Cheers guys, it was just I don't remember much talk about him when I was a lad yet his record suggests he was more than half decent.
  • Options
    dennis edwards is my grandad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just before my time but I notice he made 171 appearances scoring 61 goals. Len & others did you see him play and what was he like?
    Yes I saw him play as a young lad. I think he was probably past his best when I first saw him in early 1963 as he wasn't a "stand out" player for me and, if memory serves me right, was not necessarily first choice for his last season or two as the likes of Firmani, Saunders and Matthews were ahead of him.

I remember him as a balding figure coming from deeper positions which would probably be termed playing in the hole in modern parlance but I was very young so could be mistaken as Fred Lucas was also a balding figure and I might be getting confused!
  • Options
    He was certainly known as 'Daisy'. And, yes, he played for Wales. 'Dreamy' would have been a better name
    He was known as "Daisy" but wasn't it Trevor the full back who played for Wales?
  • Options
    Didn't realise this was an old thread!

Now you have irrefutable evidence that I'm a boring old fart who says the same thing time and time again!

:-)
  • Options
    dennis edwards is my grandad
    Pass on our best wishes Jamal.

As you can read maybe not our best ever player but one who did well for us and is remembered with affection by the old gits amongst us!
  • Options
    He was known as "Daisy" but wasn't it Trevor the full back who played for Wales?
    I think you are right, Len, about Wales. Did he, perhaps, play for the Welsh under 23s? I seem to remember seeing it in the away programmes. Or, am I thinking of someone else?

• Options
    On his day very effective - some great moments in the unforgettable Autumn of '63.
    At times, though, embarrassingly poor. He and the (very) young K Peacock got some stick, and their own song. "Peacock put the kettle on, etc etc, Daisy take it off again, etc etc."
    Trevor was the Welshman - I think Dennis had an England U-23 or B cap.
  • Options
    Welcome Jamal - hope you're grandad is keeping well tho I am far too young to have ever seen him play.

• Options
    i think he came from Corinthian Casuals ,who were a top amateur side at the time.

Micky Stewart and Tony Pawson also came from there.
  • Options
    He was a regular when I first started going to the valley .. moved to Portsmouth
  • Options
    I thought he was an amateur international, and he played for Wycombe before they were a league club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daisy Edwards was a good player, Jamal should be prod of him. My Dad rated him but not the 'old gits' of the time who hung out with him. Skillful comes to mind.
    I preferred Roy Matthews who was so cool but drifted away eventually. Ron Saunders was our saviour when he came in.
  • Options
    I thought he was an amateur international, and he played for Wycombe before they were a league club
    I think this is right.
    Best match I recall - 26 Oct 63 CAFC 5-2 Cardiff. Every forward scored, and each a superb goal. Kenning-Matthews-Firmani-Edwards-Glover. A priceless day.
  • Options
    Im sure Jamal will pass on your thoughts to his grandad GHF.
  • Options
    Remember him very well...the reason he was called Daisy was because he had the unfortunate habit of often falling over and he was always in/on the grass (Ok I know what's coming next!)....hence Daisy.
    Not a bad player Dennis....remember seeing him on the pitch at Pompey a few yers ago when he came out at half time to be presented to both Pompey and Addicks fans....he got a very well deserved round of applause.
  • Options
    Daisy Edwards was a good player, Jamal should be prod of him. My Dad rated him but not the 'old gits' of the time who hung out with him. Skillful comes to mind.
    I preferred Roy Matthews who was so cool but drifted away eventually. Ron Saunders was our saviour when he came in.
    As I recall, Saunders came is as a player just as Edwards and Firmani were leaving. Towards the end of Edward's time at the valley, we were at one time running neck and neck with the Don Revie Leeds team in the early 60s. I have vivid memories of Edwards, presumably singled out by Revie as our 'playmaker', being kicked all afternoon by Bremner and Hunter and when they were tired of it, Jack Charlton had a go. Those was the good old days when if you broke an opponents leg AND kicked him when he was down, you stood a good chance of 'having your name taken' by the referee. Dennis Edwards was a decent player and in his era you had to be brave as well as skilful.
  • Options
    Im sure Jamal will pass on your thoughts to his grandad GHF.
    He was certainly a talented player and his sudden transfer to Portsmouth was unwelcome. He was clearly a character and part of the Charlton landscape for some years. It was just a pity that his failings, on the days they appeared, were often all too obvious, and brought him a fair amount of abuse. But on his day - dominant.

Jamal - plse give the gentleman our due regards. I hope he has mainly good memories of his Valley days. And he can be sure he himself has not been forgotten !!
  • Options
    I remember him as one of our better players at the time. Very skillful and one of the reasons he was on the floor so much was the kicking he got from the so called 'hard' men. Or dirty as we would say know in polite society. If allowed any time and space he could take a team apart. You don't get songs all to your self unless the crowd appreciates you!
  • Options
    As I recall, Saunders came is as a player just as Edwards and Firmani were leaving. Towards the end of Edward's time at the valley, we were at one time running neck and neck with the Don Revie Leeds team in the early 60s. I have vivid memories of Edwards, presumably singled out by Revie as our 'playmaker', being kicked all afternoon by Bremner and Hunter and when they were tired of it, Jack Charlton had a go. Those was the good old days when if you broke an opponents leg AND kicked him when he was down, you stood a good chance of 'having your name taken' by the referee. Dennis Edwards was a decent player and in his era you had to be brave as well as skilful.
    I remember the home game against Leeds, they went mental at the end - think maybe they secured promotion on that day.
    As i recall Charlton played well and deserved something. We had a late pen and chance to get back in it, but it was blasted well wide by.... Daisy Edwards!

• Options
    Leeds game - last home game of the season Apr 64. We did play well but got a good battering from the thugs and lost 0-2. You just knew the hard-won pen would come to nothing - it was that kind of match - and Dennis duly obliged. Mind you, it was amazing he could still stand - a lot of anger went into that penalty !!
  • Options
    Please send Dennis my best wishes. One of my favourite players during my early years going to the Valley. Dennis was a very good header of the ball as I recall. Great days, many happy memories.