Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

199100101102103105»

Comments

• Options
    Reading Cormac McCarthy's Suttree. Heard for years he is brilliant but hard going. It's true. Not given up yet.
    I read that quite recently and also found it pretty hard to follow the plot - especially early on. It does get easier.  I finished it and enjoyed in places but wouldn't really recommend it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Reading Lonesome Dove. Epic western by Larry McMurty. Very very good. 
    One of my favourite books. So brilliant. Can't believe a modern netflix series isn't in the works. 
  • Options
    Thinking Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman

As usual, late to the party, came out in 2011.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    About half way through Crime and Punishment. Not sure why I started but going to finish... Did tell myself I'll read War and Peace after this but I think that's a no go... 
    War and peace is much more readable. 
    I think I'd struggle with it as i've read that each character has multiple names and I think I'd get a bit lost. Also the length of it does seem a bit of a mountain on its own! It's on my kindle anyway, got it for free from the Gutenberg Project so might give it a go at some point.

About half way through Crime and Punishment. Not sure why I started but going to finish... Did tell myself I'll read War and Peace after this but I think that's a no go... 
    The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov are must reads, along with The Double.
    Yeah The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov are also on my list of books to read at some point - might have to look at the The Double next though as it seems to be a lot shorter.

Although might go back to the 99p Kindle detective mystery books to reset my brain a bit after reading Crime and Punishment  :p

My struggles might also be down to the translation! 
    'War and Peace' is an easier read than 'Crime and Punishment' and doesn't deserve its reputation as a difficult read. I would, though, recommend jotting down your own quick guide to who is who, as there are a lot of characters. It ranks in my top 5 novels of all-time.
  • Options
    A Calamity of Souls - David Baldacci.

White lawyer defending a black couple for the murder of rich white folk.
  • Options
    Finished two books over the last couple of weeks. Stop Them Dead by Peter James. The most recent "conventional" Roy Grace novel. Grace finds himself investigating the world of illegal dog smuggling and puppy farming, along with a murder or two committed by the baddies to keep the lucrative business going. It's quite heart wrenching at times if you are a dog lover, and as James is so meticulous in his research, it is an eye opener to find out that this is such big business in the criminal world. I am sure as an animal lover himself it is a very deliberate ploy on Peter James's part to put the situation in the spotlight. As usual it is a gripping tale that keeps you turning the pages.

As is Headhunter by Jo Nesbo. A standalone novel that has more twists than a Chubby Checker double album. The plot is complicated, but written so well it is easy to follow, if that makes sense? The (anti) hero of the book is not particularly likeable - a bit like Stelfox in Kill Your Friends - but also like Stelfox, you find yourself somehow rooting for him. It is a cleverly written book, you make assumptions about things that are not there, by the end you realise it is as much about what Nesbo leaves out as what he writes.          
  • Options
    Jo Nesbo is such a great writer 
  • Options
    Tore Alsterdal 
  • Options
    About 100 pages into Richard Thompson’s Beeswing and really enjoying it. A newbie to his music also which I am thoroughly enjoying. Not sure how I’ve got to 58 and missed him!
  • Options
    Am going through a Stephen Fry faze. Just finished  The Stars Tennis Balls which was okay and now listening to The Hippopotamus. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finally finished Lonesome Dove. Wow. One of the best novels I've ever read.