Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuart Fleetwood

edited May 2008 in Rumours
I know, I know, but my daughters boyfriend was taking an exam at The Valley yesterday and was sure he saw Fleetwood arriving with a suited gent and being met by Reg. Just what I heard.

Comments

• Options
    Hasn't Reg left?!
  • Options
    Reg is still there working with new CEO I think
  • Options
    believe his signing may be imminent
  • Options
    cheered up now large
  • Options
    hope he dont play like mick fleetwood
  • Options
    not sure we need him TBH

Does that mean someone or ones are going
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]not sure we need him TBH

Does that mean someone or ones are going

we only have Varney, Grey and Iwelumo as Dicko and Izzy are out till Xmas and who knows what will happen with Toddy. I'm also perplexed that some fans see Dickson as the answer to our prayers and yet seem to rubbish Fleetwood who has come up through the pro ranks at a club.
  • Options
    I agree with LargeAddick on this. Dickson might be promising but is still rough around the edges IMHO. Fleetwood has served his time and did well at Cardiff I think before his fall from grace. Sign him up I say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I agree with LargeAddick on this. Dickson might be promising but is still rough around the edges IMHO. Fleetwood has served his time and did well at Cardiff I think before his fall from grace. Sign him up I say.

more the fact that he was very nearly crocked in a serious car accident which took him nearly a year to recove from. The fall from grace followed, maybe not unexpectedly.
  • Options
    I think Fleetwood is a mistake for us.

This season just gone we went for the Pardew tactic at West Ham (raiding the lower leagues - principally MK Dons - for good young talent with the hope they might make it, eg. Reo Coker, McAnuff, etc.)

As a result we signed Varney, Dickson, McLeod, D. Sinclair

Although i'm a big fan of Varney and think Dickson MIGHT end up making it, I don't see how it paid off for us this season...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where we had somewhat of a choice last season as we had a little bit of money to spend, I don't think we really have that choice this season and have to pick up players on frees or from the lower leagues.
  • Options
    dickson isn't out till xmas, he'll be back for pre season.
  • Options
    How about we give Fleetwood a chance if he signs?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]How about we give Fleetwood a chance if he signs?

of course i'm going to get behind him if/when he signs!

just by saying i don't necessarily agree with signing him doesn't mean he doesn't get a "chance"
  • Options
    Why bother? I've made my mind up.
  • Options
    Not having a pop at Chris Dickson but none of us have seen enough of him in order to make judgements as to whether he will be the real deal or not. I pray that he is. Cannot see a player just out of his footballing nappies getting a game ahead of Gray, Varney or big Chris to be honest. They have been there and done it at a higher level than he. From McLeods comments about having a point to prove next season I now expect him to stay as well. If Fleetwood does sign then I expect CD to be loaned out again.
  • Options
    sounded well up for it at westbrom..
  • Options
    When I have seen CD I admit I like the look of him but I think that about anyone in a Charlton shirt. I still think he will be well down the pecking order.
  • Options
    in reply to ross I thought Dicko was out long term ala Izzy.
  • Options
    To be fair, its too soon to form an opinion on Dickson. He did ok in pre season, and really hit form for Gillingham. If he fully recovers from his injury, i cant see him scoring less than the players we ve got up front at the moment who cost millions. Putting him out on loan again would prove nothing. We need to know if he can score goals for us. I hope he s not going to be another player we sign and never give a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats a fair point Bexley but I think that Pards feels his all round team play is not up to scratch yet. Forwards need to be able to contribute even when the team is under pressure i.e. away from home. Not sure CD can give us that yet. Bottom line is wher in the list of frontmen would you put Dicko ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]in reply to ross I thought Dicko was out long term ala Izzy.

Only out 2-3 months was the original story, so should be back in full training by now, or very soon. I expect to see him in some of the pre-season games at least. McLeod is out until christmas I heard, possibly longer, so we've got 4 strikers at the moment (luke, gray, big chris, little chris), with one of those having virtually no experience at this level and 2 of the remaining 3 being target men I can see the sense in bringing in another out and out striker
  • Options
    Dickson had more shots in the half hour he was on the pitch than big Chris manages in half a dozen matches. The one from a narrow angle was a screamer.
  • Options
    We scored a fair few last season, so adding to the ranks by one or two up front is unlikely to hurt us, hwoever 'risky' the signing. It's the defence we need to sort out and stop conceding so many goals.
  • Options
    Fair comment SHG .Id put Dickson up against Varney and Gray up against Big Chris to find our best pairing. I m sure many on here will remember Killer contributing nothing to team play, but if he bangs in 20 goals a season he ll be forgiven.
  • Options
    Lets not forget that dicko was a very promising youngster playing in a youth tournament anf getting picked up to play abroad before he fell by the wayside

i am not saying dicko is the answer but a couple of my pikey gills mates reckons he has what it takes at chumpionship atleast
  • Options
    Alll seems done and dusted now, according to the Gloucester Citizen:

Stuart Fleetwood is expected to sign for Coca-Cola Championship club Charlton Athletic when he returns from his holiday on June 9.The Gloucester-born striker netted 36 times in 50 matches for Forest Green Rovers last season.

Although Fleetwood is out of contract after only one season at the New Lawn, Forest Green would be an entitled to a compensation fee because he is under the age of 24.

The fee is likely to amount to less than the £175,000 offered by Crewe Alexandra for the player in January.

Rovers accepted that bid, only for Fleetwood to reject the move in favour of seeing out the remainder of the season with the Blue Square Premier outfit.

Swindon Town have denied any interest in Fleetwood, who is also thought to have spoken to League One champions Swansea City before weighing up his options.

Fleetwood is understood to favour a move to Charlton, who have scouted the 22-year-old several times and are desperate to boost their firepower after missing out on promotion back to the top flight.

The Citizen understands that Forest Green and Charlton are set to come to an amicable agreement on the fee for Fleetwood without the need for an Football Association tribunal hearing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Stuart Fleetwood is expected to sign for Coca-Cola Championship club Charlton Athletic when he returns from his holiday on June 9.

How long a holiday does a non-league footballer get FFS Country is going to the dogs
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    The fee is likely to amount to less than the £175,000 offered by Crewe Alexandra for the player in January.

The Citizen understands that Forest Green and Charlton are set to come to an amicable agreement on the fee for Fleetwood without the need for an Football Association tribunal hearing.

Sounds like a worthwhile punt then, IMHO. Expect another friendly at the New Lawn this year or next.
  • Options
    Only a worthwhile punt if he is good enough for Championship football, and he either produces on the pitch or increases in value.

Dean Sinclair seemed a worthwile punt, as did Racon, but i doubt we'll get money back on those.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Only a worthwhile punt if he is good enough for Championship football, and he either produces on the pitch or increases in value.

Dean Sinclair seemed a worthwile punt, as did Racon, but i doubt we'll get money back on those.

true enough but goalscorers tend to command higher fees in any case. If he's not good enough for the CCC could we sell him for £175k? I'd say possibly yes.

I'd hope to see Racon in the first team squad this year but who knows.