Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Australia's response to binge drinking....

Something interesting has been in the news here for the last couple of days which I though might be interesting to all of you over there in SE London and Kent, especially in view of the anti-crime discussions we have been having in recent days.
We have a huge problem with youth binge drinking in Australia, generally kids get on the grog at 16 or so (like the UK, really) but because there are fewer pubs (the drinking age is 18 and pubs are MUCH stricter on under-age drinkers) most youth drinking goes on in private homes and on the streets/parks etc.
Well, of course, testoterone fuelled teenagers and alcohol do not make a good mix and we have had murders, assaults, out of control parties and a general view emerging that the government must "do something."
Well, the newly elected Labor government took action last month and imposed a stinging 70% tax on what are called here "alco-pops" like Bacardi Breezers and Jim Beam & Cola, taking the price of a six-pack of this stuff from A$12.99 to nearer the A$20.00 mark in the hope that making these drinks more expensive would put them out of the reach of kids pockets.
Sounds good, right? Erm, not really. The kids of Australia have reacted by ditching the now over taxed alco-pops and instead are now grouping together to buy 750ml bottles of whisky/vodka/gin for as low as $22.00 or so (taxes were not increased on bottled spirits) and mixing their own drinks with a bottle of cheap cola or whatever.
As a result they are actually consuming more alcohol than ever because the alco-pops only had maybe 12% alcohol (I am not sure of the exact figure) whereas their generous self-poured shots are well beyond that level so the kids are getting drunker and more violent.
Of course, the government is now powerless to also whack a huge tax on bottled spirits or wine because there would be a huge outcry from the rest of the Aussie populace about paying extra for their grog.
I think this goes back to what I was saying the other day on the "Safe on our streets" thread that for every government imposed solution to a problem there will always be unintended consequences.
Interesting, no?

Comments

• Why has Australia got this problem now? Has it always existed in previous years but people have only just noticed it, or has it got worse?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Why has Australia got this problem now? Has it always existed in previous years but people have only just noticed it, or has it got worse?[/quote]

yep existed in the past there all criminals!!
  • It's got way worse in the last couple of years, hard to say why exactly. Part of the problem could be that the economy has been booming because of the explosion in the resources sector so there has been loads of cash floating around and even part-time working kids can pull in some serious dough and have money to get shit-faced. Parents have also been wealthier than ever so are probably funding a lot of the booze buying themselves, albeit maybe without knowing it!
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Why has Australia got this problem now? Has it always existed in previous years but people have only just noticed it, or has it got worse?

Big problem amongst Aborigine population apparently
  • Yes, but that's not who the tax hike was aimed at. It was aimed squarely at the 16-24 age group because of the street violence that was getting out hand. There is a drink problem in aboriginal communities but they are mainly beer/wine drinkers because its much cheaper and often the only thing you can get way out in the bush.
  • I remember seeing Jenny Agutters bush in that film walkabout, big influence on my childhood.
  • Unbelievable the Goverment's answers the world round to a Problem is Tax it ...words fail me.
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    I may be wide of the mark here but does anyone else think that the US has the best way of dealing with this problem?

I know they binge eat instead but thats another point.

You get asked for ID everywhere in America (i was with a 35 year old and he regularly got asked!) and if you don;t have it then you don't get booze - simple as.

As i say, i may be wide of the mark but thats the impression i get.
  • There is plenty of underage drinking going on in the US and all they do is shift the problem from the bars onto the streets.

As I mentioned on the other thread Germany (and I think France??) allow drinking from the age of 16 in pubs/bars, but only at the discretion of the landlords and even then they can only drink beer and nothing stronger. The idea being that this encourages moderation, keeps drinking/drunks off the streets and teaches kids that if they want to drink in pubs they have to behave themselves or the privilege is rescinded.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Unbelievable the Goverment's answers the world round to a Problem is Tax it ...words fail me.

Well, what's your plan?

I agree that U-21 might be the way to go but this would also cause problems. Over here, on many occasions, its the parents supplying the kids (teenagers 16-17 usually) with the alcohol and, no, I am not talking about chavs. Many of our wealthiest families here in Brissie live in the leafy western suburbs (doctors, lawyers....) but own multimillion dollar holiday homes on the islands in the bay. Come summer holidays they drive these private school kids over to the holiday house with a stack of grog and leave them there for a couple of weeks to run amok so they can get some peace at home.....great idea, actually!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• If i was targeting Aussie drinking it wouldn't be the kids i'd be worrying about. I was diving in Cairns for 6 months and the Aborigine drinking and violence was something else. Groups tearing through town with spears ffs. Couldn't believe that the police used to stand off, very strange.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]I remember seeing Jenny Agutters bush in that film walkabout, big influence on my childhood.

LOL- same generation as me then...!

Can't believe i've just said that.. :-))
  • why not just use an id card system linked in with all alcohol purchases.
  • edited May 2008
    Here in Western Canada, boozing is a big problem amongst the native (Red) Indians - their bodies cannot handle alcohol, so of course they all drink like crazy - only a fool would drive near a reservation at night with the amount of drunks on the road.

Binge drinking is just as much a proble amongst the rest of the population as elsewhere in the world, however it's probably not such a good idea to get clever with the cops when they all are packing 40 calibre Berretta semi-automatics and tasers! They certainly don't hesitate to use the tasers!!

You are never too old to be electrocuted!!
  • do they tease ya with their taser?
  • are the police in the UK using them yet?
  • I think they have been trialled in Nottingham or something - not sure if they have been rolled out.

I think they're cool and effective. Protects the police but buggers up the suspects muscles without injuring them in the same way as a baton etc.
  • I say the Aussies need to sort out the adults first.

lol
  • For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
    - H. L. Mencken
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]I remember seeing Jenny Agutters bush in that film walkabout, big influence on my childhood.

LOL- same generation as me then...!

Can't believe i've just said that.. :-))

I have two things to say about that.

Shower. American Werewolf in London.
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
    - H. L. Mencken

Henry: "I wish I'd said that"

Bigstemarra "you will Henry you will"
  • Couple of observations from my own experience

1) Its more difficult for my 17 year old son to get a beer in a pub now than when I was that age. I was drinking in pubs regularly at 16. That tends to lead to the park bench cider/vodka cheap alcohol outcome which maybe makes it more visible.
    2) I drink far more than my father ever did. I only remember him tippsy at Xmas. He went out once a week and drunk sensibly.
    3) I think we as a generation have more disposable income and alcohol is probably cheaper now in real terms.
    4) Almost every footy (or other) occasion seems to require significant intake of amounts of alcohol. The bigger the occasion the more consumed. Many threads on here refer to such occasions and I partake just the same as the rest.
    5) Something I only learned recently was that our licensing laws were adjusted in WW1 to reduce the occasions when munition workers were pissed on their way into work (in the morning!!). At the same time the alcohol gravity of ale was greatly reduced to also limit the impact.
    6) A belgian brewery worker told me that many years ago their strong beer (8%) was regularly given to children as a substitute for fresh drinking water which was not available (as it was boiled) but also because it provided significant amount of calories for energy.

So to me its a result of a higher standard of living and and many of us ( I include myself) seeking fulfillment through alcohol.

I have no solutions but dont think we as a generation have set a particularly good example and I dont blame the kids.
  • Great post, Peanutman, a lot of nails being hit on the head there.

Incidentally, FYI, the aboriginal drinking problem is big but most aboriginies live well away from major population centres (apart from Cairns in far north QLD) so the general population do not have to deal with it and, in fact, almost never meet a "full blood" aborigine.

Youngsters binge drinking is a big problem though and people are confronted with the fallout most weekends.
  • The legal age to buy booze in pubs in the UK is 14 (if eating and with an older relative).
    The legal age to drink booze at home in the UK is five.
    The problem with the UK is not about the availability of booze, but the hooligan mentality island races like ours seem cursed with.
    We just happen to have a far higher percentage of feckless twunts than most other 'civilised' nations.
    Sad but true :(
  • F&H i think you hit the nail on the head. BTW 'feckless twunts' , great turn of phrase :-)
  • Bang on FloydandHarvey...

We've always had a boozing culture in this Island nation of ours, as early as the eighth century, Saint Boniface was writing to Cuthbert, Archbishop of Canterbury, to report how "in your diocese, the vice of drunkenness is too frequent. This is an evil peculiar to pagans and to our race. Neither the Franks nor the Gauls nor the Lombards nor the Romans nor the Greeks commit it"

We've had taverns and inns for 1000's of years even the governement got in on the act with the 17th century Gin Palaces were widespread and public drunkenness perfectly acceptable!

It's not just us as an Island mentality either, pop over to Japan as see the shitfaced businessmen slumped in doorways of tokyo covered in vomit at 9pm or Iceland where even with the prohibitve cost of buying booze see's everyone tuck into spirits at home before going out for the evening half cut.

Yeah it's not always nice and there are problems that go with it, but it's certainly not a 'new' thing.
  • In older days when water supplies were contaminated/unsafe the practice was to use hops twice. The first time to brew proper strength beer for consumption during the evening etc, the hops would be re-used to to make a much weaker beer for drinking during the day/breakfast - this is where the expression "smallbeer" comes from.
  • The legal age to drink booze at home in the UK is five.

That law was brought in to outlaw the practice of giving teething children gin to shut them up and send them to sleep.
  • Australia's response to binge drinking...

Cheers.