Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Youngsters signing contracts....

Very strong rumours going around that Palace statlet John Bostock has told them he is not going to sign for them, and will be hooking up with one of the big clubs.

As much as i have no time for Palace, its fundamentally wrong that a club can spend years developing a player (seven in this case), only for them to lose out when it matters. The big clubs will kill the game completely if they continue along this trend. The only way the smaller clubs can survive is through nuturing talent.

Seeing Johnjo Shelvey walk into the side and look like the experienced pro was the one shining light at the end of a dismal season. I know there have been quotes and family assurances etc. but until i read that he has agreed a deal, i'm going to feel uneasy about it.

Comments

• Options
    thought he'd already signed for 2 years.

As for Bostock what a piece of work. Been saying all along he doesn't want to leave,loves palace always supported them etc etc - he's been tapped up big time. aS YOU SAY NO LOVE FOR PALACE BUT THAT IS JUST WRONG.
  • Options
    Sadly its all about money no matter what the age.....the days of loyalty are long gone
  • Options
    reverse side of the coin, seven years at one place of work (assuming you mean from 16?) I think he's entitled to move on to bigger pastures, this is the game - we knows the rules.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Sadly its all about money no matter what the age.....the days of loyalty are long gone

So if you were in that position and Man U or Arsenal came knocking what would you do?

You can't expect a young player to say "no thank you Mr Ferguson/Wenger, I think I'll turn down that chance of a lifetime and stay at X in the 1st division"

What there should be though is proper regulations to make sure that clubs are fully compensated rather than the mickey mouse money they get at the moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'd hope a young talent would rather learn that trade actually playing the game than bench warming pulling in some fat wage packet.
  • Options
    The club put a lot of investment in the youth set up and I think at that age there should be moral guidance from the parents. It not as if they would be earning peanuts in the Championship, and the chances are at the top four clubs as you suggested, they would rot away in the reserves, when they could be gaining first team experience down the leagues.
  • Options
    just as well that Charlton made all that fuss about Defoe back in 1999? Then there was no need to pay a club anything. Big clubs could just steal a player with no fee. At least now Palace will get something even if it is less than his true worth or the contribution that he could have made on the pitch

If you were a parent of a real talent and say, Arsenal and Orient wanted to sign him who would you choose. More chance of making it to the first team at the Os but hard to say no to the top coaches, facilities, England call ups etc plus dosh. And if you don't make it at Arsenal you might end up at Orient anyway. If you don't make it at Orient then what.
  • Options
    They tried to knickname him Bostick but it never stuck.
  • Options
    Exactly, Henry. You can't stop a lad reaching for the stars.

But if it should happen, you can put in place an appropiate plan of compensation.
    At least the 'victim' club would get, hopefully, realistic financial redress.
  • Options
    It's easy for us to say but surely he'd be better off staying at Palace for at least another season or 2 and getting some games under his belt. If he's that good he'll be snapped up then anyway. Like the young kid Arsenal got off Gillingham, he appeared for the Gills last xmas at the age of 15. But I'd be surprised if he makes a league appearance for Arsenal at all in the next 3 years.
    Then again as Henry says, better facilities, better training methods, better players around you, better money, what would you do?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]It's easy for us to say but surely he'd be better off staying at Palace for at least another season or 2 and getting some games under his belt. If he's that good he'll be snapped up then anyway. Like the young kid Arsenal got off Gillingham, he appeared for the Gills last xmas at the age of 15. But I'd be surprised if he makes a league appearance for Arsenal at all in the next 3 years.
    Then again as Henry says, better facilities, better training methods, better players around you, better money, what would you do?

Go to Arsenal and then go out on loan to get the experience you would have got had you gone to Orient. Only you are on better money.

Wasn't Scott Sinclair at Bristol Rovers and Chelsea bought him. Was that the wrong decision? He's playing games for Palace alongside Bostock and has trained with Cory Gibbs. What more could he want.

You can't go back to the old retain and transfer system when clubs could keep players regardless. Eastman and Bosman have wiped that away.

It's not good and we know that other clubs will have watched Shelvey and the other (120 scouts at one of the youth cup games this season) kids.
  • Options
    I still think that what Arsenal did to Marseille over Flamini was the worst of all tap ups. Really put a smle on my face when he swanned off to Milan. The icing on the cake was some gooners moaning about loyalty and injustice, sometimes karma is truly wonderful.
  • Options
    We was after Flamini at the time but Arsenal came in for him.
  • Options
    i thought we as good as had flamini and arsenal pinched him late knockings
  • Options
    And Kezam went to Chelsea.

So it goes.
  • Options
    and beattie went to everton.
    so it seems.
    the list is endless
    we woz robbed!
  • Options
    I think he's off to Spurs.

Regarding the legality, it's a tough one, players should always be free to move regardless of age, and personally I think he'd be better off at Palace playing regularly rather than occasionally at Spurs, but at least after the Defoe case the clubs get compensation.

The morality is a different question though, if the big clubs tap up players like this then what incentive is there to develop young players.

In all I'm in favour of tightening the laws somehow.
  • Options
    "Football's not about the money or anything else. It's about kicking the ball around a pitch. Wherever you can do that you should stay. I remember seeing Sasa Curcic coming on and doing his magic and I remember watching Attilio Lombardo - he was one of my favourite players. He was just different. Players come and go but he left a mark on the club. It's always been my local club. Watching them every week I know we don't play the most attractive football in the whole of London but I just love Palace. I always have done and always will. I've always played for the club so if I'm playing here I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

John Bostock, November 2007

"but Spurz just offered me sh!t loads ! "

John Bostock, May 2008
  • Options
    this guy is 16-17? so I'm with AFKA in this case, I think they should be obliged to stay or get compensation until 24-25.
  • Options
    Oh i don't think they should be forced to stay, no one should be forced to be anywhere they don't want to be.

But i think that the Tribunal system should be weighted so that if a big club pinch a promising youngster off a smaller club, they should be forced to pay up the MAXIMUM amount, to act as a deterrent. If clubs believe they may be paying over the odds, they will think twice and wait and see how the player develops, as at that stage its still a gamble.

The end result is the same though. If the player is good enough, he will get the move to the top club, the top club get the player at a stage where he may actually play, and the smaller club gets either a quality player they developed for a few seasons, or a more than adequate compensation deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off to Spurs for £5m apparently.
  • Options
    £5 mill for a teenager.....?

What price Jonjo then ...... ? No, don't think about it.
  • Options
    tough one this, as you could argue that the player owns his own talent. The club only deserve back what they have invested in him, but that would be the same amount for every player regardless of his talent and irrespective of wheather he makes it or not. Academy's will lose money over the long run, but that should be an issue for the FA, who made the rules to set them up in the first place. Clubs take players into their academys in the "hope" that they will eventually be good enough to play for the club in the future. If they are "too" good, then we all know what is more likely to happen.
  • Options
    Perhaps there should be a minimum sum of say £1m, plus there could be a certain fixed sum payable for every year that the player is under 24, say £250K. That would in this case give Palace a minimum of around £3m cash, and then they can negotiate sell-on clauses etc. That would make most clubs think twice about poaching players in the first place and if they do poach players they'll pay through the nose and up front for a player who might not make the grade.
  • Options
    "but Spurz just offered me sh!t loads ! "

John Bostock, May 2008[/quote]

Exactly the lad is young, can possibly set himself up for life in 1 move or he can stay where he is might get injured and not never make it. They have to take these opportunities but i agree the compensation should be way higher.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]thought he'd already signed for 2 years.

Yes ledge your right.
  • Options
    Would people feel differently if it was Charlton who were trying to sign Bostock?

(and there are two hopes of that happening - Bob Hope and No Hope)
  • Options
    In a word

Yes
  • Options
    Found this excellent piece on a Stripey site this morning:

Tottenham will today splash the cash on one of the sport’s most promising prospects, confirmed director of football Damien Comolli this morning. In a move likely to raise eyebrows and infuriate football academies across the continent, the Spurs man told the gathered press that his club had secured the signing of a test tube of frozen sperm.

Despite the efforts of Palace’s flamboyant chairman Simon Jordan to hold back his torrent of young stars, a climax was reached last night as the news began to leak out, prompting Comolli to speak to the press in an effort to draw a line under what had risked becoming a sticky and protracted wrangle.

Comilli stated that the acquisition was a major coup for the North London club, saying ‘We have been monitoring his progress via electron microscope for some time. Scouts tell me that he is very fluid, always looking for the egg and with a keen eye for the cervix.’

‘Negotiations have been drawn out,’ admitted the Hotspurt man. ‘The main sticking point was ownership of the tube, but in the end we agreed a fair price. We could not very well bring him here in a Kleenex!’

Despite being little more than a few million tiny cells adrift in a spoonful of semen, the sprightly spermatozoa is already a seasoned campaigner in the much-lauded England Prenatal Squad. ‘He shows all the signs of being a class act,’ said a leading pundit. ‘He likes to sit back, just in front of the prostate, but is at his best charging down the urethra, and he can play down either fallopian tube.’

Palace fans are likely to be upset by the news. ‘We all had high hopes for him,’ said one. ‘His donor, Mr. B, is a regular contributor to the Crystal Palace sperm bank, and we all hoped that he would inherit his father’s sublime dribbling.’ ‘I am well gutted’ said another irate fan, ‘I never even got to see him on a Palace shirt.’

But Damien Comolli insists that the move is in the youngster’s best interests. ‘We will endeavour to further his progress and maintain his integrity by keeping him in a sterile environment at subzero temperatures at all times.’

Asked if Hotspurt fans could expect to see the new signing get a first team run out in the foreseeable future, Comilli dismissed such hopes as ‘premature’. He also downplayed criticism of Tottenham’s past record in failing to see young prospects develop to maturity.

‘If we fail with this one it will not deter us. Sure, our bedspread is chequered, but if you don’t like the stains, don’t pamper the python. Besides any fool knows that even a mediocre Premiership club can afford to splash out hand over fist to acquire the freshest, saltiest talent.’
  • Options
    quality!
    Although it should be remembered that there is a vas deferens between potential and shooting on target.