Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Employee Database

WSSWSS
edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
I know some people are employers on here and there are plenty of employees as well but what do people think of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7389547.stm

Seems well over the top to me but I can also understand the "if you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to worry about" argument.

Rule 1 - don't steal from your company
Rule 2 - don't piss off your boss

Comments

• Bosses can/have been known to be vindictive and who's to say that the information they put on there about you is legitimate?
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    I agree BFR and by the time you've challenged it (and got taken off) you're more than likely lost the opportunity of a job you were going for.

I've been involved in recruiting a couple of people in the past year and although i don't agree with the database - once i got down to a shortlist of say 3 people i reckon i'd look at something like this if it was available. And yes - it would affect my decision.
  • I can hear solicitors across the land rubbing their hands in glee at all the cases they will be able to bring.

Data protection act should mean that you can access your own record and if false, and I guess you'd have to prove that, you could have it removed or sue.

What I guess it will stop is the serial Employment Tribunial abusers. Good idea but flawed if just suspiscion and not actual convictions or upheld dismissals.
  • The key element here is "accused" rather than "prosecuted" or Convicted"..

I've always been on the "if you have nothing to hide" camp, with things like ID cards, but, imho, this is a step too far
  • Just been on radio that "flight side" airport workers need a CRC to get a job. That seems logical. However BAA know admits "foreign workers" wont be checked as it "takes to long". The Unions and The Pilots Union say this is not on. They wonder why organinised gangs target Heathrow to nick your bags ?

If thats the case at Heathrow wont it be the case with the above data base ?

Dont forget alot of companys etc do a security check on you anyway. also some Companys audit their HR and Facilities Dept on things like security checks and you have to prove all workers have been through the check.
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    GH - there is a difference between a security check (i.e. things that you have been proven to do) and your ex boss going onto this database and putting in "i thought GoonerHater stole 3000 arsenal branded rubbers - i'd never employ him"

Probably not how it works but you get the gist!
  • Yes mate get your point, but i have had people rejected for having CCJs and that could be naff all really.
  • Completely wrong and open to all sorts of abuses in my view.

How would people know if they are on the damn thing?