Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Angel of the South

There are apparently five designs:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3886980.ece

-A Giant white horse
-A wing and a disc carved into the chalk landscape of North Kent
-A tower of stacked cubes through which a single laser beam of light would pass
-A metal nest, comprised of 26 differently shaped polyhedrons
-A craggy, recycled mountain, on top of which would sit a life-size cast interior of a house

I like the white horse, but in nolly fashion, discuss.

Comments

• Or alternatively, what should replace the other ideas?
  • bodica..
  • whatever it is should be in polished steel tho..
  • As long as its nothing like that lump of rust in Gateshead
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]As long as its nothing like that lump of rust in Gateshead[/quote]

Speaking of which I see poor old Gazza has been sectioned again.
  • should be a spitfire, but can't see them going for that
  • Should be a large can of Stella.

That's all you see lunchtime in Gravesend, where its supposed to be.
  • Of that lot, the horse gets my vote - Invicta and all that...
  • A spitfire is a good call - it should be a great statue and not something that would be instantly likes - like the one in the north - the ones up for discussion are frankly rubbish in my view - a big horse??? - wing and disc sounds best but as a sculpture rather then carves into the scenery

I'd suggest either a huge Routemaster or

A great big column with a statue on the top - we have form for that in the south - just who to choose for the top....
  • Spitfire is the way forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• A spitfire is good, but the Invicta horse is the symbol of Kent. We should chose as unlike the rest of you we have not been conquered in over a thousand years!
  • A big sword. This will represent where our new stadium is going to be ;-)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]bodica..[/quote]

Interesting idea, and underneath could be the words "Romani ite domum".
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]bodica..

Problem iis the Iceni were from East Anglia, so that is were her statue should be or at least just of the M25 on the Essex side
  • I live a couple of minutes away, Ebbsfleet is always deserted, no traffic, car parks empty, not seen a euro train running through yet, so I think it should be a large tumbleweed or large plastic carrier bag swirling in the wind.

On a serious note, saw the designs, horse is the best of a bad lot.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]bodica..[/quote]

Interesting idea, and underneath could be the words "Romani ite domum".[/quote]

Problem iis the Iceni were from East Anglia, so that is were her statue should be or at least just of the M25 on the Essex side[/quote]

The Cantiaci tribe based in south east England (from which Kent and Canterbury is derived) didn't put up much of a fight against the Romans. Only Cassivellaunus managed to combine the support of a few chieftains against Caeser and he managed to divide his support and surrendered and anyway he was based north of London.
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]bodica..

Problem iis the Iceni were from East Anglia, so that is were her statue should be or at least just of the M25 on the Essex side

The Cantiaci tribe based in south east England (from which Kent and Canterbury is derived) didn't put up much of a fight against the Romans. Only Cassivellaunus managed to combine the support of a few chieftains against Caeser and he managed to divide his support and surrendered and anyway he was based north of London.

Yeah but Julius Ceaser gave up and went home, they only came and stayed a while later if I am not mistaken
  • Ok I have finally bothered to look at the design. It is gash, it is a white horse in Kent, so I ask myself why does it look like an old nag being led to the knacker's yard?

If it has to be a horse then let it be rampant not repugnant.
  • I will be able to see this thing from my bedroom window and I am not keen on the 50m horse idea. The metal nest appeals to me and I think will look pretty spectacular.

"Romani ite domum".

What's all this then?
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote]

"Romani ite domum".[/quote]

What's all this then?[/quote][/quote]

Now, write it out a hundred times. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.
  • If they go with the horse design all the pikies will think it's in honour of them
  • Should be a big two fingered sign pointing towards France with a huge script saying "REMEMBER AGINCOURT" !!
  • Or a big lorry trailer with doors open saying climb in all welcome and an arrow to london
  • How about a big statue of Chris Powell ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]On a serious note, saw the designs, horse is the best of a bad lot.

Bad being an appropriate word. What a load of sh*te.

Here's the 50 foot horse:

angel_02_385x185_333536a.jpg

And the others:

angel1_385x185_333537a.jpg

angel_07_385x185_333531a.jpg

angel_08_385x185_333530a.jpg

angel_06_385x185_333532a.jpg
  • The horse would have been better if it was on its hind legs like the actual invicta horse:

gb-en!kt.gif
  • The last one reminds me of Thamesmead.
  • or the millennium village minus the garish colours....
  • Too right - WSS & CFGS, the horse (apparently the insignia on the banner flown by Hengist and Horsa when they fought to establish the first English kingdom - which became the thin end of the wedge) shouldn't look like its having a quiet munch on a few dandelions. It should be rampant and dynamic!

Kent is the birthplace of England, and if people don't think that is worth celebrating then we really are a nation with no sense of history or of our own culture. It doesn't have to be nationalistic, just a symbol celebrating how far we have come in the world IMHO.