Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walking -- walk the coast

I have had this mad idea for a year or so to walk the coast of England. The whole lot. Maybe before i naff off from England for good.
I think its somewhere around 3,500 miles and i think it would take 14 weeks ish. I did see somewhere where the coast of Britain in 5,500 . Thought of not doing Wales and Scotland and walking down Hadrians wall. Mind you a long walk for me at present is Kidbrooke to The Valley, and although i still have my youthfull good looks im no yoof.
Is this one step to far?totaly mad? or has anyone out there into walking who has done it ?

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure someone did this naked a year or two ago.
  • Options
    Well if it was a bird im sure we would know and if it was aguy im sure there are some on here who would have had a look !
  • Options
    think you're a bit opimistic with 14 weeks !!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/walks/pages/petergriffiths1.shtml
  • Options
    he did 6,000 miles and it was the whole of the British isles. The Devon and cornwall section is 580. It im right that England is 3,500 will take longer than 14 weeks to walk the lot but im sure i would not walk every inch. Dont fancy the coast of smogland to much or scenic merseyside so might jump a train for those bits.
  • Options
    If I tried this, I wouldn't get further than Dungeness (or to be precise The Pilot Inn)

Had lunch there yesterday with Dowman and his family. Best fish and chips bar none!
  • Options
    If you walked on average 14 1/2 miles a day, every day, it would take you 35 weeks to do it.
  • Options
    We walked from Lulworth Cove to Weymouth last year.. 13 miles on some seriously steep coastal line - Nearly murdered tavern doing it but i jogged it in parts. that took about 5 hours i think.
  • Options
    The South West Coast Path is 630 miles long and their website says it takes an average of 7-8 weeks.

My 79 year old mother has done it in 4x2 week stages and of course with a number or river estuaries and inlets you need to factor in ferry crossings etc.

Obviously it depends on which bits you miss out but I reckon the whole of England is going to be nearer 40 weeks or more.

Great idea. But needs some substantial planning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]We walked from Lulworth Cove to Weymouth last year.. 13 miles on some seriously steep coastal line - Nearly murdered tavern doing it but i jogged it in parts. that took about 5 hours i think.

Thats a cracking piece of coastline.Wouldnt fancy walking it though;-).
  • Options
    thanks good info. wasnt packing me bags just yet as.Dont have any walking boots or gear, have no idea where to stay or how much it all would cost, wouldnt be able to get 3/4 months free to do it, oooo yes aint told the Mrs !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When opened this post I thought I would be greeted by another little fund raising gem for Charlton Lifers, and thought please god surely not ; )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Equaliser[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]We walked from Lulworth Cove to Weymouth last year.. 13 miles on some seriously steep coastal line - Nearly murdered tavern doing it but i jogged it in parts. that took about 5 hours i think.

Thats a cracking piece of coastline.Wouldnt fancy walking it though;-).

it is beautiful - and when I kep looking back at what i just walked, i was staggered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite].Dont have any walking boots or gear, have no idea where to stay or how much it all would cost, wouldnt be able to get 3/4 months free to do it, oooo yes aint told the Mrs !!

Apart from all that you're good to go
  • Options
    Wainrights Coast to Coast from St Bees (Cumbria/Lake District in the West) to Robin Hoods Bay (East of N York Moors) might be a less daunting option.
  • Options
    Yes mate fully prepared, eat your heart out Bear Grillis. Bet he aint survived the 149 from Hackney to Londonbridge !I think its the 149 that has fuelled my intrest in travel and adventure !
  • Options
    you'll get to walk beautiful coastline like this tho. Wouldnt fancy carrying all the equipment mind you.
  • Options
    The problem MrNut is Wainright was a proper walker ! up mountains and stuff. Not a herbert from sarf london who aint done it before. For me its got to be a one off, as said its not going to be "i`ll do this bit next time" because i probably wont be in the UK .
  • Options
    If i had good Photoshop skills i'd of ruined that picture with GH tearing through the fields on a motorbike, thick polluting smog coming out the exhaust, with a pint of beer in his hand....
  • Options
    thinking of it i dont like scoucers or geordies, not to keen on inbred east Anglicans maybe ill walk round the garden !

Think i have at least two years to plan it wont be naffing off from Uk till after the Olympics anyway.

Dont wana tent it either far to dib dib dibby all that.

sort of a super maxi pub crawl a 3,000+ mile one. Now that would be some trip wouldnt it ?
  • Options
    As I live down here in Cornwall, me luv verrrrs, I've walked a fair bit of the SW coast path, a bit of which is only a mile from my front door.

Apart from regular bits that I used for doing some training for the London Marathon years ago, I've always walked it in sections, a bit one year and a bit more in years after - a bit like joining up the dot to dots.

The scenery and views are terrific - even if it is always uphill both ways....(!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I recall correctly Razil cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats last year - he now walks like John Wayne.
  • Options
    Parp to that cowboy!
  • Options
    I've been walking the kent coast for the last few months, for my photography degree show. Absolutely beautiful coast we've got here. Would love to have the time and the energy to do whole of England.
  • Options
    I walked down my stairs and back up again tonight.
  • Options
    The Jurassic Coast is a beautiful walk, my parents retired down to the Isle of Purbeck a few years ago and I do the walk from Swanage/Dancing Ledge to Lulworth when I'm down there. On Dancing Ledge there is a swimming pool blasted into the shelf of rock that juts out into the sea, that was built or whatever you do with swimming pools by an acestor of mine. Further along is Windspit Cove and you can see a cottage that an old great uncle of mine used to live in - he worked on the nearby quarries.

On the way there are some good pubs - the Square and Compasses in Worth Matravers which is worth an hour or two of anyone's time:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/57/5705/Square_and_Compass/Worth_Matravers

Here is Ian Gillan talking about the coast line:

http://www.jurassiccoast.com/downloads/podcasts/Introduction_to_the_Jurassic_Coast.mp3
  • Options
    Saw a book last night the title being something like "3,000 miles round the outside of England" so i was just about to buy it on Amazon when i realised the guy did it in a car ! doh
  • Options
    thought about cycling it instead?

you can easily do 30/40 miles each day and you still get to see the sights
  • Options
    How about walking the Thames, which is about 220 miles off the top of my head.

It's local

There's no Scousers or Geordies although there might be some Gooners

It's flat-ish.

It's varied - countryside, towns, cities, Medway slums etc

Lots of history to see - Runnymeade etc

There will be lots of riverside pubs and Inns

At 15 miles a day you could do it in a fornight or at 10 miles a day a well within a month.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]thought about cycling it instead?

you can easily do 30/40 miles each day and you still get to see the sights

cycling might be harder on those single track paths...
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Henry i think a flaw in your plan is that although i think i should be able to walk on water i cant(yet) unlike yourself of course !!

Cycle ? o dear no thanks cyclists up there with geordies and scousers !!!