Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help please - my season ticket dilemma

Mind was pretty made up not to renew, but even before Sunday I started to wobble - the old emotional pull getting the better of all the rational stuff. So what do you think?

Reasons not to renew
We live c 500 miles away, so only get to about 10-12 home games anyway - this is likely to be the same with or without a S/T
Pardew
Will be more of a positive choice than a duty to go to home games
Likely to go to more away games
Will be tempted to go to hospitality a couple of times
Get driven round the bend by the inane natter of the bloke behind me (could still be the ultimate deciding factor)
Cashflow - will probably still spend the money on Charlton (perhaps even more) but more spread through the year

Reasons to renew
Being a Charlton season ticket holder is part of who I am
Jonjo Shelvey
Good seats near the front of the North Upper (though shame about the bloke behind me)
Guaranteed tickets for any match eg Palace
The Prem offer should the unlikely happen

Help!

Comments

• Options
    Tricky one......lol
  • Options
    Renew...You know you want to.
  • Options
    Depending on where you sit, but if u r in the North Lower,its a bit of a no brainer if u go to 12 mateches per season as it would cost the same as a getting a season ticket if u paid per match, can you not share the cost with someone else who only wants to go to a certain amount of games per season, and if we do get in the play off final or go up you will be garunteed a ticket, i think that if u dont get a ticket the amount of games per season you attend at the VAlley will reduce half of the amount in which you attend now. Verdict: Renew
  • Options
    renew in the cheap seats to minimise your losses.
  • Options
    Not renew.

Missing half your home games doesnt make sense financially and I think there will be a lot more seats to buy on a match by match basis.

And if it means leaving a bit of cash for away games then Oohahh will be delighted.

Unfortunately I dont think you will have to worry about Palace unless we get them in the cup.

In my opinion the Prem offer is worth about as much as the paper its printed on, I dont think any of us will be renewing on the strength of that.
  • Options
    I actually think its a tough choice from the list you state. I think a lot of it depends on two factors:

1. how much you believe you are 'helping the club' by renewing.

As you say, the liklihood is you would still spend a similar outlay. However, by renewing you are giving the club the money up front, allowing them to budget better, and having the credibility of another ST sale, and guaranteed attendance figure.

2. How much you want to retain the seats you currently hold. No doubt getting seats in any area of the ground isn't going to be a problem next season, but some people put a bit of an emotional tie on having the seat they have had for years.

tough call. Personally, i hope you renew. Its a bit of sign of faith.
  • Options
    Weegie or Wontgie?

Who knows?!
  • Options
    Renew and find someone to buy your ticket when you can't make it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Renew and find someone to buy your ticket when you can't make it.

Haven't managed that this season - worked in the Prem but not now! Have leant it out a couple of times, and lucky to get a pint in return...

Thanks everyone else for your comments - will keep mulling it over...

WSS - hope it didn't take you too long to come up with that!!
  • Options
    Eugh, ugly new quote marks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Toss a coin. Heads you buy Tails you dont. You will feel then which decision is correct. (Hope its Heads).
  • Options
    You said the ST is part of who you are.

Given that, provided that finances are not or have not become a big issue, the answer is obvious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]renew in the cheap seats to minimise your losses.
    Agree. If it's part of who you are then you'll regret not doing so and at £20 a pop, 14 games (only a couple more than you might get to) and you've paid for it.

You know you want to...
  • Options
    Weggie honey, as I said before, I tried to give it up.

Drove everyone mad!

Get a ticket in the cheap seats...............makes much more sense & everyone around you will be happier for it, trust me ;-)

If it's a part of who you are, that is the only answer.

Good luck mate x
  • Options
    I would say, don't renew.

If you are still going to attend a few matches it'll allow you to be more selective, plus you can move around the ground a bit, and view the ground from different perspectives.

When I was a ST holder - in the East Stand, I used to buy tickets for the cup games and sit in the West/North Stands for that reason.
  • Options
    Renew.

The club gets the money upfront when it can budget and spend early in the season

You get the guarantee of a seat and less hassle than buying on the day

Despite what SouthendAddicks says we do have a chance of going up so it is potentially worth another £3-400

But mainly that you are even thinking about it when living "abroad" means that you know you want to and you are trying to balance you head with your heart. For the financial difference, which as you say may not be much, go with your heart and keep the faith
  • Options
    renew, just make sure you book your sleazyjet and rail tickets way in advance!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    renew- you just know that if you dont it will be the year we have a blinder esp at home like the championship year 99/00
  • Options
    don't renew.... go to every single away game and i'll buy you a season ticket if we go up;-)
  • Options
    i made the mistake of not renewing at the start of last season. i hated it cos its part of who i am also and although i can't explain it, it just didn't feel right. by christmas i gave in and bought a half season ticket.

its harder than you think to give it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: billy cotton[/cite]i made the mistake of not renewing at the start of last season. i hated it cos its part of who i am also and although i can't explain it, it just didn't feel right. by christmas i gave in and bought a half season ticket.

its harder than you think to give it up.

I suspect that there will be a few people who will get this feeling this year, not from within a forum like this but generally.....

To be honest- i'm not yet decided...... Bloody plastic i know!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]don't renew.... go to every single away game and i'll buy you a season ticket if we go up;-)

Now there's an offer to make me think!!

Thanks everyone - the emotional side is pulling strongly...
  • Options
    Go on, go on, Go on, go on, Go on, go on, Go on, go on,
  • Options
    Renew, change your name to "Alan Curbishley" and oohaah will drive you to every match ;-)
  • Options
    Weegie - have you tossed that coin yet?
  • Options
    Not yet, Solid - I've got to get Mr W to the same wavering state as me yet. But I know he'll do what I say on this one ;-)
  • Options
    I agree with Solidgone.

Toss a coin.
  • Options
    anyone know why the online renewal thing isnt working???
  • Options
    sold out ?
  • Options
    ha ha sold out that would be funny