Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards promises fresh approach

From the Kentonline:

Alan Pardew will overhaul his managerial style and adopt a tougher stance for the 2008-09 campaign.

Following the club’s unacceptable 11th place finish, Charlton’s boss offered a candid self-appraisal as he made early preparations for the club’s second season in the Championship - and their last without the crucial £8 million parachute payment.

He said: “I will change my approach and be tougher with the squad. It’s a young squad, which I felt needed protecting. But I won’t be doing that next season.

“The regime will be tougher because I won’t accept the kind of season we’ve just had. That’s a message all the players need to take on board very quickly. I have this deep-seated determination that what’s happened this season will not happen again. What’s happened fuels my desire for next season. In fact I can’t wait for it to start. Unfortunately I’ve got to wait seven weeks.

“I’ve worked hard this season but it hasn’t worked out. Is that okay ? No that’s not okay for me and I will be better next season.

“I’ve got to make sure I’m 100 per cent on my studying of the opposition, make sure we’re tighter at the back and don’t concede as many goals.

“I also want a team that plays my way because there have been times this season when that hasn’t happened.”

On the subject of player recruitment, he added: “There is no market we won’t scrutinse because there are parts of this team that I need to adjust. I feel the experience of this year will put me in good stead to know what I need.”

Comments

• Options
    Good spin. ;-)
  • Options
    sounds good to me

got to be honest & say I'm surprised a few on here didn't make more of him leaving the pitch early & not milking any applause

i personally felt it was right for him to do that, he knows he didn't get it quite right & put his head down & is now going to get on with it

good luck Pard's, more of the same as Sunday & you'll start hearing your chant again
  • Options
    To me that is very reassuring, he acknowledges there were mistakes this season and plans to tackle them so there are less next season. And he is hungry to acheive success for us nex season.
  • Options
    I'm willing to give him another chance although he's got a lot of convincing to do.
  • Options
    i think he is really hurting and his ego has taken a knock, but i really think he will get it right next year.
  • Options
    There is truth in there though. He has to be disapointed, must be. The season dont show him in a good light does it , after all its his team.

I thought he would have known more about this division than he did, and im surprised he was surprised.

Im not sure he deserves another chance .Its not CAFC to chop and chane though and if we did it wouldnt be nailed on success
  • Options
    He actually aint a bad manager and give him time he will get you up next season i wish he was still at west ham and curbs was back at charlton
  • Options
    Uncle we are being friendly here mate and have forgiven you for supporting the mess from the wrong side of the river.

The truth is neither Curbs or Pards are as good as their press says they are.
  • Options
    If only unc ... if only!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]He actually aint a bad manager and give him time he will get you up next season i wish he was still at west ham and curbs was back at charlton

Unc. Shouldn't that be get US up next season, you have to forget your previous allegiances now.

You've also opened a can of worms saying Curbs should be back here. lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well let's shut the can again guys.
    We all know who is pro or anti either of them. What we think wont change anything so let's move on.

Gawd I sound like Smiffy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Well let's shut the can again guys.

Look out WSS, there's a new apprentice on the scene !
  • Options
    Sorry been Supporting them since a boy surely you know you cant just change!!! Will be getting my season ticket for the valley next year though. Although i did find it haard on sunday not knowing any of your songs. Must admit when the game went a bit quiet i nearly shouted out "come on you irons" Probably wouldn't have gone own to well lol
  • Options
    unless you were directing it to Ambrose (who wasnt playing)
  • Options
    "When the game went quiet!"????
    At The Valley?????

NEVER!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]"When the game went quiet!"????
    At The Valley?????

NEVER!

Lol I think once just for a very short space of time
  • Options
    Uncle, as for the songs well we're a nicey nicey club, and our songs reflect that.

A full song list can be found in the following link :-)

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=11252&page=1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Uncle, as for the songs well we're a nicey nicey club, and our songs reflect that.

A full song list can be found in the following link :-)

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=11252&page=1
    Thanks i'll check that out ..... Are you saying West Ham isn't a nicey nicey club lol
  • Options
    “I’ve got to make sure I’m 100 per cent on my studying of the opposition, make sure we’re tighter at the back and don’t concede as many goals.

“I also want a team that plays my way because there have been times this season when that hasn’t happened.”

On the subject of player recruitment, he added: “There is no market we won’t scrutinse because there are parts of this team that I need to adjust.

This is worrying. He has tinkered with every part of the side and no department, defence midfield or attack showed any consistency over 50 odd games. He could go out and buy a whole new side.

What is the "my way" he talks abaout because if it is the long ball game I don't want it. He is the one that ensured Iwelumo played some part in every single game, and if you pick a front man with no mobility the long ball is all you can play to him
  • Options
    I agree with AFKA's other thread that there were some positive signs from his programme notes. For once I didn't get angry reading what he had to say for himself. He has admitted mistakes which is a good sign. Now I want to see more signs that he really can get things moving forward from here.

What does he mean by 'getting tougher'? No mid-season trips to Spain to prep for away games in the North, I hope, and less Premiership pampering?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew has held his hands up ..... and said not only has the team not performed, but that he has made wrong decisions and he's disapointed with himself. Well, people can't be more candid than that.

Pre-season he said Charlton would play an attacking game - and they did start the season that way.
    The defence was obviously unhinged by losing Diawara because we were very weak at centre back for a while, and Varney was crocked pre-season, and than Marcus left suddenly after starting well. Iwelumo was scoring, and Toddy & Reid were doing the business though.

After, we lost Toddy & Reid, Ambrose inconsistant, and Thomas not really performing. And players making own individual mistakes.

Now we'd lost midfield flair & creativity, the defence started lumping it vaguely in the direction of a now ineffective Iwelumo. Despite the purchase of Gray, we weren't scoring goals, it all got a bit desperate - and we went down the pan.

That wasn't the way Pardew had his team playing at the beginning of the season.
    And it's not the way West Ham played when he was manager.

We can critisize a manager all we want, but what is the point when he has already pointed the finger at himself?
  • Options
    Pardew has admitted to mistakes and he cannot be fairer than that. I am a supporter of Pardew but I just fear that he might not have identified the root problems. He seems to be saying that if the players could have dealt with the mental pressure and performed to their ability everything would have been fine. I am a bit worried that (a) he is so positive this was the core problem and (b) his solution is to make more changes.
    I do not believe players feel stress unless they are not playing their natural game or do not know what their role is. Playing Colchester and Scunthorpe mid season does not put professional players under pressure.
    If the team has underperformed was it because too much emphasis was on getting the team playing "his way" rather than the way best suited to the teams ability e.g Stoke kick and rush WBA pass and score. Look what Warnock has done with a team which was humiliated by Charlton at the Valley and what he has brought out in Scott Sinclair who looked like a pantomime horse in a Charlton shirt a few weeks ago. I would love to hear Sinclair's thoughts for some insight into what Pardews problems really were.
    I hope Pardew has thoughts he needs to keep to himself and has deeper explanations for his players under-performance. I will judge Pardew not on the team's performance this year, nor on what players he brings in next season, but what changes he makes in the coaching set up and what progress is seen next season from both the established squad and the promising youngsters without the excuse of "pressure".
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Sorry been Supporting them since a boy surely you know you cant just change!!! Will be getting my season ticket for the valley next year though. Although i did find it haard on sunday not knowing any of your songs. Must admit when the game went a bit quiet i nearly shouted out "come on you irons" Probably wouldn't have gone own to well lol

You are not alone Unc, some people have been coming to the Valley for decades and they still obviously still don't know the words, cause they never sing.

As much as I love Curbs, I have met him three times, great bloke, done great things for the club but only just an above average manager and I believe in the old adage never go back, only Chris Powell has been the exception to the rule.

BTW Doesn't Jonjo get a free allocation of tickets (Maybe not upto the 100)
    BTW2 Does Jonjo need an agentr, I have absolutely no qualifications but nor do any of the professional blood suckers out there and I need some money :-), in truth does he have an agent or are the family looking after him.
  • Options
    The programme notes were obviously written before the Coventry game yet he still made the same mistake of bringing Iwelumo on for the aeriel things.
  • Options
    Iwelumo had played in every game before Sunday, so irrespective of the wisdom of that it would've been mean on big Chris to leave him on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]From the Kentonline:

“I also want a team that plays my way because there have been times this season when that hasn’t happened.

does he mean every time he played iwelumo
  • Options
    I am far from convinced by Pardew - however I don't get to see any of the matches, so defer to those who have faith in him, as they are seeing things I don't. I will back him to get things right during the summer, however if it all starts going pear shaped & we are struggling by Xmas he should go. This is his last chance.
  • Options
    i think jonjo's agent is paul goddard ex hammer
  • Options
    I thought at the time of the Les Reed/Dowie fiasco that whoever we appointed as manager would need three years to rebuild. That give Pards next season to turn things around.

I think that we are going to lose about a third of our squad mostly through natural wastage but what's really needed is the change of attitude that Pards talks about. He's been big enough to stand up and admit he got it wrong last season but for me, is he doesn't improve next season (play off place at least) then he should move on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Sorry been Supporting them since a boy surely you know you cant just change!!! Will be getting my season ticket for the valley next year though. Although i did find it haard on sunday not knowing any of your songs. Must admit when the game went a bit quiet i nearly shouted out "come on you irons" Probably wouldn't have gone own to well lol

You are not alone Unc, some people have been coming to the Valley for decades and they still obviously still don't know the words, cause they never sing.

As much as I love Curbs, I have met him three times, great bloke, done great things for the club but only just an above average manager and I believe in the old adage never go back, only Chris Powell has been the exception to the rule.

BTW Doesn't Jonjo get a free allocation of tickets (Maybe not upto the 100)
    BTW2 Does Jonjo need an agentr, I have absolutely no qualifications but nor do any of the professional blood suckers out there and I need some money :-), in truth does he have an agent or are the family looking after him.

Yeah he does have one but family are always there to look after him if he needs it. Not sure about the free tickets but would rather pay i can sit where i want then