Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards programme notes....

Extensive notes on two pages.

Though i now can't help but approach anything he says or writes with a cynical eye, i thought they were a decent, honest set of notes. Certainly didn't downplay the disappointment. Was encouraged if i'm honest.

Anyone else read them with similar thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    yeah thats the way I read it.
  • Options
    What I did notice yesterday was that he clapped us but did not hang around too long, he looked pretty choked. Though others may interpret it differently, I thought that was fair enough. It has not been a good season for him either, and his reputation has taken a knock. The measure of him now is how he responds.
    Next season is pretty critical for him and the club. He needs a rethink because he knows, like we all do, that we should have been able to challenge for a play off place this season, if not more.
    It is going to be even harder next season, and financially even tougher for the club.
    Think we all had pretensions that we were just a premiership club in waiting this season,but that belief has been steadily draining away in the last few months.
    After yesterday, I'm up for next season again, whatever happens, it was a timely reminder for me just why I love this club and support them.
  • Options
    Am not his biggest fan, but after reading what he had to say I was more inclined to think that he could yet lead us back to the Promised Land - and that was even before the encouraging signs of the match itself.

That said, words are easy, and he more than most seems to be able to put a gloss on the reality, so I won't be getting my hopes up too much just yet.
  • Options
    Was interesting that he stated that the board had criticised him. You don't normally read that kind of comment in the public arena.

I'm not convinced by Pardew overall. He stated early doors that he wanted us to become stronger and a nastier Charlton and yet 46 games we're still waiting for him to sign those kind of players for us to become that. He still says that we weren't mentally tough enough, for me we were never physically tough enough either. The midfield was always lacking, even when Reidy was fit enough to play.

For next season Shelvey looks very exciting but he's only 16!!! We now need players all the way down the spine of the team (and I include goalie) and we ain't got the lolly now. . . .

If you look at the quality of the side in the play-offs it's the best chance we will ever have of going up and probably the last for a while :o(
  • Options
    Anyone feel like typing out Pard's notes for us unfortunates?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

We now need players all the way down the spine of the team and we ain't got Nolly now. . . .

He said he'll be back in August so don't fret.

Sorry Falc, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]What I did notice yesterday was that he clapped us but did not hang around too long, he looked pretty choked. Though others may interpret it differently, I thought that was fair enough. It has not been a good season for him either, and his reputation has taken a knock. The measure of him now is how he responds.
    Next season is pretty critical for him and the club. He needs a rethink because he knows, like we all do, that we should have been able to challenge for a play off place this season, if not more.
    It is going to be even harder next season, and financially even tougher for the club.
    Think we all had pretensions that we were just a premiership club in waiting this season,but that belief has been steadily draining away in the last few months.
    After yesterday, I'm up for next season again, whatever happens, it was a timely reminder for me just why I love this club and support them.

Last year at a hotel in Kent with Murray Pards addresseed the fans and was asked why he did not hang around on the pitch at bthe end of matches and his response was that he felt that this was the players time and did not feel it was right that he should interfere with them receiving accolades. That was during the time when we all loved him and it probably applies as much today.
  • Options
    Yes that's what I thought he seemed to be doing, and I think that is fair enough. He must have felt the support for him waning through the season, when was the last time we shouted "Pardew give us a wave" ?
  • Options
    Fair play to Pards. Even if it's only for his own career, he knows he's got a lot of work to do over the summer. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes - onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    I got the feeling early on in the season that Pards was not flavour of the month with a few on the boad,

I was sitting in the Birectors box seats with a dad from NLJR's football team and we had all just witnessed a very inept performance first half i watched Mr chairman and a very passionate and expressionable (not sure if it is a word but this guys face told a hundred stories with no words if you get my drift) gentleman the worded their opinions to Parky b4 he left their company.

you could see the embarresment on Muzza's face and the other guy kept pointing at Pards and shaking his head.

i honestly thought that he could be on his way if it didnt improve as there was no real support for him being shown in the ground on the pitch and by 2 very important people at our club.

I am glad they have criticised but i am more glad they understand times is needed the decline of our season lays with pards on his tactics and signings and if i was a board member i would have let that point be very well known.

I am of the opinion he will get it right and we will have a cracker next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Pards:

it's been a tough and, on the whole, disappointing season. Our aims and objectives got away from us during the last 15 games.

I can't remember having so much misfortune in a campaign before. We suffered a series of blows, not least four cruciate injuries - to Svetoslav Todorov, Chris Dickson, Dean Sinclair and Izale McLeod - and with three of those strikers, it was a heavy burden.

Analysing the season, it's easy to look for excuses, but I preper to seek solutions. I brought a lot of players in last summer, and of the 39 players used, 13 have never played Championship football before. Some adjusted well and others not so well, but all will be better for the experience next season.

There is no doubt we learned a lesson after selling a key player mid-season. Andy Reid's departure affected us more than I think anyone imagined it would. Subsequently, we couldn't find a winning system or compensate through the loan market. It was a financial decision of course, and the effects of the heavy investment made after Alan Curbishley left are still being felt.

We have some tough negotiating to do this summer, both with those players who will be out of contract and with new players coming in.

There has been a fair amount of criticsm of my management this season, from the board, the terraces and the media. I accept that criticsm, but those who know me know that it will just make me stronger and more determined.

Your support has been fantastic here at The Valley, and on behealf of the players, I would like to thank you. Some negativity - prompted by extremely high expectations - did filter through to affect us at times, but i don't think those expectations will be quite so high next year, and that will help us.

Our away support has hardly wavered, and only at Queens Park Rangers was the frustration evident, understandably so as our promotion challeng ended. Quite frankly, I was disappointed with our performance too. Big players need to stand up and be counted in big games, so today's match is important because I want to see a better response than i saw at Barnsley.

I welcome Coventry City, who unfortunately have something riding on today's result, to The Valley, and I expect their focus to make them dangerous opponents.

City are one of a few ex-Premiership clubs near the bottom of this division, and the danger signs are clear. if you desert us today and next season, we will be in a similar postion to those clubs fighting for their lives today.

If you think the entertainment we have served up this season has not been good enough to renew your season ticket, I would not dispute that. However what I would urge fans not to do is turn your back on the team when your support is needed most. It's easy to support a Premier League team, and watch all those great players turn up at The Valley.

I implore you to renew your season ticket as soon as possible to give the club and I the best possible chance to put things right next season.
  • Options
    you're missing page 2 !!
  • Options
    Part 2

in a bit
  • Options
    Part 2

There will be a tougher regime here next season, and it will start as soon as this game finishes. We will be coming in for four days at the beginning of June so that when we return for pre-season training we can hit the ground running. It will be a tough summer for the board and myself. In the last parachute payment season, we need to get the balance right of protecting the club without losing ambition, because a successful club cannot be run by fear of failure.

One positive has been the wealth of young players coming through, and I was pleased that Jonjo Shelvey became the club's youngest debutant. Its a heavy burden, but its one he has the talent to carry.

Jonjo will play today if he is fit. he was brilliant at Barnsley last week, although I expect him to be a little bit more nervous today as this week's events perhaps catch up with him a bit. But those who travelled to Barnsley were lucky to witness the start of what we all hope will be a great career.

Remember, however, that he is still just a schoolboy, and he cannot carry our entire season next year. I am confident he will be part of it, though. in some ways, promotion to the Premier League this year might have been damaging because we weren't ready. Even if Andy Reid had stayed and Svetoslav Todorov had been fit, we may still have needed too many additions to be competitive in the top flight.

We need a stronger base, and all the players under the age of 24 in the squad - such as Jonjo, Yassin Moutaouakil, Kelly Youga, Luke Varney, Madjid Bougherra and even Chris Solly and Rashid Yussuff - will develop futher.

I have suppressed my anger with this squad because I still feel there is some growing to do within it, and we must be astute this summer to inject more steel, both physically and mentally, into the squad.

Our record against the teams in the top half of the table is as good as West Bromwich Albion's, but that's far from true against the teams near the bottom.

I know my staff's preparation for every game was no different, so we need to put that right next year, from our tactics in each game to the assembly of the team.

I would like to thank everybody for their kind words and support this season, my staff, my players (who will be better next year), Richard Murray and the board.

But my most important thanks must go to Peter Varney for all his efforts on behalf of the club. I hope one day he will return to the club that he has supported since he was young and attractive-ish, but he needs a break. You don't ge tthat unattractive unless you have experienced real stress. And I should know!

Steve Waggott takes over, and I know his work in the community has been phenomenal. If he brings those abilities to the chief executive's role, I know he will help us continue to grow as a club.
  • Options
    cheers Suzi
  • Options
    Suzi, can you copy out the rest of the programme, please?

Thanks!

;o)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sadly I don't have time with 2 bosses at the moment!!! ;-)
  • Options
    Clearly the new one isn't working you as hard as the old one yet...

Well done for your name check in the prog, btw!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alan Pardew[/cite]in some ways, promotion to the Premier League this year might have been damaging because we weren't ready. Even if Andy Reid had stayed and Svetoslav Todorov had been fit, we may still have needed too many additions to be competitive in the top flight.
    which, Alan, is what many on this forum said earlier in the season - promotion next year would be better than promotion this year. Of course there is no way of knowing we will acheive that next year, which is why we would have loved to be promoted this year.

But if you can achieve promotion for us next year then it will have all turned out swimmingly :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Suz. Appreciate you typing that out...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That sounds fair and honest comment to me.
  • Options
    Thanks Suzi, I was very keen to read those notes so much appreciated.
  • Options
    Thank you Suzi.
  • Options
    Looks like Suze is doing the website as well now!

They love nicking ideas from us!

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32393
  • Options
    One year on!

Was going to comment on the thread about Parky and his programme notes yesterday, and then remembered that this same time last year I had also been impressed by what Pardew had said ahead of the final game - which we also played well in and won. With that in mind, I'm viewing Parky's words with a bit less enthusiasm...

Reading it again, if only football was based on the ability to talk a good game then we'd have had a great season this year.
  • Options
    Although concerned about starting a firestorm, did anyone notice this bit?

"I welcome Coventry City, who unfortunately have something riding on today's result, to The Valley, and I expect their focus to make them dangerous opponents.

City are one of a few ex-Premiership clubs near the bottom of this division, and the danger signs are clear. if you desert us today and next season, we will be in a similar postion to those clubs fighting for their lives today."
  • Options
    Like Parkinson said it's key that the right players are brought in. They need fans to renew season tickets to get money in, but unfortunately Pardew got it wrong in the summer which was nothing to do with the fans.

Notice how he said 'I welcome Coventry City, who unfortunately have something riding on today's result', compared to Parkinson who said Norwich needing the win gives the game an edge, a good thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]Although concerned about starting a firestorm, did anyone notice this bit?

"I welcome Coventry City, who unfortunately have something riding on today's result, to The Valley, and I expect their focus to make them dangerous opponents.

City are one of a few ex-Premiership clubs near the bottom of this division, and the danger signs are clear. if you desert us today and next season, we will be in a similar postion to those clubs fighting for their lives today."

I do recall him saying something just after the start of this season that implied we were in for a relegation fight - I pointed it out on here and got an earful from WSS. Definitely agent Pardew...shame it took us so long to suss the b*st*rd out.
  • Options
    It didn't take you long, Weegie.

You were probably the first.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It didn't take you long, Weegie.

You were probably the first.

Still took me a year, Oggy, before I said it out loud...and even then, I still hoped he'd prove me wrong...