Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-Season Friendlies (some dates confirmed)

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Not sure if this has been previously covered by feel free to Sink if it has...

Addicks hope top club will play groundsman testimonial
Colin Powell
by Tony Hudd

Charlton will play a testimonial for their popular groundsman Colin Powell as part of their pre-season preparation.

Powell, 59, a former Addicks winger who is credited for creating many of leading scorer Derek Hales' goals, also played for Gillingham.

Manager Alan Pardew confirmed: "We are trying to organise a testimonial match for Paddy Powell and all being well we will be able to attract a top club for that."

The Addicks will also play their traditional pre-season friendly at neighbours Welling and plus Ebbsfleet United whose ground they use for reserve team games.

They round off their pre-season schedule of friendlies at home to French club Nancy. Pardew has not ruled out an overseas trip as part of that preparation.

Comments

• Options
    "They round off their pre-season schedule of friendlies at home to French club Nancy"

I bet Ambrose can't wait!
  • Options
    nancy nancy they are auditioning for that.
  • Options
    When are we going to play Lazio as part of the Di Canio agreement?!
  • Options
    Valencia at home?
  • Options
    Inter Milan - we still have a partnership with them don't we?
  • Options
    I bet Ambrose is looking forward to playing with Nancy
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS_Nancy
  • Options
    Its got to be West Ham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS_Nancy

I don't recognise a single player in that list. So, this fixture is bound to bring in the crowds.
  • Options
    Shame the match against the Nancy isn't an away trip, comparatively speaking that's close to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both teams can run out to Nancy Boy by Placebo. :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]

I don't recognise a single player in that list. So, this fixture is bound to bring in the crowds.

Didn't Yousseff Hadji play for Coventry? I seem to remember him having a pretty good World Cup a few years back and got his move to the Prem that wasn't too successful?
  • Options

got a Faye though. Every team must have one.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    AS Nancy are the French club that currently have a few of Charlton's Ivory Coast youngsters on their books. Maybe one or two will make an appearance.

EDIT - The "currently have" comment should really be "will have". I don't think they've been placed there yet.
  • Options
    Quote from the OS says that Pardew is keen to play MK Dons in a friendly....thats going to be a popular choice!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Quote from the OS says that Pardew is keen to play MK Dons in a friendly....thats going to be a popular choice!

Fan pressure stopped this a few years ago, hopefully this doesn't happen this time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Quote from the OS says that Pardew is keen to play MK Dons in a friendly....thats going to be a popular choice!
    Might get to see our next manager though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

Fan pressure stopped this a few years ago, hopefully this doesn't happen this time

Whats the problem with it? They could well be in the same division as us in a years time. Think its time to move on. They could have ended up like Rotherham or possibly Bournemouth but chose to do something about it.
  • Options
    Not for me, I can't accept the idea of franchise football.

And, yes, I know it's just a 'product' these days like so many other things, but football goes deeper than that.

Each to their own, but I can't change my opinion on this one, even over time.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Not for me, I can't accept the idea of franchise football.

And, yes, I know it's just a 'product' these days like so many other things, but football goes deeper than that.

Each to their own, but I can't change my opinion on this one, even over time.[/quote]

Can understand you boycotting a friendly, but if we drew them in the cup would you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hold your thoughts guys - i'll run a seperate thread and a poll this afternoon on the MK Dons issue.
  • Options
    Yes, I'd like to think I would stick to my beliefs, so yes I would.

But a semi-final or final (as unlikely as it is), would cause a bit of a problem ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Yes, I'd like to think I would stick to my beliefs, so yes I would.

But a semi-final or final (as unlikely as it is), would cause a bit of a problem ;-)

Thats a bit like the Jewish guy in my office who is full on until the bacon sandwiches come round
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Yes, I'd like to think I would stick to my beliefs, so yes I would.

Thats a bit like the Jewish guy in my office who is full on until the bacon sandwiches come round

LOL
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Dartford's new ground.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]

Didn't Yousseff Hadji play for Coventry? I seem to remember him having a pretty good World Cup a few years back and got his move to the Prem that wasn't too successful?

no that was his brother Mustafa(spelling)
  • Options
    edited June 2019