Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SSN reporting that

the equaliser for WBA was worth at least 60 million and thats if WBA come straight back down and finish in last place so a few questions for you

1) if you were chairman of a chumpionship club how much do you think you would gamble to get to the promised land of money?

2) What do you feel our club should risk

a) 10 million in debt
b) 15 million in debt
c) 20million in debt
d) use a few million from sales use the youth and hope it all works out

I honestly dont know my answer yet so i am gonna have a think

Comments

• Options
    Sky Sports pluck ridiculous figures out the air at times like this, today they'll probably say it's worth £80m !!
  • Options
    good luck to the baggies they play nice attractive football...
    i don't think the chairman should risk anything that would put the club near financial duress but wouldn't have a clue what they may be
  • Options
    probably is with tv revenue gate reciepts merchandise sales and matchday sales of programmes etc coupled with the parachute payments if they get relegated god lick to them they have played some god fotball the highest scorers I'm all the leagues, in the words of Jim Bowen from Bullseye to AP and the squad "look what u could have won"
  • Options
    I'd rather we were financially sound, invested money in a good youth set-up and were capable of producing one or two players a year from that. Success should be about the consequence of doing things correctly. Despite everything that has gone wrong this year I think the basis is there for a successful team over the next few years.

We have in Randolph and Elliot two good young keepers coming through, Mou2, Racon and Semedo have been brought to the club cheaply. Youga has played a few first team games, while Shelvey, Arter, Wagstaff have made their debuts after coming through the youth teams. Add in players like Dickson and we have the basis of a side to challenge again over the next few seasons at prem level.

I don't want Charlton to be a yo-yo club like West Brom or Watford, neither if I was a Derby fan (11 points all season) would I be happy. I'm also wondering what the point is of a team that is so highly leveraged in debt that one poor season could see them go in bankruptcy - looking at the relegation places in the CCC one of several clubs who were playing Prem football in the recent past will end up in League One next year. In addition there is the recent example of Leeds, which should be enough of a warning to anyone who wants to "chase the dream". Whether we like it or not we have financial stability and that means security and that is the surest foundation for success. The downside is that instead of buying proven players at the level we want to play at - and going into debt to afford them and their wages, we have to take chances on players who are untried and are maybe stepping up a level (or two). That means that there is an inevitably higher wastage rate, but occasionally as with Darren Bent, you find the odd gem that pays for the mistakes.
  • Options
    BFR = great post !
  • Options
    good debate so far no one willing to risk too much im still undecided
  • Options
    I read in todays paper that Mowbray brought in 17m through player sales and only spent 10m, so whatever money they make in the prem, it shows you don't have to go into debt to get there. They've got a good team spirit, kept a settled side, and played good football. And remember this is in their second year after being relegated, after they fell away badly last year and missed out on promotion. It can be done!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]And remember this is in their second year after being relegated, after they fell away badly last year and missed out on promotion. It can be done!
    Great shout Chris!
  • Options
    who do you think we should sell for 6 million like they did with kamara or maybe 4 million like they did with koumas.The sad thing now is we haven't got anyone to raise that sort of money.Mowbray was able in the summer to bring in players like Brunt 3 million.Oops i forgot they've 8 million to come for Curtis Davis,i think thats the trouble peeps looking at out squad i cant see anyone spending serious money on any of our players.
  • Options
    Exactly my point NSS we have the choices from above imo

debt or yoof to get too the prem but do you have the paitence to wait i know i do and therefore use yoof and wait for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seeing what has happened this year there is no way we will spend that big again in the summer so yoof it has to be together with very astute and well thought over other signings.like we did when we picked up kins
  • Options
    Oh well then our 2 year plan could now be a 7 yr plan ho hum
  • Options
    The thing is, it may be worth £60m to be in the premiership but where do you think 80-90%+ of that money goes? Straight in the back pockets of the players and their agents. all it does is give you the financial clout to compete with the bottom five or six clubs in the premier league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]The thing is, it may be worth £60m to be in the premiership but where do you think 80-90%+ of that money goes? Straight in the back pockets of the players and their agents. all it does is give you the financial clout to compete with the bottom five or six clubs in the premier league.
    Exactly, Fulham spent something like 30-40m this year on transfers alone, not including salaries and look where it got them.

They'll be buggered next year if they drop.
  • Options
    Yeah but fulham screwed themselves with Hodgson same as Reed or Dowie IMO non proven at that level and gave him shed loads to spend on poop players

you can not tell me that we couldnt make good use of that money