Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If a club came in with a bid of £2m for Shelvey

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Would the board take it ?

Comments

• Options
    As much as the club are in money trouble, I would say no.
    If they did it would cause such an out cry from the fans and would tell evey other club what a state we are in. Maybe in a season or two when he has made a name for himself the club would take £5-6m.
  • Options
    they'd take the shirt off your back Pete ;-)

no seriously, i don't think they could, as the new Hero of SE7, surely there'd be revolution!
  • Options
    No, I don't think so. He's clearly needed as a CM player and if his improvement continues then he'll be worth a lot more than that in a few years. Short-term gaining say £2m will be nothing as we'll need at least that to replace him in centre midfield. Therefore it's a zero-sum equation and you are better off keeping the player you have.
  • Options
    I would think also that JonJo would get advice to stay where he is for now, grow into his game and gain the experience he needs.

One thing's clear though - if we don't regain Prem status and progress as a club, we won't be able to keep him.
    Even if only for the mid term.
  • Options
    As I mention on another thread the clubs have more power over players up to the age of 21 than for players after that age.

If he is as good as we and everyone thinks he is then he'll have plenty of time to make his money, in the meantime we'll have to hope that his agents and advisers are playing the long-term game as well.
  • Options
    Hopefully, BFR.

He'll learn more playing frequent first team football at The Valley, than stuck in say, Chelsea's reserve team for the next 3 years and going out on loan, like Sinclair.
  • Options
    There are plenty of players who go to Prem teams from lower league clubs, but Charlton have one of the better set-ups if not the best set-up, outside the Premiership.

That doesn't mean that he'll stay if he get's a stupid offer or if the club get greedy, just that if he is any good then a couple of seasons at Chjarlton will bring his game on much faster than spending a chunk of the season living out of a suitcase on loan somewhere.
  • Options
    God, I hope not. We're going to need our youth setup to pay dividends now on the pitch not off it.
  • Options
    I'm going to start a thread in a minute called "If someone fired a gun and blew my right foot off... would it stop me driving people around the bend with hypothetical worst-case scenarios?"
  • Options
    I doubt it would.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It depends on what we could do with the £2 m. If we could use it as we diud the Bowyer money then yes, but if it was just the same as Reid then no.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]God, I hope not. We're going to need our youth setup to pay dividends now on the pitch not off it.

Eh?
  • Options
    No. Not now. They'd wait till the last day of January.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]No. Not now. They'd wait till the last day of January.[/quote]at 11.30 pm
  • Options
    I think so because we had to sell Reidy for much less than his true value - which must show the pressure the finances are under.