Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

just back from Oakwell

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Im staying up in county durham with porkpie and we have just got back from the game.
Yet again we return to the doom and gloom of the live match thread.
Today we were lightweight and made errors that barnsley took full advantage of.

It wasnt a horrific performance.
Jonjo was the highlight, some great incisive passes, a couple of hard tackles and three efforts on goal , only denied by woodwork. Halford looked good at right wing particularly in the second half. Madjid was a liability first half and kept letting the ball bounce in the area, McCarthy improved with Sodje by his side in the second half.
Semedo was comfortable without being exciting.
Thatch had a bad game, lost concentration, made some horrific back passes and lost his head too much.
Varney did bits but didnt have enough support
Iwelumo did Ok, gave away less fouls and won alot in the air.
Gray looked useful when he came on.
Holland looked tired from the outset and was clearly annoyed with his performance when he came off at the end.
Ambrose didnt get into the game.
Wagstaff didnt have much of a chance to get into the game and when he did was bustled off the ball easily, probably seemed worse as Shelvey took to the game like a duck to water.

The fans reaction after the game was mixed, obviously disappointed, as the players were (to say they were lacking in spirit is unfair), however the fans gave the players "what they deserved when they came off", applause, and were applauded in return for their support.

Comments

• Options
    Cheers for that Thommo - seems like a pretty balanced summary to me.
  • Options
    trying to work out if we were shite or not from that summary.
  • Options
    not being funny but the more vocal fans were not in attendance,how anyone could clap them is beyond me,and needs there head testing
  • Options
    nolly do you think we are in danger of relegation next season with big nose in charge?
  • Options
    I've just got home from the match and must have watched a different match to Thommo.

Charlton were rubbish, with the exception of the 2 youngsters & Sodje the rest were not fit to wear a Charlton shirt. None of the forwards seemed to have any co-ordination or communication between them, Halford is a carthorse with a long throw and neither they nor the management on the side seem to really care.

If that is what we have for next season we shall be fighting relegation.

Congratulations to the 425 Addicted who turned up and out sung Barnsley

Cambell Rice was deservedly MoM
  • Options
    Why do people clap when we lay down and die? I don't agree with booing either because it doesn't achieve a great deal, but why clap a pathetic display? It gives the wrong impression that it might be acceptable.
  • Options
    I clap because Barnsley on the day were better than us, we tried, we werent good enough. Not all players gave abject performances. I dont think we laid down and died during the game, certain players heads dropped we conceded poor disappointing goals, some players kept up the fight, they were the ones I clapped. I was really disappointed for Shelvey a great performance and deserved better. I wanted to clap him off for a great debut, he did really well.
  • Options
    i hope people let them no,win or lose saturday by going straight after the whistle if not before,i would suggest they dont insult us by coming out for a clap,worst bunch of human beings to put a charlton shirt on.all pardews work,steve they will struggle if this palace mug stays,i think he will walk
  • Options
    Yeah fair play on clapping Shelvey - he sounded like he was good. The rest aren't worthy of being clapped though.

How good was Shelvey then Thommo?
  • Options
    your easy pleased thommo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    from watching him in the youth team the boy is pure class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i hope people let them no,win or lose saturday by going straight after the whistle if not before,i would suggest they dont insult us by coming out for a clap,worst bunch of human beings to put a charlton shirt on.all pardews work,steve they will struggle if this palace mug stays,i think he will walk

Not quite, I have seen worse.

Shelvet was pretty sound and did not try to be too flash, but did the simple things well and almost got a goal, think made one poor pass all game - so a big positive for the future. Poor Wag did not really have a chance came on when all was lost, hard for him to get in the game so lets not make any judgements.

Overall I blame Pardew for todays performance, too many players in positions which they have not been used to this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i hope people let them no,win or lose saturday by going straight after the whistle if not before,i would suggest they dont insult us by coming out for a clap,worst bunch of human beings to put a charlton shirt on.all pardews work,steve they will struggle if this palace mug stays,i think he will walk

Safe to assume you'll be down the New Den again?
  • Options
    nope im charlton through and through,does not mean we have to be happy with that shit.
  • Options
    Also I wouldnt go down Charlton on Saturday if I was you nolly, I have a strange feeling they won't let you in!!
  • Options
    meaning mate?
  • Options
    Meaning the game is on Sunday !!!!
  • Options
    He's done you there nolly - you've got to laugh at that one!
  • Options
    Offy, you ever drink in the Mitre on Holborn?
  • Options
    Isn't that the little boozer down the alley off Hatton Garden?

Have been in before but it was chocka in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    i did,though i said last week im on two minds to go,anyway the seasons over im off messageboards for a while.enjoy the summer everyone
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Isn't that the little boozer down the alley off Hatton Garden?

Have been in before but it was chocka in there.

Been in a fair bit last two weeks, colony put the beer up to £3.60 a pint, so won't be going back in there.

It's a lovely little boozer, right tucked away with some half decent ales!
  • Options
    You been to The Lamb yet Stu? Lovely pub that is.
  • Options
    Play another record lads.

I'm an optimist as far as I can't bring myself to be a yid and boo a CAFC XI although I'm starting to get fed up with Pardews shit, Shelvey from what I've been told nd from what I heard was the best player in a Charlton shirt. Good. Sunday is left to stick on a pride performance, as far as I can gather we can't relegate Coventry unless we beat them 50 nil so I truly expect a blood and guts display in front of us peasants who pay the wages.

HOWEVER if next season the silver fox has not learned from some repeated lessons he's had this year we are in the shit and for a squad that has cost a not inconsiderable amount to assemble I will seriously start to get riled
  • Options
    And the homebrew I am cultivating will surpass any Holborn shite you two have been supping, it's the shizz I tell thee
  • Options
    Not that I can remember, might drop in tomorrow for a quick one see what it's like.

Trying to find somewhere decent to go for my leaving drinks on Friday.
  • Options
    Oh you actually did it then Dicko??? Glad you didn't get that out on Wednesday!
  • Options
    Here you go Stu - go on a crawl and see which one of these you like best.

The Lamb

Rugby Tavern

Kings Arms
  • Options
    It won't be fully ready until at least the end of the month maybe longer. If that stuff had come out Wednesday none of us would be capable of speech even now
  • Options
    I did my own home brew once. Shocking stuff it was. Mind you, it was cheap - and obviously I drank it all anyway!!!