Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th April 1981. Carlisle 1 Charlton 2

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 25th April 1981. Brunton Park. Att: 4,397

Carlise United 1 (0) (Bannon 77) Charlton Athletic 2 (2) (Walsh 17, Robinson 40)

Carlisle: Swinburne, Haigh, Coady, Hamilton, Houghton (McDonald 46), Parker, Coughlin, Campbell, Bannon, Beardsley, Staniforth.

Charlton: Johns, Naylor, Warman, Madden, Berry, Tydeman, Powell, Walsh, Hales, Smith, Robinson. Unused sub: Gritt.

Referee: A Saunders (Newcastle).

Promoted: By beating Carlisle, Charlton regained their second division status at the first attempt. Goals from Hales (23) Paul Walsh (18) and Martin Robinson (13) making up the bulk of The Addicks tally for the season (league and cup).

nb I noticed on the previous page that our 4-0 defeat away at Chester was punctuated by "Play was briefly interrupted when a Charlton supporter removed a corner flag and threw it out of the stadium." Anyone remember that?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2008
    wasn't this one of the pitch invasion/Blackpool days to be repeated in 86?

one of the sorts of days I wish I had been around to experience
  • Options
    Yes was a pitch invasion with Terry Naylor thumping some Carlisle herbert who was geting a bit silly.
    Was there brought a crate of booze to drink on the train only for Obill to put up a sign as we were quing up to get on train "dry train". had to put it in left luguage. managed to smuggle bottle of vodka on the train though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]nb I noticed on the previous page that our 4-0 defeat away at Chester was punctuated by "Play was briefly interrupted when a Charlton supporter removed a corner flag and threw it out of the stadium." Anyone remember that?

I'm afraid I do.

In those days they just chucked you out the ground. I remember trying to watch the game from outside Sealand when some local psuedo scousers decided to have a pop at 'the cockney'. Being a bit lighter on my toes in those days I decided discretion being the better part of valour I'd at least make it difficult for them. It was like a scene from the Keystone Cops, with me running around Sealand shouting 'chase me' and four of them unable to get anywhere near me.

I also remember the team being at the station after the game and Martin Robinson sitting on one of those kit hampers almost in tears.

I think this was my favourite season following Charlton - 11 away wins and saw them all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]nb I noticed on the previous page that our 4-0 defeat away at Chester was punctuated by "Play was briefly interrupted when a Charlton supporter removed a corner flag and threw it out of the stadium." Anyone remember that?

I'm afraid I do.

In those days they just chucked you out the ground. I remember trying to watch the game from outside Sealand when some local psuedo scousers decided to have a pop at 'the cockney'. Being a bit lighter on my toes in those days I decided discretion being the better part of valour I'd at least make it difficult for them. It was like a scene from the Keystone Cops, with me running around Sealand shouting 'chase me' and four of them unable to get anywhere near me.

I also remember the team being at the station after the game and Martin Robinson sitting on one of those kit hampers almost in tears.

I think this was my favourite season following Charlton - 11 away wins and saw them all.

It was you? LOL You hooligan. Can you imagine that happening nowdays? You'd be banned for life.

ps I never made this Carlisle game just the '86 version.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've been to Carlisle twice when we got promoted and they were both f*cking brilliant. They were so good I can't remember which way round they were. One was the coach and then off to Blackpool. In the pub the govenor comes up and says he owns a club round the back if we go round now we can have free entry. We chipped in £1 each for the coach driver so he would take us back at 2ish in the morning. The other one went by train and although it was a "football special", so a cattle truck dry train, the old bill were obviously in a good mood and they told the BR workers "they've just got promoted so let them have a couple of drinks". The train was drunk dry by the time we got back to London.

I know one of them we were 2-0 down and won 3-2. We got promoted, they got relegated. I also think one of there players scored an own goal. Although I could be totally wrong as at my age the past is getting foggy.

Happy days.
  • Options
    jim tolmie own goal m8,best own goal of all time,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]I've been to Carlisle twice when we got promoted and they were both f*cking brilliant. They were so good I can't remember which way round they were. One was the coach and then off to Blackpool. In the pub the govenor comes up and says he owns a club round the back if we go round now we can have free entry. We chipped in £1 each for the coach driver so he would take us back at 2ish in the morning. The other one went by train and although it was a "football special", so a cattle truck dry train, the old bill were obviously in a good mood and they told the BR workers "they've just got promoted so let them have a couple of drinks". The train was drunk dry by the time we got back to London.

I know one of them we were 2-0 down and won 3-2. We got promoted, they got relegated. I also think one of there players scored an own goal. Although I could be totally wrong as at my age the past is getting foggy.

Happy days.
    Happy days
  • Options
    Soton. the train was the 1981 match.

Got absolutely lathered on a bottle of vodka, all the way home singing, "Mike Bailey, Mike Bailey, Mike Bailey, Mike Bailey, Mike Bail-Leeeeeeeee!

Can't remember singing anything else - until we got to Euston where all the Charlton raised the roof singing loads of different Charlton stuff.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the country being covered in snow that day?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at the '86 game - absolutely superb day out. This season makes me cherish those memories even more.

For the '81 game we were around at some family friends, who we stood next to on the East Terrace, and we were all huddled around the radio listening to Peter Burrows on LBC.
  • Options
    and one to wet your appetite for next season. Moist yet?
  • Options
    The corner flag at Chester was apparently pinched by Paul Walsh's Dad. We were storming the division at the time and managed to lose 4-0, think a few of them were thinking about the cup game at Ipswich the following week.

The team were on the same train as us coming back from Carlise that year, remember mobbing them at the station, they got first go at the buffet car and cleaned out the booze stocks PDQ.
  • Options
    bump

ps I still think Addicted should be retrospectively banned !
  • Options
    And I was there.
  • Options
    That was a great day out - if only Oldham can be the same this season
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I remember one game at Carlisle where we got thumped about 4-0??? We might have got 1??? Would have been mid 70's

Weren't many there and a poxy long train journey home
  • Options
    30 years ago this week.
  • Options
    One of my first long distance away games I really loved that season , my Dad let me go to this one but I had to travel by coach so missed the team travelling withn the fans on the train.

Our former player Alan Campbell played for the Cumbrians that day as did the youthful Peter Beardsley .I think another former Addick Hugh Mcauley was also on Carlisle's books at the time.

I remember being really disappointed when Bailey departed in the summer and Mullery dismantled the team. I still think Bailey was one of the best managers we had and could maybe have taken us all the way back to the old Division One.
  • Options
    I was at both games but the 81 one stands out in my memory. We got a late train from Euston (after the pubs closed) that got us in at something like 4.30am. There were about 20 of us on it as the advance party and we all dossed at the station for an hour or two before heading off to find a cafe. As we came out of the station a window was hauled up from above the door of a hotel right outside and a mate of ours greeted us in his Birthday Suit with "morning!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    twice at Carlise ,won both.
  • Options
    Can't believe this was 31 years ago .Most of tomorrow's team were not even born when this game was played.
  • Options
    My 19th birthday ! Enjoyed that !!
  • Options
    I clearly remember the flag incident but I am shocked to learn who it was
  • Options
    I think we took about 5,000 to Carlisle that day - those were the days when we had proper supporters. Oh, perhaps not, the attendance was 4397.
  • Options
    I was just checking this one in "Home and Away" ealier (wanted to see the time of the Jim Tolmie goal). "An estimated 2000"
  • Options

Our former player Alan Campbell played for the Cumbrians that day as did the youthful Peter Beardsley .

Just re-reading the thread. I'd forgotten that Alan Campbell had been in the Carlisle side in the 1981 game. I suppose he would have been well over 30 by then.

One of my early Charlton heroes, capped for Scotland U-23.....great tricky ball playing midfielder - especially effective linking up with skipper and Wales international Graham Moore in centre midfield of the legendary 68-69 Firmani team.
  • Options

Our former player Alan Campbell played for the Cumbrians that day as did the youthful Peter Beardsley .

Just re-reading the thread. I'd forgotten that Alan Campbell had been in the Carlisle side in the 1981 game. I suppose he would have been well over 30 by then.

One of my early Charlton heroes, capped for Scotland U-23.....great tricky ball playing midfielder - especially effective linking up with skipper and Wales international Graham Moore in centre midfield of the legendary 68-69 Firmani team.
    Well, you live and learn. I didn't realise Alan Campbell ended up at Carlisle. Graham Moore - now, he was exceptional.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Graham Moore ..... 6 foot plus, broad shoulders, strong in the tackle - yet great 1st touch, good passing range and vision. And could he strike a ball - those 25 yard pile drivers scorching into the top corner, keeper had no chance.

But best of all was his organisational and leadership qualities.
    In my mind, I can still hear him urging the team on at The Valley in that Welsh accent:

"C'Mon, C'MON!"

• Options
    I remember hardly anything about the game and I was there.

All I remember is that it was a dry train on the way back but the police let them open the bar as we had just been promoted.