Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weaver

I noticed on the Thatcher/ Holland post that NLA thinks we should sell Weaver. I'd be really disappointed if he went. He hardly did a thing wrong all season bar a silly sending off, and certainly won me round as I was not keen at all when we signed him. I could imagine a Prem club coming in for him, but if we have any ambition to do better next season, we have to hang on to him. Elliott may be OK as a number two, but still has a lot to learn, and I've never been convinced by Randolph.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    He;d do a job in the PL so can see him being a saleable asset to be honest.
  • Options
    Not a fan Weegie......dont think he has warmed to the fans or vice versa...bit dodgy on crosses, but a good shot stopper
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Weaver is allegedly on big Cash Weegie only allegedly mind

i think Weaver has done fine for us i am just looking at players that have a return value unfortunatly Weaver has that i would say and i think it might be worth cashing in on him,
  • Options
    He does not come of his line enough for me, the only time he did he got himself sent off, no real command of his area for someone so big. Fine shot stopper mind.
  • Options
    So any suggestions of who replaces him in that case - yes, he has his faults, but I don't get the logic of how we replace him with someone better at half the cost? Big gamble to hope that both Elliott and Randolph will come good otherwise.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No idea weegie i reckon Deano might come available again at the end of this season if pards hadsnt ruined our chances of getting him back. i know he loves the club and the fans and i reckon we could do a deal with him on the salary front i also think we should all face that we may not be seeing better players than the ones we sell for a long time.

its going to be the curbs adage of improving the whole squad instead of improving in areas of the squad like we did in years 4,5 of the prem
  • Options
    i personally think weaver is over rated by many charlton fans. yes he is a great shot stopper, however he cannot jump, therefore he is not good at collecting corners and crosses. he is extremely slow, coming out to collect over hit balls from oppo teams, he takes ages to move his feet to move across goal if it is hit across him. yes he has made many great saves, as has every goals keeper in every team. i for one wouldnt be that bothered if weaver was sold.
  • Options
    big him up though Chi we never know whos reading we could add a nought or 2
  • Options
    I've seen better keepers than Weaver at The Valley but that is because we've had some good ones.

Weaver is competent and as things stand we need his experience. I put my hand up to thinking Pards should have saved money and gone with Randolph and Elliott back in the summer after Randolph's fine game at Liverpool. The Southampton game demonstrated how premature that was! If we seriously want promotion next season then we need a confident, competent number 1 and Weaver fits that bill. Elliott and Randolph (Southampton cock up aside!) are both improving and will push him harder. I have no worries about either of them deputising for one off games but I'm not sure either is ready to be first choice for 46 games.
  • Options
    Weaver has been consistent and kept us in many games this season one particular save away at Sheff Wed was world class. I see no reason to sell him given the stick he got whilst at the Massives when visiting the Valley I think he has carried himself very well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    because he is one of a few that we could cash in on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]because he is one of a few that we could cash in on

I understand your cash in point but if it is accepted neither Elliott or Randolph are yet ready to be first choice surely we would have to spend to replace him?

People moaned when we "cashed in" on Reid and given his dodgy fitness record there was more justification then.
  • Options
    I say we sell him, I mean we all saw what Randolph can do the other week ;-)
  • Options
    thats the million dollar question len as i said earlier i have heard deano may be available come the end of the season and with his connections to us he may come back and help thats if pards hasnt ruined it with the sniping against wba
  • Options
    You are only as good as the defence in front of you, and that defence has made too many silly mistakes, failed to deal with crosses etc, and often Weaver has had too many different players playing in that defence.

If next season we are to get promoted or at least challenge then we need a far more solid defence and Weaver can play an important part in that.