Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We've had a big squad

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
this season and economics and possibly our inconsistent performances suggest that it needs trimming.

How many do we need and who would you keep or move on?

Weaver
Elliot
Randolph

Moo2
AN Other (Halford maybe at times we've been harsh!)
Gibbs (Bought to play in the Prem should dominate at this level worth a punt)
Fortune (Underrated: we won most matches when he played, good squad man)
Bougherra
AN Other (Aggressive centre half in Sodje mould but preferably better than Sodje! Sodje if all else fails! How good is Montero?)
Youga
Basey (reservations about his pace but good left peg and physical presence)

Sam
Wagstaff
ZZ
Racon
Ambrose
AN Other (Michael Brown, Carsley, Graveson type Curbs can we have Parker back?!)
Thomas J (Will probably go though)
AN Other (Yeates Colchester maybe

Varney (Hope he stays could also play wide midfield)
Toddy (Has the class to gamble on. I'm counting him and McCleod as 1 striker)
Gray (Not convinced but Pards must have seen something in him)
Iwelumo (Bench rather than starting X1)
Dickson
McCleod (may yet come good-see Toddy)

Fringe Players: A Thomas, Arter, J Wright, Shelvey, Uchechi, Yussuf

Squad of 25 (24 if Thomas J goes) 6 fringe players.

Goodbye with thanks to Thatcher, Holland and Sankofa.

Try and recoup or better what we paid for Paddy.

Offer Sir Chris a deal as we want him as a future coach and role model but loan him somewhere like Gillingham to satisfy his urge to continue playing.

Have I missed anyone??

Comments

• Options
    I reckon Shelvey will end up featuring more than any of us will imagine. Unlike many of our youngsters he is big and strong and physically capable.
  • Options
    we still need a goal scorer, and the centre of midfield looks a bit suspect. think i'd keep paddy though and lose someone else. seems like a good squad though and not too big.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shelvey will have too play otherwise we will have to pay big bucks for what we need but we would already potentially have that player in shelvey he will be 17 next year so when is old enough to start getting confidence and experience play him and lets see what he can do
  • Options
    Let's not forget about Harry Arter either. Been badly hindered by injuries this season but looked very, very promising as a central midfielder before that. Centre mid of Shelvey & Arter next year anyone? LOL. Probably a season or two too soon I would guess.
  • Options
    Shelvey may well have the ability but is a 16/17 year old going to play 46 games?!

Youngsters have to be introduced gradually, given a game or two and then back to the reserves.

I've seen Jonjo and he is a big boy for his age but, like most teenagers, may have outgrown his strength. We don't want to overload him too soon.

At the risk of Chirps telling me off for mentioning the C Word:-) Curbs introduced Konchesky and Parker at 16 but they didn't become regulars until they were about 20 or so.

Michael Owen has had problems, possibly through been asked to do too much too young,and Rooney has too.
  • Options
    Good point Len but we are skint really in comparison to those coming down it didnt do Bowyer any harm and the similarties with them both are there for all to see

Passionate, strong, quick, eye for pass and goal, Shelvey better at deadballs than bowyer already i would say,

i saw him score a corker for england schoolboys this season
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

At the risk of Chirps telling me off for mentioning the C Word:-) Curbs introduced Konchesky and Parker at 16 but they didn't become regulars until they were about 20 or so.

Michael Owen has had problems, possibly through been asked to do too much too young,and Rooney has too.

we'll have sold him before the problems start!!!

Agreed thou, we can't rush him into games week in week out, I think most fans already seem to think he's the answer to all our problems
  • Options
    i dont think he is the answer but he could be later on in the season once he has started to adjust to pro football he is without doubt the biggest talent at the club