Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC discussing Pubs

Made me think of here.

the beeb were discussing the down turn in the London pub scene.

Strange that so many boozers are closing i dont smoke, i did and sometimes whilst on the ale i still smoke cigars (outside).

Seems that since the no smoking ban more are going under but my opinion is that they were dying out before the ban they just didnt seem to have the same appeal i have been searching for a boozer to call my local since i moved here and i havent found one within a 3 mile radius of my house that i could honestly say gave me the warmth and feeling taht i require from a pub they all seem to be trendy or themed and all i want is a quite beer in a pub not a lounge or Sports bar just a pub. I have made my sons footie club my local because it is of the correct atmosphere and feeling, nothing to poncey or up its own arse. In my opinion the breweries have brought alot of this on themselves by trying to up turn the great London boozer into a gastro or themed delight the bstds.

am i alone or am i right

Comments

• Partially right. It does seem that in trying to chase new customer types the big breweries have ignored their once core customer base
  • Also areas like Woolwich were the pub going public have now moved away or pushed out
  • Old proper pubs are dying on their arses for a fact. One of the only things guaranteed to get people in is sky sports and a back street boozer has to weigh out what a lot of us pay in mortgages to show the poxy stuff.

And the smoking ban IS killing pubs simple as. They are emptier nothing to do with credit crunches.
  • Not in Woolwich the NEW locals stand outside and watch through the window or if they come in they dont buy a drink
  • cost it is then i have always wondered why sky charge so much for the footie to pubs nearly every house sky or cable why go and bang even more out of a boozer
  • edited April 2008
    Another factor is that its is comparatively less expensive to get your booze from the supermarket than it ever was - or by taking a day out to France. Consequently more people drink at home these days. Also, though I wouldn't have thought so important for city pubs, has been the increasing levels of enforcement for drink driving - you rarely see a proper country pub any more, they are nearly all restaurants.
  • I think the government are happy to see boozers closing. Stops the hoi-poloi getting together to plot revolution.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]cost it is then i have always wondered why sky charge so much for the footie to pubs nearly every house sky or cable why go and bang even more out of a boozer[/quote]

Too right, my local is probably giving up its sky after this season, its prohibitively expensive, even with internationals, champions league and 'top 4' premiership games a village pub cant bring in enough custom to cover the expense. Places like O'Neills, Littens, Spoons and the chains will continue to have sport on dragging more custom away from locals.

Its really disappointing, we are looking into the regulars forming some kind of collective to pay a proportion of the sky cost and get discounted beer, but at the moment it looks like Ill either have to get sky or travel six miles into Oxford to watch live games which is just stupid.
  • Social clubs are the way forward, cheap beer, entertainment.

PS...Did I tell anyone I have a gentlemans evening booked for 7th June in Greenhithe???

Oh yeah, just did, £10 a ticket.

Here to help