Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defernsive Record Says It All IMHO

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Just looking at the league table and whilst we are no way adrift at the bottom a record of 18 goals in 12 games says it all.

I know it may not be exciting but we MUST start being more defensive and the reoccurring errors at the back must rest squarely with the management team.

If defenders not picking people up, or being out of position, or failing to deal with the long ball were a one off or happened once a game then that's fine, blame the players for "switching off", if it happens over and over then IMO it must have something to do with the way they are being drilled and coached.

Comments

• Options
    the measly 9 goals scored isnt brilliant either
  • Options
    You don't conceed you don't lose. It has long been our problem... A few years back we were bemoaning a lack of a 20 goal a season striker yet our goals conceeded column was far higher than most of those around us while goals scored was similar.

Anyone now ant to change their opionion of attractive football and relegation battle or Boring football and midtable confort and a flirt with Europe??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]You don't conceed you don't lose. It has long been our problem... A few years back we were bemoaning a lack of a 20 goal a season striker yet our goals conceeded column was far higher than most of those around us while goals scored was similar.

Anyone now ant to change their opionion of attractive football and relegation battle or Boring football and midtable confort and a flirt with Europe??

I would agree with you if the boring football was achieving anything but it wasn't. Where did it get us last season? Take away the decent start we had and we would have been in a relegation battle anyway.
  • Options
    "You don't conceed you don't lose" - First rule of management according to the likes of Wenger, the Special One, Sir Alex...
  • Options
    and from the Kevin Keegan school of thought:

"If you don't score you don't win" ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Just looking at the league table and whilst we are no way adrift at the bottom a record of 18 goals in 12 games says it all.

But if that's what you want to look at, then you have to acknowledge that 15 of those goals actually came in the first 8 games, things have improved markedly since Diawarra has come into the side ... Dowie still had Sorondo and Traore coming back very soon.

Can't prove it of course, but I am very very confident that the up-turn would have continued with some more wins on the way soon.
  • Options
    Curbs did his hardest to defensivly strangle the life out of games last season, did it makes us harder to beat, no.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Curbs did his hardest to defensivly strangle the life out of games last season, did it makes us harder to beat, no.

Well yes it did. We weren't ever bottom and had a better overall defensive record than we have now, aside from a few thumpings.

Its more the manner of the goals were conceding that has got me concerned and the fact, as everyone has acknowledged, we actually have a better squad this season than we've had for the past two.
  • Options
    Dan, i totally understand your point but don't you think the back end of last season the rot was already setting in.

The form for the last 15 games of 05/6 was easily relegation form in my opinion
  • Options
    We have been in relegation form for 12 months now, until last night I felt much more optimistic than during the second half of last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]Dan, i totally understand your point but don't you think the back end of last season the rot was already setting in.

The form for the last 15 games of 05/6 was easily relegation form in my opinion

I dont read too much into our end of season form full stop. Its been rubbish for as long as I care to remember.

The Champ season was prime example 12 wins on th trot and then limped over the line.
  • Options
    What about our mid season form, 9 defeats in 11 games.

Salad Spinner is right, the rot set in long before Dowie took over whether the Curbs faithful accept it or not.
  • Options
    No away win in 12 months, that Is the most scandalous statistic of all..!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Salad Spinner is right, the rot set in long before Dowie took over whether the Curbs faithful accept it or not.

I really dislike this "Curbs Faithful" tag. It makes anyone who mentions him seem like theyre clammering for him back, which Im not. Onward and upward!!

However isnt the reason we spent £11.2m because we realised we had a weak squad and yet ID has made it as bad if not worse....
  • Options
    No back to back wins in almost 50 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wigan have just done four back to backs!
  • Options
    Not my intention, my point is that the downward spirle didn't start with the appointment of Dowie, it began long before that and Curbs has to take some of the blame for that.

Dowie could have spent £100m, wouldn't make any difference if he can't get them off the treatment table.