Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

grub from the past

I remember as a kid the ice cream van that came round did "cider lollys" they were great. Dont expect they could sell those now, and they werent made of "Irish" cider !

When i was an apprentice if the engineers worked and missed their lunch break we got sent up to an open fronted shop in Surrey Docks and had to buy X amount of savolys and pease pudding. Was in grease proof sheets and red hot. naffing loverly though.

When we did a "ghoster" and worked through the night they used to make sure a lady from the canteen came in with bacons rolls. It was probably the fact that you were double nackered but those bacon roles seemed to be the best in the known World.

If you were skint you could go to the canteen they would do you the biggest door step chip butty you have ever seen. strange how they dont seem to taste the same when you do em yourself?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I remember as a kid the ice cream van that came round did "cider lollys" they were great.

Procured from an ice cream van for 30 pence last Saturday:
  • Options
    Now thats dedication to a topic, nice one sco

Bexleyheath/barnehurst area if I'm not mistaken???
  • Options
    sidcup innit? Hollies Clocktower in the back ground?
  • Options
    What clocktower, I cant see it, just a big cider lolly
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It is hard to see past it! it looks rank. I vote for Popeyes. 99 with an ice lolly stuck in the top, cost a pound from the ice cream van at the bottom of Sidcup market. oh those were the days.

I would hazard a guess at the above pic and say it is Marlborough Park Avenue.
  • Options
    Marlborough Park Avenue, Sidcup?
  • Options
    reckon so. i used to live there.
  • Options
    I reckon Suzi has called the road right. Or just off it.

Popeyes, and screwballs - plastic tube of ice cream with a bubble gum at the bottom. Watched a Welling game a couple of years ago where the oppo had a fat Italian looking guy in goal, and my mate spent the whole game shouting 'oyster' at him.

Wonder if kids today get treated to Angel Delight for desert ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I reckon Suzi has called the road right. Or just off it.

There is no pub in the pic so it can't be him.
  • Options
    If you like old sweets and t'ing check out MOBPA the Museum of Brands Packaging and Advertising in Notting Hill 12000 items in the collection

http://www.museumofbrands.com/

Or buy the books. Done by decades so you get the one for your youth and wallow in all the old mags, toys, sweets, crisps, fags, etc, etc

Great for the old people to sit around the fire and say "I remember them"

http://www.robertopiecollection.com/Application/Products/Opie/books1GB.asp
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Stuffed braised Hearts with Mash n Greens...Lovely

Pork Chops with a small piece of kidney
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Wonder if kids today get treated to Angel Delight for desert ??

used to love butterscotch flavoured angel delight closely followed by banana... is it still about??
  • Options
    yeah you can still get em
    i get them for my son sometimes
  • Options
    going on from ice-cream men, anyone remember the toffee apple man?
    a bloke on his motorbike used to ride round on a sunday afternoon selling them from his sidecar.

brokentoothtastic
  • Options
    Suzziiiiiiiiii "looks rank" your in the wrong thread hun as that must be Ami Whinehouse your talking about and couldnt possibly be the cider lolly---cider ?? lolly?? cider??lolly?? yessssssssssssssssss.

Valley mac my old man loved stuffed hearts. cant say i was over keen.
  • Options
    They used to be right at the bottom of the ice cream man's menu board because they were the cheapest - cider apple / cherry brandy lolly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]anyone remember the toffee apple man?

remember getting toffe apples from a seller down on the beach but it might've been a hut , i mean no wonder i've got dodgey railings the crap i used to eat!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]sidcup innit? Hollies Clocktower in the back ground?

Yep...Malborough Park Avenue
  • Options
    looks like the picture is taken from montrose avenue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]looks like the picture is taken from montrose avenue.

Junction of...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The picture is indeed from the junction of Montrose Avenue. I was walking through the parks that run along the River Shuttle when an ice cream van pulled up in Marlborough Park Avenue and saved me a thirsty walk up to The Oval. Bought two cider lollies and a bottle of water for £1.20 - was expecting something like that as change from a fiver...bargain!
  • Options
    The Hollies we used to go to footie training there on a Wednesday night. It was still a kids home then. The natives used to ambush some players on the way in or way out. One night we let a couple of players go early when they got fronted we steamed out of the hall and took our revenge !! The club got banned from The Hollies. Seems it was ok for the kids to jump us but not us them !
  • Options
    I got the sh*t kicked out of me on the way to school by the scumbags one day.

One little f*cker fronted me so I battered him... for about ten seconds when about 10 of his mates joined the fray!
  • Options
    I trained at Lamorbey baths on a monday night and used to be frightened going past there. Was there a swimming pool inside there too - rings a bell that we might have had to train there if it was closed.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    There's a gym and pool there now......(I live there)

Lamorby Baths are now shut...we have a brand new leisure centre where the old golf clubhouse used to be...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I got the sh*t kicked out of me on the way to school by the scumbags one day.

One little f*cker fronted me so I battered him... for about ten seconds when about 10 of his mates joined the fray!

Palace fans?..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]There's a gym and pool there now......(I live there)

Lamorby Baths are now shut...we have a brand new leisure centre where the old golf clubhouse used to be...

I used the hollies swimming pool as a kid, my primary school, Middle Park Avenue used to take me there many moons ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I used to go into the 'haunted house' - now new houses - over the back of willersley park the other side of the river.
    lived in the hollies for a few years over the burnt oak lane end (after i lived on marlborough park avenue between montrose and cavendish) and used to go to the gym a lot with my friends and family as it was only a quid to sign a mate in. spent a lot of time on our bikes riding over the mound in the middle as it was great on your bike but its flat now! the other 'haunted house' opposite the gym is now an apartment building. swear we once saw someone looking out of one of the windows at the top! but I think it was just a mannekin - what a thing to leave in there! used to go past the tennis courts on our bikes to see John Regis as he lived that side and had a basket ball net on the side of his house. loved living in there. we had a double garage and i had a birthday party in there one year, was awesome!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I used to go into the 'haunted house' - now new houses - over the back of willersley park the other side of the river.
    lived in the hollies for a few years over the burnt oak lane end (after i lived on marlborough park avenue between montrose and cavendish) and used to go to the gym a lot with my friends and family as it was only a quid to sign a mate in. spent a lot of time on our bikes riding over the mound in the middle as it was great on your bike but its flat now! the other 'haunted house' opposite the gym is now an apartment building. swear we once saw someone looking out of one of the windows at the top! but I think it was just a mannekin - what a thing to leave in there! used to go past the tennis courts on our bikes to see John Regis as he lived that side and had a basket ball net on the side of his house. loved living in there. we had a double garage and i had a birthday party in there one

year, was awesome!

Some of the houses are pretty impressive...shame ours isnt....lol
  • Options
    Has Lamorbey Park been built over?

I used to play cricket against them years ago and the ground was round the back of The Hollies somewhere in what I assumed was Lamorbey Park.