Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Tue 15th April 1986. Charlton 3 Millwall 3

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Selhurst Park. Att: 7,859

0-3 down inside 20 minutes and could have snatched it in the second half.

Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Stuart 25 44, Melrose 65) Millwall 3 (3) (McLeary 5, Wilson 9 19)

Charlton: Lange, Humphrey, Reid, Curbishley, Berry, Pender, Shipley, Melrose, Pearson, Aizlewood, Stuart. Unused sub: Lee

Millwall: Sansome, Stevens, Hinshelwood, Briley, Walker, McLeary, Lowndes, Wilson, Sheringham, Lovell, Otulakowski (Leslie 85).

Referee: D Reeves (Uxbridge)

Comments

• Options
    Millwall fans in the Arfa wake, nice!
  • Options
    Didn't Mark Reid chase after one of their players and lamp one on him off the ball in this one.

Than again .......... the old memory ain't what it used to be!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That is about as close as I have ever got to walking out of a game. The ground was unbearable those first 20 minutes with Millwall scattered everywhere.

Glad I stayed though :-)
  • Options
    now that was one stressful game , scum all over the ground i remember moving from the holmesdale end of the halfa wake stand to the sainsbury end to get away from those muppets celebrating but i did enjoy the comeback a lot more than the no.75 bus ride home...
  • Options
    These games were a nightmare even more so when we were at Selhurst. Never knew who you were walking along the street next to or even standing in the ground next to. Many an apprehensive look between fans that night.

Whispers in the shadows - gruff blazing voices, hating, waiting.....
  • Options
    Surrounded by Smallwall that day, even my Grandad had a pop at a couple of them :-)
  • Options
    blimey. If everyone was surrrounded by Millwall, and there were only 7,800 there, how many of that were Charlton ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]7,800 there, how many of that were Charlton ?

i reckon it was 60-40 charlton in the ground but in the halfa wake stand it was probably 60-40 millwall in there...
  • Options
    Mmmm at a guess about 50/50 crowd split mate.
  • Options
    I would say more like 50/50. The Arfur W@nk stand was just how Stone described it.

Funny thing is those 3,500 Addicks were probably the same ones who went to the reverse fixtures at The Den in those days. Lot of people would not go to those two games, my parents included.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some things never change...
  • Options
    Funny one, everybody seemed to be mixed in together in the Half Hour Wait stand, but I don't remember any flare-ups. I put it down to a mutual loathing of Palace /Selhurst.

• Options
    This felt like a victory the way we came back.

A vital point on our way to promotion.
  • Options
    Brilliant atmosphere at 3-3 with both lots of fans singing under the same roof and didn't see or hear of any trouble that night
  • Options
    It's weird the stuff you remember. Pretty sure I was at this game, but apart from fighting our way back after being 3-0 down early on, I don't remember much about it. What I do remember is the gloriously bonkers Kevin Nolan match report in the Mercury the following week, which had a big chunk in the middle imagining Lennie on the psychiatrist's couch, bemoaning the players attempts to drive him nuts with performances like that one.
  • Options
    Was sat in our regular seats in the Arthur Waite and was totally surrounded. No fun.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I always stood/sat in the last enclosure open towards the holmesdale and it was the one and only game of the 100ish I ended up going to at selhurst that I felt uncomfortable(shit myself) and moved towards the sainsburys end
    Can't believe what I'm reading above
    And on the 75 bus on the way home it was a definite nutdown and keep quiet with all their gobby pondlife looking for anyone who wanted some

Edit: saw what I wrote 5 years ago boom! my memory is holding it together although where the scum are concerned twas always thus
  • Options
    That's a very decent looking Millwall team.

Great game and lovely header at the Holmesdale End from Melrose to equalise.
  • Options
    Remember it all too well. Same old same old.
  • Options
    Used to hate playing them more at Selhurst than I do at the Valley. Even playing them at Upton Park wasn`t that bad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not another millwall thread!

;-)
  • Options
    My first visit to Selhurst this one.
  • Options
    Was sitting in the Leather Bottle, Cobham with Gary Julians, son of Len former Millwall centre forward, picking our local side for the following weekend on this night. Gary somehow found out that his Lions were 3 up. Local side selected, home I went thoroughly dejected, only to buy a paper the following morning to find out we had somehow nicked a point. By the way Cobham won that weekend.
    As an aside Gary had a decent non league career representing Dartford and Welling and The Fleet along with others, took great delight in scoring against Nicky Johns in a Welling/CAFC pre season friendly telling how Nicky left too much room at his near post. Happy Days.
  • Options
    Steve Lovell, who played for Millwall in that match, is involved with our academy now....
  • Options
    Remember it well. Still couldn't believe we didn't win that night? Was right in the front of the Arthur Wake where the singing fans used to go and was amazed to see the Smallwall fans in our end. How naive I was in those days? I seem to remember revelling in our comeback, annoying the scummy fans but being only a teen the knuckleheads couldn't be bothered to have a go at us.
  • Options
    I also remember it well. I was working for the London Borough of Lambeth at the time (in an office in Brixton) and was late leaving. I arrived at the ground some time after kick-off and in the days before 3G and Wifi technology the only way to know the latest score in a match was either radio or teletext. Having neither at my disposal I arrived at the turnstile handing over my hard earned cash (how much would it have been?) and in doing so, asked the Turnstile Operator how we were doing. This was a 'Home' game against our local rivals so imagine my shock as the Operator chuckled and advised that "You're losing two nil, ha ha!". I was absolutely furious and have always cited this incident, amongst others (Palace coloured corner flags were always an issue), as reasons for despising The Glaziers.
    I ended up spending the match standing and chatting with some (decent) Millwall supporters as I couldn't find my mates, in pre-mobile phone days this was a fairly common occurrence. After the match, on the drive home it dawned on me how much I despised Palace and I also held a grudging admiration for 'The Wall' due to the conversation with their 'real' supporters. Apart from a few individual deviations this is a view that I have maintained until now.
    I can't imagine that the Cocaine fueled events of last weekend will change this perspective because every 'fackwit' in SE London supports Millwall, this is a sad corollary of the Club's image, which despite the apparent best efforts of the Club continues to offer NOLU (No One Likes Us) type merchandise on official on-line retail sites, how provocative is this?
    Anyway we've had a good season so.....feck 'em all, feck em'all, the long and the short and the tall......