Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Professional Golf

There is just nothing else like it. They are all gentleman and great sports, apart from the fat sweaty Mrs Doubtfure of course!
In the world of Golf there is nothing like The Masters, I love The Open but the Masters has the unique feature of always being on the same course, unlike any other major.
Such a shame our (Eng) boys fell away again. Poulter, Rose and especially Casey offered and pomised a lot this week but they all fell away.
We (Eng) have had no sucess in golf since Faldo, and before him Jacklin. It is a real shame.
Immelman a worthy winner and I for one am just so happy that I am living through, from beginning to end (hopefully) the Tiger Woods era. He is the greatest sportsman I have ever seen, and I've seen a few: Ali, Nicklaus, Borg, Pele, Maradonna, Warne, Richards, Federer, Sugar Ray Leonard, Campase, Bristow, Davies, Phil Taylor etc etc.
Woods beats them all IMO. I heard a stat the other day, the difference in his rating as No. 1 in the world and No. 2 (Phil Mickleson) is bigger then the difference between No.2 and No. 1000.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2008
    I agree with most of that. Woods is unrivalled as a professional athlete - only Federer comes close to him as an individual sportsman and even his dominance appears to be fading. Possibly in the past you could argue that Sergei Bubka or Ed Moses were that dominant in their respective sports, but even they didn't last as long as Tiger already has at the top. Others have arguably been dominant for brief periods, but none of them are even close to Woods. There have been dominant athletes in team sports (Michael Jordan, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky) but they all needed a decent supporting cast. Woods knows that whenever he goes out there its all about him, and that sort of pressure must be intense.

As for the rest of them, golfers like Garcia, Els, Singh etc must curse the fact that they had the misfortune to play in the Woods era :). Mickelson is a prick, so I don't put him up there with Woods anyway but, as you say, they're all so far behind him that it scarcely matters! What must it be like to play that course? I think I'd faint before I teed off!
  • Options
    got to say I can;t stand golf don't watch a single minute of it and baffles me how many people actually go to a course to watch BUT as a sportsman I do think golfers are unrivalled for talent.

To be able to hit a little ball straight and long etc is amazing.