Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local papers closing

The Kent Messenger have apparently told staff that they are closing the Bexley and Bromley Extras.

Not surprising because there are too many free papers in Bexley and Bromley to be sustainable, but a shame because the Bexley Extra is best local coverage we get.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed. The Extra is the only one I bother looking at. All the others are rubbish.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]The Kent Messenger have apparently told staff that they are closing the Bexley and Bromley Extras.

Not surprising because there are too many free papers in Bexley and Bromley to be sustainable, but a shame because the Bexley Extra is best local coverage we get.

yes, read that in my Bexley Extra yesterday. Real shame because the coverage was excellant. It was the only 'freebie' I really read as the others go straight in the recycling.
  • Options
    What has made the local papers suffer is that alot of local business no longer advertise within the paper, and will advertise there services by either a directory or online/ creating their own website. People can also catch up on news and views via websites on a daily basis rather than waiting for the free local rag which the whole family used to fight over years ago.
  • Options
    I dont get any free rags any more. . no mercury or newshopper hits my hall.

I get that rubbish greenwich rag or whatever is tho... what a load of plop that is.
  • Options
    Greenwich TIme - The mouthpiece of the Greenwich Council polit-buro should be called 'the truth'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]The Kent Messenger have apparently told staff that they are closing the Bexley and Bromley Extras.

That's a shame although I never got a Bromley edition delivered to the house. Just because I have a 100 yard drive, guard dogs and electrified fences is no excuse.

Will they still be making use of that Rick whatshisname guy who writes the Charlton Column in the KM. Not a bad writer IMHO ; -)

Newshopper seem to be really stepping up their Charlton coverage but mostly on line. The actual paper has a few lines and then a link to the website which is a shame.
  • Options
    I hear he's already been tapped up by a rival title . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]I hear he's already been tapped up by a rival title . . .

Hope it's not the Kentish Times. They already have an excellent Charlton Columnist : -)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Newshopper and mercury never deliver anymore,mind you i have noticed its always on sale in the corner shop! We want our free rag
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I dont get any free rags any more. . no mercury or newshopper hits my hall.

I get that rubbish greenwich rag or whatever is tho... what a load of plop that is.

Greenwich Time is a terrible piece of council propaganda ("look! these new bins collections are a success! you are imagining the black bags strewn all over the street") but at least it has a basic level of information in it, which is more than the News Shopper and (especially) the Mercury do. We haven't had a proper local paper around Greenwich for many, many years, not since the Mercury was bought out by the South London Press and was moved to Streatham. I'm sure the good Airman will know more about that.

Always sad to hear of a paper closing, but local freesheets must surely be doomed. The net's the future - at least the News Shopper's recognised this by using its website to publish stories first.