Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team for tomorrow ?

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Although it makes sense, we can't play ten !!

Seems as if Randolph has got the nod. How would you have the rest lining up ?

Comments

• Options
    Think I'd go with the same team that played most of the game last week with Cook back on the left, bougy and Paddy in the centre, ZZ on the right.

Was Ambrose injured last week or just dropped?
  • Options
    Ambrose was benched last week. I'd keep the same team as Plaaayer.
  • Options
    Elliot

Halford
    McCarthy
    Bougherra
    Thathcer

ZZ
    Semedo
    Holland
    Cook

Iwelumo
    Lita
  • Options
    Ambrose was playing, it's just nobody noticed ......... ;o)
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure Elliot is going to be dropped.
  • Options
    Would you have Sam or JT on the bench though?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Think I'd go with the same team that played most of the game last week with Cook back on the left, bougy and Paddy in the centre, ZZ on the right.

Can't see why not an unchanged side as you say. May be sentiment as Elliot is an Addick but I'd play him before Randolph. Then again Randolph did well at Anfield and has been playing regularly in first team football.
  • Options
    Can Hardly believe no-one has noticed that our Lynchpin at the back has returned & we won last week welcome back Magic another three points beckon !

Team has really suffered since Palace at Home which was his last game !
  • Options
    Randolph (Simply for the Experience)

Halford
    McCarthy
    Bougherra
    Thathcer

ZZ
    Semedo
    Holland
    Cook

Varney( Both centre backs are mid 30's and his pace and energy will knacker them out)
    Lita
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Can Hardly believe no-one has noticed that our Lynchpin at the back has returned & we won last week welcome back Magic another three points beckon !

Team has really suffered since Palace at Home which was his last game !

Yet he was getting a coating at the start of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My team for tomorrow

Randolph

Halford
    Boogy
    Macca
    Maggie

Holland
    Semedo

Varney
    ZZ
    Thomas

Lita

Subs

Elliot
    Iwelumo
    Cook
    Ambrose
    Fortune
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Randolph (Simply for the Experience)

Halford
    McCarthy
    Bougherra
    Thathcer

ZZ
    Semedo
    Holland
    Cook

Varney( Both centre backs are mid 30's and his pace and energy will knacker them out)
    Lita

I think that that is a good point but think we should start with big Chris but Varney should definitely get a good half hour (by then they should be flagging a tad).
  • Options
    Elliott
    Halford Magic Paddy Youga
    Ambrose Semedo ZZ Cook
    Lita Varney

Subs Gibbs Shelvey Gray Thomas Randolph

Time to prepare Holland for a goodbye, Youga more positive than Thatcher, and I'm surprised so many want the ball lumped up to Iwelumo on the strength of a solitary win.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wing Backs for me.

Randolph
    Motorkil (if not suspended), Halford, Magic, Mccarthy, Youga
    ZZ, Semedo, Holland
    Big Chirs, Leroy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Elliott
    Halford Magic Paddy Youga
    Ambrose Semedo ZZ Cook
    Lita Varney

Subs Gibbs Shelvey Gray Thomas Randolph

Time to prepare Holland for a goodbye, Youga more positive than Thatcher, and I'm surprised so many want the ball lumped up to Iwelumo on the strength of a solitary win.

Bang on AG. That is the team I would want to to see.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I'm surprised so many want the ball lumped up to Iwelumo on the strength of a solitary win.
    Thats not the reason. He was involved with both of our goals, showed an unbelievable level of commitment and finally has a striking partner who is on his wavelength. The number of flick ons Lita won from Iwelumo against both Wolves and Plymouth was more than we have seen all season.

As for Varney when he came on against Plymouth, he looked very unfit - slow, lethargic and dis-interested. Maybe it was a one-off but i'd still go with the old adage of not changing a winning team.

And how you can drop Holland beggars belief. Lets prepare him for a "goodbye" when he is not playing very well and not contributing anything to the team eh?

I know its all about opinions but Holland and Iwelumo were vital in our win against Plymouth and i don't think it should be ignored.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I'm surprised so many want the ball lumped up to Iwelumo on the strength of a solitary win.
    And how you can drop Holland beggars belief. Lets prepare him for a "goodbye" when he is not playing very well and not contributing anything to the team eh?

Can someone please explain to me what I am missing. What exactly is it that Holland contributes to the team?

He doesn't sontrol the midfield, doesn't tackle, deosn't score, doesn't set anything up. Why is it that some feel that he is so indispensable?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    Leadership
    Steady head
    Link between defence and midfield and midfield and attack
    Versatility - can play on the wings and in the centre
    Experience
    Assured passing - maybe he doesnt fling 70 yard passes across the pitch but he does not waste the ball
    Assured tackling - he breaks up play and makes sensible tackles which don't take risks

The only thing that he has missed this season is goals which is frustrating.
  • Options
    Its his birthday today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Leadership
    Steady head
    Link between defence and midfield and midfield and attack
    Versatility - can play on the wings and in the centre
    Experience
    Assured passing - maybe he doesnt fling 70 yard passes across the pitch but he does not waste the ball
    Assured tackling - he breaks up play and makes sensible tackles which don't take risks

The only thing that he has missed this season is goals which is frustrating.

Sorry WSS but I would disagree with pretty much all of that. As I said what is his role in the side?

Is he a defensive player? Semedo is far better in that position as he showed earlier in the season. Is he an attacking player? He doesn't bring anything to the side that Ambrose or ZZ couldn't do better. Look at their goal return compared to Holland.

Break up play? I don't think so. If that was his job then why is it that oppersition ghost past him so easily? Assured passing, hardly difficult when 95% of the time it's either sideways or backwards.

He's got experience but I'd rather have someone that can make an impact on a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, i'm sure plenty of people agree with you BDL but i just see him differently. There was a period where he was terrible for us, but ever since he came back into the team under Pardew I think he has been excellent.

Just because he doesnt bang in 35 yarders every game, do 20 stepovers or lunge in with stupid tackles (Semedo), or lose the ball 25 yards out (Semedo) whist trying to turn a player it doesnt make him a bad player.

I think the thing we have missed most this season is people doing the simple things well and Matt Holland does this.

He is also going to win POTY it looks like so some people must agree with me!
  • Options
    I agree with you WSS; I think that Matty is indespensible the way he is playing at the moment. So much of the good stuff he does seems to go unnoticed because it is not dramatic or spectacular. Take him out the team & you will suddenly realise what you are missing though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Yeah, i'm sure plenty of people agree with you BDL but i just see him differently. There was a period where he was terrible for us, but ever since he came back into the team under Pardew I think he has been excellent.

Just because he doesnt bang in 35 yarders every game, do 20 stepovers or lunge in with stupid tackles (Semedo), or lose the ball 25 yards out (Semedo) whist trying to turn a player it doesnt make him a bad player.

I think the thing we have missed most this season is people doing the simple things well and Matt Holland does this.

He is also going to win POTY it looks like so some people must agree with me!

You seem to be judging Semedo on 1 bad game which I think is harsh. Go back to the start of the season when he was playing regularly and I think most would agree that he was excellent in the holding midfield role.

You are probably right, Holland may well win the POTY but as someone else posted, that will have more to do with the time he's been at the club rather than and the lack of options to choose from rather than an endorsment of his performances.
  • Options
    Cook = NO, Thomas in his place please
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Holland was immense at Plymouth.
    He organised that outnumbered 3 man midfield and led by example.

Lot's of supporters question what exactly Holland brings to the team.
    Holland is the player that provides the platform for other, perhaps, more talented players to perform.

But every manager he's played for, whether World Cup Finals internationals, Premier League or Championship teams, invariably puts Holland's name on the teamsheet first.

So what is it, exactly, that every one of these managers doesn't know?
  • Options
    Cook has to start after being subbed after three minutes.

Randolph
    Halford-McCarthy-Bougherra-Thatcher
    Ambrose-Semedo-Holland-Cook
    Lita-Iwelumo
  • Options
    I may be 100% wrong but assuming that Randolph has the nod then I think this is one of the easiest teams to pick.I would be gobsmacked if after Plymouth he doesnt keep the same outfield nine that started.

Randolph
    Halford,Bougy,Paddy,Thatcher
    ZZ,Holland,Semedo,Cook
    Lita, Iwelumo

Subs
    Elliot
    Fortune
    Ambrose
    Thomas
    Varney
  • Options
    Was a no brainer really wasnt it!!
  • Options
    Well done peanuts. what about next week then ?
  • Options
    Well the big question is does Pards give up on this year. Wolves play WBA in midweek and there are some other tasty fixtures next weekend. So although its gone I think Pards wont be too revolutionary next week.

So here we go

Weaver
    Halford,Bougy,Paddy,Thatcher
    Ambrose,Holland,ZZ,Cook
    Lita,Gray

Semedo's discipline is appalling. I felt for him at times because he was making himself available but if Pardew sees some future for him then there is a lot of work to be done before start of next season.

Subs
    Elliot
    Semedo
    Thomas
    Varney
    Iwelumo