Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defining moments for football fans

DA9DA9
edited April 2008 in General Charlton
My boy flirted many years ago with Manure and other bigger clubs as a toddler, his stepdad took him to the occasional nillwall game, got him his first ST this year, now he's hooked.....FOR LIFE

His defining moment for me was the World cup defeat to Portugal in 06, only 9, when they beat us he turned to me in the Liberal club and starting crying, right then I knew he understood and it was then instilled for life, I was gutted for him but also very very proud at the same time.

Comments

• Options
    Crikey must be great getting your boy or Girl hooked on CAFC, not sure what mine was think I only really went cos my Dad paid for me to go. Think if anything it was probably my first away game at Palace we lost 2-1 & Jim Cannon scored for them that day I think. The defeat really hurt on the drive home, think I knew then.
  • Options
    just breed(brainwash) it in to them early...my son is 2 years 2 months and as soon as he sees the charlton badge he has to kiss it...
    i gave him last years season ticket book and there's a charlton badge on all the vouchers etc and he just turns page after page kissing the badge
    poor little bugger sentenced to misery for the rest of his life, that's my boy;-(
  • Options
    I've only got a little girl who isnt interested in football at all. That's fine by me, she's more into dancing etc.

BUT her step dad keeps pushing her into Chelsea. Bought her a Chelsea top etc. Cnut only does it to wind me up.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]I've only got a little girl who isnt interested in football at all. That's fine by me, she's more into dancing etc.

BUT her step dad keeps pushing her into Chelsea. Bought her a Chelsea top etc. Cnut only does it to wind me up.

Yep, my boys stepdad (nice fella actually, feel sorry for him really living with her) tried all that, then he found out about my allegiances and past, he dont do it no more.
  • Options
    I knew my son has got when we played I think Southampton at the end of the season. As Di Canio slipped the ball thru for Euell to run on to I heard him say "go on Jase".

Totally obsessed with football and Charlton now. Watches season videos from before he was born and counts the away grounds he's done.
  • Options
    When at Palace this year my littlen got out of the car and started shouting WE HATE PALACE !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]When at Palace this year my littlen got out of the car and started shouting WE HATE PARDEW !!
    What a surprise. ;-)
  • Options
    VERY GOOD MADE ME LAUGH NOT MANY THINGS DO
  • Options
    My son is nearly three, loves the club, hates Chelsea, ask him who is the best and screams Charlton, sings Red Army and living in Surrey, with the in laws all Chelsea my son telling them that "Chelsea are Poo Poo" brings a tear to my eye, a forth generation of charlton fans is born
  • Options
    My god son was 2 last Friday and we went to his birthday party although that was reduced in size as his sister who is 3.5 has chicken pox, anyway, we heard on our way there that Weaver had been sent off, so weren't expecting much else from the game, so weren't too bothered about following it, but we put on Sky Sports News after a while, and saw that charlton were 1-1 and both the kids starting singing "c-a-f-c" then shouted goooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal when we scored our second.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    suz educate them cafc is NOT a good song please teach the oh it's a grand old team to play for ;-)
  • Options
    maybe when they're older!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]suz educate them cafc is NOT a good song please teach the oh it's a grand old team to play for ;-)

Goodbye Horse or When I was just a little bitty boy should be the first on their list.
  • Options
    I've got 2 occasions really,

The first regarding England was when Gareth Southgate missed the penalty against Germany in '96 and I cried for about half an hour thinking my world was over. It meant so much and for it all to end like that really hurt.

The second regarding Charlton is miles apart! My birth father was an Aston Villa fan but buggered off when I was only little but I supported them as maybe a way of clinging on. My Step Dad is Charlton through and through and used to take me to games and I'd been to about 10 before the day I saw the red light at the end of the claret and blue tunnel! We were at home to Millwall and we stood in the old covered end and won 2-0 with goals from Bowyer and Leaburn, I can remember the game and goals like it was yesterday but it was the attmosphere that really ignited my love for the club. I'll never forget walking away from the ground on cloud nine just thinking...THIS IS FOR ME! A life of misery and disappointment has followed but I wouldn't change it for the world!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I've got 2 occasions really,

The first regarding England was when Gareth Southgate missed the penalty against Germany in '96 and I cried for about half an hour thinking my world was over. It meant so much and for it all to end like that really hurt.

The second regarding Charlton is miles apart! My birth father was an Aston Villa fan but buggered off when I was only little but I supported them as maybe a way of clinging on. My Step Dad is Charlton through and through and used to take me to games and I'd been to about 10 before the day I saw the red light at the end of the claret and blue tunnel! We were at home to Millwall and we stood in the old covered end and won 2-0 with goals from Bowyer and Leaburn, I can remember the game and goals like it was yesterday but it was the attmosphere that really ignited my love for the club. I'll never forget walking away from the ground on cloud nine just thinking...THIS IS FOR ME! A life of misery and disappointment has followed but I wouldn't change it for the world!

christ mate misery and dissapointment,you've only seen the good times.
  • Options
    bad news redarmySE7 the worst is yet to come!
  • Options
    There was a hint of sarcasm in there! It was more regarding England I suppose! I still get "the buzz" everytime I walk up the stairs and see the pitch so it can't be too bad!
  • Options
    I cant really remember a moment but it was the 1993/94 season and went to nearly every home game a worshiped Scott minto and had his name on the back of my shirt when we had the alphabetical squad numbers so he was 11.
  • Options
    you cheapskate go for the shortest name why dont you ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]you cheapskate go for the shortest name why dont you ;-)

my old man got it for me so come to think off it you are prob right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My daughter whose middle name is Valley used to come with me to watch Charlton when she was around 9 - 14 years she then drifted away a bit but still considers herself a Charlton girl. She now works most saturdays but guess what....Her boyfriend is an Addick season ticket holder and re ignited her Charlton passion again. Good lad I say.
  • Options
    i wanted to call my daughter Valley but the missus wouldn't have it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i wanted to call my daughter Valley but the missus wouldn't have it.

Valley as a middle name is cool fella
  • Options
    i know but she hates football
  • Options
    Didn't Balmer have number 1 on his shirt?
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited April 2008
    England - Italia 90 - took me weeks to get over it. Still feel gutted when I see any footage of that game.

My kids haven't bitten yet - Alex has a season ticket but can take or leave it. Harry is 4 and really enjoyed the first half of his first game. Wanted to go home at Halftime, spent the second half playing his DS. Really hope they do, but won't mind if they don't - so long as they don't tell me Dad - I support (Insert top 4 club name here)
  • Options
    or millwall/palace/west ham etc etc BDL. I'm pretty sure I cried with Gazza that night in 1990
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]or millwall/palace/west ham etc etc BDL. I'm pretty sure I cried with Gazza that night in 1990

You beat me to it!
  • Options
    Mine was the cup game away at Spurs in what must have been .what 86 or so where we drew 1-1. I remember singing "we'll see you at the valley, ...........and a lad being arrested for "gobbing" a road sign with Portsmouth on it. I also remember drinking in the Robert E Lee on Seven sisters road.........is that a false memory , I am not sure now.

Also Chelsea away when we drew 1-1. I was oly 16 I think, and I remember trouble in the corner of the away end, and as I recall Chelsea went into the relegation playoffs as a result of the draw.

For my son, Middlesbrough in the cup, even though we lost. First away game for him but he loved it......................
  • Options
    Today, when we equalised and I realised that I didn't really care and that I wasting time and money that could be better spent elsewhere!!