Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Theo Walcott

How good was that run by him to make the Arsenal second goal? He is some talent and frankly I can't believe that he wont get his proper chance for England soon.

Comments

• Options
    it was a fantastic run but to be honest that was the first time he's done something to make people really take notice.

will be a star in future though i'm sure, think next season will see him start a lot more.
  • Options
    yeah have to admit i thought he was a bit of a bluff without any end product but that was an electrifying run last night
  • Options
    He is still very young but the pace and the skill was breathtaking. He may not yet be the finished article but he's an exciting prospect.
  • Options
    Walcott's career has stalled over the last couple of years. Yes he has been injured a lot during that time but I just wonder whether Wenger is doing him any favours by not playing him through the middle.

Generally speaking Premiership clubs tend to play with just the one up top. In Arsenal's case that is usually Bendtner with the likes of Arshavin and Nasri as withdrawn inside forwards. When Walcott plays (or should I say comes on) he ends up being used as a winger and that is simply not his best position. He has pace but his delivery is "a la Lennon" a couple of years ago and he has no great tricks to beat a full back with.

Yet he went to the last World Cup, on Wenger's recommendation, as a forward (at the expense of you know who) and didn't play a single minute.

This all begs the question as to whether he should go to this World Cup and if so where he should play for England. His goalscoring record of 8 from 80 League appearances (half of which have been as subs) would not suggest he's an obvious choice for playing up top with Rooney but it is the very fact that he is so unexposed in that position that makes him the surpise package he was meant to be four years ago.

And before anyone says it yes I would still take Benty but the fact is, for whatever reason, his face has never fitted in the England set up.
  • Options
    The run was amazingly good. ot sure hes ready for the WC in a few months time but what have we got to loose.
  • Options
    Anyone who is fit has a good chance of getting in the world cup squad at the moment, worth taking as an impact player though nothing more.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]When Walcott plays (or should I say comes on) he ends up being used as a winger and that is simply not his best position. He has pace but his delivery is "a la Ambrose at Charlton"

Maybe.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Anyone who is fit has a good chance of getting in the world cup squad at the moment, worth taking as an impact player though nothing more.

I'd better get round to shifting those 3 extra pounds then!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]When Walcott plays (or should I say comes on) he ends up being used as a winger and that is simply not his best position. He has pace but his delivery is "a la Ambrose at Charlton"

Maybe.

;o)

I'll sue you Oggy for misquoting me. Had you said that " Wenger was misusing Walcott's talent a la Pardew/Parkinson with Ambrose" I might have forgiven you.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Anyone who is fit has a good chance of getting in the world cup squad at the moment, worth taking as an impact player though nothing more.[/quote]

I'd better get round to shifting those 3 extra pounds then![/quote]

3???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last night will have convinced Capello even more that Theo is simply an impact player for the last 20 minutes.
  • Options
    What better options do we have on the right wing? If you play Milner there who will play on the left?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Anyone who is fit has a good chance of getting in the world cup squad at the moment, worth taking as an impact player though nothing more.[/quote]

I'd better get round to shifting those 3 extra pounds then![/quote]

dont you mean stone?!
  • Options
    Let's just hope Aaron Lennon is fit for the World Cup eh? Stands head and shoulders above Walcott as the better player - just as quick, better crossing, more tricks and most important can defend. Find me a better English right-winger and I'll gladly eat my Semi-Final ticket for Wembley. On current form, I'd take Milner, Adam Johnson or even David Bentley ahead of Walcott for the right-sided midfield slot.

Let's not forget Walcott was brought on after the Barca left back had been bombing forward at every opportunity for 70 odd minutes. I doubt he would have got much change out of the full-back had he started.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Let's just hope Aaron Lennon is fit for the World Cup eh? Stands head and shoulders above Walcott as the better player - just as quick, better crossing, more tricks and most important can defend. Find me a better English right-winger and I'll gladly eat my Semi-Final ticket for Wembley. On current form, I'd take Milner, Adam Johnson or even David Bentley ahead of Walcott for the right-sided midfield slot.

Let's not forget Walcott was brought on after the Barca left back had been bombing forward at every opportunity for 70 odd minutes. I doubt he would have got much change out of the full-back had he started.

Agree that Lennon is better, but given he's been out for 4 months when it was predicted he'd be out for 4 weeks he's running out of time. Johnson looks good, but would want him on the left.

David Bentley?!
  • Options
    Lennon better crossing??

Think you need to take your Spurs glasses off! :-)

Admittedly he's improved his crossing allot under 'Arry but his end ball is shocking. Plenty of times he would beat a man only to over-hit a cross or put it straight out.

Saying that he's still a better player than Walcott.
  • Options
    I really rate Walcott, think would be more influential coming on for england. i think part of the reason why he has not lived up to his potential is injuries, other part due to wenger making him learn his trade on the wing as he did with a certain Thierry! but i think and have done since beginning of season he should be played up top with someone and of the last defender as they wouldn't know what to do with him think owen but with more pace
  • Options
    Lennon's final ball earlier this season was much much better than ever before.

Certainly an improvement on SWP or Walcott.

Like the idea of Milner left and Lennon right.
  • Options
    Theo Walcott = Lloyd Sam

FACT
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Lennon's final ball earlier this season was much much better than ever before.

Certainly an improvement on SWP or Walcott.

Like the idea of Milner left and Lennon right.

With my Spurs hat on, roll on next season with Bale left and Lennon right. Its enough to frighten any back four to death with them two running all day at you.
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]I really rate Walcott, think would be more influential coming on for england. i think part of the reason why he has not lived up to his potential is injuries, other part due to wenger making him learn his trade on the wing as he did with a certain Thierry! but i think and have done since beginning of season he should be played up top with someone and of the last defender as they wouldn't know what to do with him think owen but with more pace

Wenger has been quoted several times as saying he sees Walcott's natural position as a centre forward and as the natural successor to Henry. He's certainly got the pace to be able to play their but then so has the likes of Defoe, Agbonlahor, Bent etc etc. Has he got the natural footballing ability? probably not. However, as Wenger has always said, all footballers NEED to be natural athletes and you can teach the ball skills.
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Lennon better crossing??

Think you need to take your Spurs glasses off! :-)

Admittedly he's improved his crossing allot under 'Arry but his end ball is shocking. Plenty of times he would beat a man only to over-hit a cross or put it straight out.

Saying that he's still a better player than Walcott.

lol think you might need to get some glasses :-P Maybe in seasons gone by Lennon's final ball was simply not good enough. Think the 1st half of this season he has shown massive signs of improvement.
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Let's just hope Aaron Lennon is fit for the World Cup eh? Stands head and shoulders above Walcott as the better player - just as quick, better crossing, more tricks and most important can defend. Find me a better English right-winger and I'll gladly eat my Semi-Final ticket for Wembley. On current form, I'd take Milner, Adam Johnson or even David Bentley ahead of Walcott for the right-sided midfield slot.

Agree that Lennon is better, but given he's been out for 4 months when it was predicted he'd be out for 4 weeks he's running out of time. Johnson looks good, but would want him on the left.

David Bentley?!

Yes, on current form, why not David Bentley. He's been a completely different player for Spurs in the last 2-3 months since Lennon's been out injured. He certainly has to be higher up the pecking order than SWP as he's actually getting first team football at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    With my Spurs hat on, roll on next season with Bale left and Lennon right. Its enough to frighten any back four to death with them two running all day at you.

Yeah! With those two on the wings and the rest of the current squad, plus one or two overpriced signings, we'll be bloody unstoppable next year! Top 3 I'm telling you! We're bloody amazing at last!

9 months later: Oh no... It's all gone sour! Again.

Annual Spurs cycle.
  • Options
    Bale on the left would frighten teams? dont think so! about as frightenning as Basey is, can put in a cross but not quick enough to frighten anyone

And as for Bentley on good form and should play for england i'll take that as an april fool ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]

Yeah! With those two on the wings and the rest of the current squad, plus one or two overpriced signings, we'll be bloody unstoppable next year! Top 3 I'm telling you! We're bloody amazing at last!

9 months later: Oh no... It's all gone sour! Again.

Annual Spurs cycle.

lol ok. Just like any other team though.
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Bale on the left would frighten teams? dont think so! about as frightenning as Basey is, can put in a cross but not quick enough to frighten anyone.

Yeah ok. You clearly havent seen Bale play in the last 3 months then.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Bale on the left would frighten teams? dont think so! about as frightenning as Basey is, can put in a cross but not quick enough to frighten anyone.

Yeah ok. You clearly havent seen Bale play in the last 3 months then.

Nope, sounds like tinted specs to me still! Bale maybe be effective but never will he be frightening, you tend to associate that with players with pace, skill which he has neither
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Theo Walcott = Lloyd SamScott Wagstaff

FACT
    There, fixed that for you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]

Yeah ok. You clearly havent seen Bale play in the last 3 months then.[/cite]
    [cite]

Nope, sounds like tinted specs to me still! Bale maybe be effective but never will he be frightening, you tend to associate that with players with pace, skill which he has neither[/cite]

Bale has got a few MOM's in the last 6 or 7 games to be fair. Seems like now he's got the 'no wins when he has started' monkey off his back, he has become a very good player
  • Options
    TW has got that sort of Michael Owen freshness about him, when he came on to the scene all those years ago for Liverpool. He needs more games to make him the finished article and I hope Arsenal don't hold him back. Mind you he is English and you don't get a lot those playing for Arsenal these days so maybe he needs to go to Man City or Man U. Would compliment Torres at Liverpool also.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Find me a better English right-winger and I'll gladly eat my Semi-Final ticket for Wembley.

Margaret Thatcher.

Be a dear and post a video of you eating your ticket, thanks
  • Options
    Bale is quality. He's the best British Isles attacking full back I've seen in decades. If you don't think a full back can't effect the game like a winger, then were have you been since Cafu and Roberto, and France '98? Bale is quality, industrious, zippy with the ball at his feet and unlike Walcott or Lennon has a wicked cross on him. Takes the utter piss out of Bashley Cole, we only now have to find out if long term defensively he'll cope against the top four.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying a fullback can't affect a game like a winger, but I think it's more important that they're actually able to defend. It's one of the things that used to annoy me about the stick Chris Powell got when he was playing for England - he may not have got forward as well as Cashley does, but he was streets ahead of him positionally.