Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot on his debut...

WSSWSS
edited April 2008 in General Charlton
From the OS

Boyhood Charlton fan Rob Elliot is hoping to make his senior Valley debut on Saturday after propelling himself into the spotlight at Plymouth Argyle last weekend.

The 21-year-old rookie goalkeeper replaced the sent-off Nicky Weaver after just four minutes at Home Park, and helped the shorthanded Addicks to a sensational 2-1 win that revitalised the club's play-off dreams.

"I'm feeling fantastic at the moment," said Rob, whose stoppage-time point-blank save from Jamie Mackie left the Pilgrims substitute shaking his head in disbelief.

"When I was getting ready I thought back to my time on loan at Notts County when I was 18. I was really nervous then, but not so bad on Saturday.

"I'm still young, I'm still improving and I know I can improve, but I believe I'm good enough for the Championship.

"The manager obviously has faith in me that I could come on in an emergency and not let the team down."

Of that amazing last-gasp save, the modest Elliot was keen to spread the plaudits to his teammates, saying: "I didn't know too much about it, and just managed to stick out a hand.

"But the lads deserve the credit for it, too. To restrict them to only one chance, apart from the goal, with 10 men was brilliant, and everyone was a part of it from back to front."

He added: "It probably sounds bad but my mum went out and bought all the papers for me the following day. I got my picture in the News of the World and was in the team of the week in The Sun, so that was a good achievement.

"It's a big thing for any fan to play for the club they love. I've worked hard on my game, and I hope that leads to me making another appearance at home on Saturday.”

Comments

• Options
    hope he starts on sat, seems like a good bloke

"It's a big thing for any fan to play for the club they love" - don't hear much like this thesedays, potential fans favourite i think.
  • Options
    It's a big thing for any fan to play for the club they love

I hope he gets his chance on sat. I really do.
  • Options
    echo lol
  • Options
    Agreed.

A first team appearance at The Valley would be great for him.
  • Options
    Song / Chant for Rob ....Any ideas ?
  • Options
    i hope he plays,would rather a real fan play.
  • Options
    I hope he plays too, a real Charlton fan. Whether he or Darren Randolph plays, can we make sure of giving them plenty of encouragement and support. They re both pretty inexperienced ,and dont need the boo or groan treatment if they make a mistake. Come on fellas,lets really get behind them.
  • Options
    None of us really know enough.

Really want this Elliott lad to go on and be a hero for us, but to be honest, i just hope the management select the one who is most ready, with no sentiment involved.
  • Options
    to be honest Smudge if Pardew's let Randolph out on loan he must think Elliott is ready
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]to be honest Smudge if Pardew's let Randolph out on loan he must think Elliott is ready

to cover if need be, yes. But as a starting spot if choosing between the two, i'm not sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]to be honest Smudge if Pardew's let Randolph out on loan he must think Elliott is ready

to cover if need be, yes. But as a starting spot if choosing between the two, i'm not sure.

Does it make a difference that it's only for 1 game?
  • Options
    its a vital, make or break game though
  • Options
    A player can only play one game at a time - so in Elliott's case, whether it's 88 mins as a sub or 90 mins as a starting player,
    the manager must already consider him good enough.

Otherwise Randolph would never have gone out on loan.
  • Options
    Well Randolph's performance at Anfield last season was excellent so I would say we have two quality back up keepers!
  • Options
    Randolph the red nosed keeper
    Has a very shiny nose
    And when he plays for Charlton
    He plays very well in goal

Oh

Randolph the red nosed keeper....
  • Options
    Not impressed with what I've seen of Randolph in the Carling cup or the U21s
  • Options
    Most players need to get a run of games together before they settle and produce their best performances.

If Randolph had had that chance, he would no doubt be showing greater experience & confidence by now.
    Anyone know what his performances were like for Bury and what they thought of him?
  • Options
    Dodgy start but got better. Consensus seems to be that they rate him.

http://www.themightyshakers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34165
  • Options
    Official - Randolph recalled

"Randolph recalled

Darren Randolph returned to Sparrows Lane this morning after being
    recalled from his loan spell with League Two side Bury.

The goalkeeper will go straight into Alan Pardew's squad for this
    weekend's match against Southampton, and in the absence of the suspended
    Nicky Weaver, will vie with recent debutant Rob Elliot for the number
    one jersey.

The decision to recall Randolph means he will miss the final game of his
    second month on loan with the Shakers, and a potential contest against
    Addicks teammate Josh Wright, on loan at Barnet, on Saturday."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Not impressed with what I've seen of Randolph in the Carling cup or the U21s

blimey rothko we agree on something ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know if this means anything but on ye olde facebooke, his status reads "is pissed off beyond belief what a load of f*****g b******s"

Whether that has anything to do with team selection or not I don't know?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]I don't know if this means anything but on ye olde facebooke, his status reads "is pissed off beyond belief what a load of f*****g b******s"

Whether that has anything to do with team selection or not I don't know?

Rob or Darren?
  • Options
    oops, forgot to mention. It was Rob.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    I can't find him. Also my best mates girlfriend's best mate is Rob's girlfriend.

May be going for a beer on saturday...

Found him! It is true...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=597644548
  • Options
    Seems to have a few conversations with Harry Arter regarding nights out in Maidstone!
  • Options
    someone invite him to join Charlton Life.

as he's a fan he definately a player whose shirt we could be sponsoring next season.
  • Options
    i want to sponsor pardew's kit,then i can buy a doll and stick pins in it.