Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich building in Bexleyheath.....

....to be demolished and to become a two story massive Tescos.

Just what we need, yet another big supermarket. No wonder we're all so fat.

Whenever i've been on holiday, when coming back from the airport, you're going down the A2 and then you see the Woolwich building in the distance. Was always my sign that i'm 'home'.

Very sad if its allowed to be destroyed, particularly for another supermarket.

Comments

• Options
    Complete overkill - given the amount of Supermarkets in the area.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]....to be demolished and to become a two story massive Tescos.

Just what we need, yet another big supermarket. No wonder we're all so fat.

Whenever i've been on holiday, when coming back from the airport, you're going down the A2 and then you see the Woolwich building in the distance. Was always my sign that i'm 'home'.

Very sad if its allowed to be destroyed, particularly for another supermarket.

tell them that then barts im sure they will leave it alone so you know where you are going.Failing that buy a feckin sat nav.
  • Options
    wasnt it only built about 20 years back?
  • Options
    The old building in Woolwich is being yuppie flats, right next to the DLR station to boot
  • Options
    New Tesco also going to be opened in Welling at the site of the current tiny Tesco. Building works to start in the Summer. This country is turning into America and fast...
  • Options
    And Dartford Park/Lowfield Street will have a f*ck off Tesco's.
  • Options
    So there will be Tesco Extra's (the big ones) in Welling, Bexleyheath, Sidcup and Dartford ??

The Woolwich building was built in 1989.
  • Options
    True AFKA, we've done ok up until now for food, what makes Tesco think we suddenly need this explosion of enormous supermarkets in the region? My missus will love it but I doubt my wallet will!!!
  • Options
    Is the Woolwich building in Woolwich still there?

That was a fine old building which I would have thought they might list.
  • Options
    my cousin will be mightily peeved. he's in the house thats first going up erith road after the woolwich building!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people are so short sighted - You can clock up airmiles with Tescos and use them when we play in europe in a few years time...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]my cousin will be mightily peeved. he's in the house thats first going up erith road after the woolwich building!

My sister's got a lovely chocolate shop in Erith Road, almost opposite the old 'Woolwich' site entrance.

Both her Dad and her lad are Charlton Season Ticket holders, too :o)
  • Options
    Could do with Tesco in oz......all we have is Woolies (yes they are supermarkets out there) and Coles....no competition and poor standards. Over here its just plain overkill....we have two Tesco's a Sainsbury's and a Waitrose in little old Sevenoaks
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The old building in Woolwich is being yuppie flats, right next to the DLR station to boot

I believe this is a listed building, so no chance of them flattening that one.
  • Options
    there is an exhibition at the marriott this saturday pm for those who want to see the plans for the new development.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]my cousin will be mightily peeved. he's in the house thats first going up erith road after the woolwich building!

My sister's got a lovely[span]chocolate[/span]shop in Erith Road, almost opposite the old 'Woolwich' site entrance.

been past loads of times but never inside. Does she actually do much trade there ?
  • Options
    Tel carefull fella Tesco is a bit like that Cane Toad you Aussies let in the country mate. Once in they eat everything else.

Big hoohaa in Thailand about Tesco which are everywhere called TescoLotus but i spotted their disguse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]there is an exhibition at the marriott this saturday pm for those who want to see the plans for the new development.

oh yes cant think of a better way to spend a saturday afternoon probably more exciting than charlton anyway ;-)
  • Options
    Call me Mystic Meg but i have this feeling that the new Tescos will be square with tills at the front and aisles down the middle and yes i can see it although a bit cryptic but they may have stuff on the shelves in the aisles that you can pay for !

Just a feeling.
  • Options
    yeah, perhaps those living or with business 2 metres from the development may be interested.
    but thanks for your other comments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    only jokin suz i used to live on mayplace road west and when the planning application for the cinema got passed decided it was time to move on.That and the fact every friday and saturday night was a nightmare living opposite the old bill station.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]only jokin suz i used to live on mayplace road west and when the planning application for the cinema got passed decided it was time to move on.That and the fact every friday and saturday night was a nightmare living opposite the old bill station.

yeah, remember those houses now. Vaguely recall a kid at school living along there.
  • Options
    What was the big department store in Bexleyheath called where the centre is now? was it Hides ? I remember thinking it had to be a top place because it had a lift with an attendant in it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]What was the big department store in Bexleyheath called where the centre is now? was it Hides ? I remember thinking it had to be a top place because it had a lift with an attendant in it.
    This guy?
    droopy1.gif
  • Options
    Not him mate he works behind the jump in the bar in the North Stand
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

My sister's got a lovely[span]chocolate[/span]shop in Erith Road, almost opposite the old 'Woolwich' site entrance.

been past loads of times but never inside. Does she actually do much trade there ?

She used to do really well when the 'Woolwich' girls were there and lots of people also come from a fair way to get their speciality chocolate, chocolate-to-die-for and stuff. Girls know what I mean....... ;o)

I believe she also does 'classic' sweets, you know - the stuff from when we were kids years ago!
    Treat yourself, you know you want to!

Go and see her - and say her bruv Rob on Charlton Life told you!!

;o)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Their converting the old focus in Holmesdale Road in Bromley (not the one by Selhurst Park) into a Tesco as I write.

Didn't even need planning permission as not a change of use. I can see endless traffic problems in such a narrow road

Oggy, I'm I missing something with the chocolate references? Is this an euphemism for something
  • Options
    what a nightmare that road is crap
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]what a nightmare that road is crap

Tell me about it. Narrow railway bridge with the queue from the council dump on one side and now a tesco's on the other.
  • Options
    ive got a dump 1/2 mile from me but london borough of bexley,which i have to pay to use but i could drive 3 miles to that shite hole for free.