Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Now has the honour of scoring the first ever league goal for AFC Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Looked to have filled out a bit. Always remember him as a bit of a skinny bloke, but than again I spose we've all filled out a bit since then!
  • Options
    I've kept an eye on his career since we played together for the district and the Charlton youth team

Cracking goal yesterday
  • Options
    Now has the honour of scoring the first ever league goal for AFC Wimbledon.
    Jeez, that's the same Jamie Stuart? I remember him as one of the worst left backs we managed to produce in the '90's. Rather improbably, didn't he play for England U-21s a couple of times?
  • Options
    Traore springs to mind,straight away! Jamie always had good potential, just took a few options in life the wrong way, thats what being 20 something is all about. England under 21's should tell you something as well.
  • Options
    Remember seeing him play centre back once or twice for us, always thought he looked better there so not surprised it became his favoured position.
  • Options
    Curbishley sacked him after he failed a drugs test. He went to Millwall for a while then seemed on a steep downward spiral (I'm waiting for the Millwall vis a vis down spiral jokes). It's good to see that after a few years of trial and tribulation he is making a career for himself again.
  • Options
    Well done to him.  It's hard when you are fighting at finding stability in non-league.  Dean Chandler didn't manage it, and he was good enough for league.  Jamie had plenty of talent at lb, played for england u21's quite deservedly.  But at us and Millwall he did exactly the same...  Past the initial baptism of fire, and energy that debuts can bring he seriously fell away when he had to motivate himself in the week to week slog of a season.

That makes it more impressive thathe's fought his way back into the league, after Grays and others.  AFC don't pay big wages so he really must want it.
  • Options

It is often that a 'man' doesn't mature until his mid or late 20s. It's nice to see that Stuart admits and has faced up to his old faults and is determined to make the very most of what remains of what was a considerable talent. I wish him well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck  to the guy, he made a mistake, and is prepared to try and do it right this time.

His mother used to work in the Off licence in Bexley village, and was by all accounts shocked to discover this of her son, when he played at Charlton, when he was trying to establish himself in the first team.
    Hope the guy does well.

• Options
    Looked to have filled out a bit. Always remember him as a bit of a skinny bloke, but than again I spose we've all filled out a bit since then!
    MUNCHIES!!

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Just to follow up from the original post, he was found not guilty of GBH.

Mind you he was only in Basildon for a court case and very quickly developed the look of a local ;-)
  • Options
    Is there anywhere online to read that interview in SLP? Don't sell it here in kent, and wouldn't mind reading it.

Please post a link if anyone sees it, ta
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    He's an alright bloke, shame his brother is a wrong 'un. His missus works at Crazee Barn in Bexley.
  • Options
    Saw him captaining Rushden & Diamonds at Oxford last year and he did well marshalling the defence to a 0-0 against a rampant Oxford.
  • Options
    Saw Jamie play tonight for Margate at Hendon in the semi-final of the league cup. He played well at centre-back in a 2-1 defeat.
  • Options
    temptation got the better of him unfortunately even after being given a second chance from having a few spliffs when younger and at cafc

There were several occasions when I was present that footballers some high profile and some not so we're doing things that they should not have been doing as a pro footballer, the retirement age of a footballer is still young and there's plenty of time to do that after you finish playing if you choose

It's a shame as I always found him a great lad when we were in the same company and he definitely could have had a better career in football than he had,

It must be hard as a relatively still young man having to think what if and the burden on his mental state

To continue to be level and seemingly responsible adult now is testament to his character
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I played in the same North Kent schools team as Jamie and was also training at Charlton when he turned up. From day one he was a bit special but he was never the sharpest tool in the box.

Lovely bloke though - I'm glad he's gone on to have a good career in the game.

Incidentally that Charlton youth team also had Jason Tindall and Lee Bowyer. We were pretty bloody good
  • Options
    Admittedly they brought more awesomeness to the table than me :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Never knew Jamie, as he was a few years older than my sons, but was highly regarded in local football, and his mother worked across the road in Threshers in Bexley village. I was managing the Bexley FC junior football club at the time, when his 'issue' hit the fan. Sadly quite a few promising lads get sidetracked, and probably that has always been the case. Probably more to do with drink in earlier day's but I am sure they alway's existed. George Best, Tony Adams come to mind. A couple of my players got into pro football teams, even CAFC, but well did not make it. Most do not play at any level today. My son's do, and play against there former team this weekend Long lane.
    Very easy to knock young footballers, and say don't do this, or that, but if you do not love the game, and all that goes with it, and with a very strong mentor it is not easy for sure.
  • Options
    I played for Long Lane for about 10 years as a kid - great club
  • Options
    Good player was Stuart. Shame off-the field temptations got the better of him.
  • Options
    His Grandparents had a caravan on Sheppey and drank in my local in Minster
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I played for Long Lane for about 10 years as a kid - great club

Yes my twin sons played for Long Lane, after leaving Gravesend and Northfleet Academy for Charlie Abbot's team, I think they won the Bexley Cup and Shield.
    Went back to train at Long Lane with Erith 147 reserves and the first team a couple of years ago. If I had to recommend a junior football club it would get my vote, well run, and properly structured. There senior teams are doing well, as the lads from my old club Bexley who I think will be join the Kent Premier next season. They are already in a cup final against Metrogas, so we will see how they shape up.
    If you fancy a game Swisdom, always need a few players, even if you can only play when CAFC are away?
  • Options
    He was always up for a night out
  • Options
    Sorry Ken - very much retired now ;-)