Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Official 2008 Baseball Season Thread

So the season is underway and the Cardinals are back on form. 3 - 1 after 4 games and on a 3 game winning streak

pick a team to follow if you don't have one already

All 30 MLB Teams
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland Atletics
Texas Rangers
Seattle Mariners
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins
Detroit Tigers
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Baltimore Orioles
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Houston Astros
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Arizona Diamondbacks
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies
Atlanta Braves
Washington Nationals
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Florida Marlins

If you don't get Baseball then don't worry, you most likely think rugby is fun. ; -)

Comments

• Options
    Has to be the Milwaukee Brewers - what a name!
  • Options
    Giants man myself. Off to the expected poor start. Ho-Hum
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Just seen these!! Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
  • Options
    Pittsburgh Pirates for my rounders team!
  • Options
    Sink this Rubbish, Bleedin American crap.

Why is all their so called sport called the World Series when only they play it.

Very Dis-appointed that you of all people Henry watch this tosh!
  • Options
    Nice open minded point there Ketters.

It's called the world series because when it started only North Americans played professional baseball, when other countries started up the name was already there, a bit like The FA being THE FA, even though there are now many others.

You should try taking in a game if you ever get the chance Ketters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Nice open minded point there Ketters.

It's called the world series because when it started only North Americans played professional baseball, when other countries started up the name was already there, a bit like The FA being THE FA, even though there are now many others.

You should try taking in a game if you ever get the chance Ketters.

Have watched Baseball, Basketball & American Football on TV the only one I enjoyed was the Basketball to be honest. Perhaps I am missing something by not seeing it LIVE.
  • Options
    Tampa Bay are no longer called the Devil Rays...its just the Rays now.

However, I don't think the name change will make a difference to their final position in the AL East :(
  • Options
    The Cubs, currently 1-3 after four games.
  • Options
    Has to be Boston Red Sox or Cincinnati Reds as nearest to Charlton.

Can't be Texas Rangers on PC grounds (why no Texas Celtic? :-) )

I'm in the Ketman camp though to some extent probably because I love rugby! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Has to be Boston Red Sox or Cincinnati Reds as nearest to Charlton.

Can't be Texas Rangers on PC grounds (why no Texas Celtic? :-) )

I'm in the Ketman camp though to some extent probably because I love rugby! :-)

Cardinals play in red.

I think Ketman just has a problem with bat and ball games.

Anyway this isn't meant to be a "let's discuss whether we like Baseball or not" thread but a "Let's enjoy a 161 game season with games nearly every day that will fill the gap over the long summer when there's no Charlton and no England games" thread.

Just pick a team to follow, doesn't really matter if you like the sport or not.

Go Cards.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've followed baseball for years. Chicago White Sox fan.

Is anyone else from here taking part in the free fantasy baseball competition at fantasybaseballuk? I've noticed one or two other Charlton fans over there, but I've no idea who they are..
  • Options
    The Cubs. Trying to win the 'world' series for the first time in 100 years.
    The Newcastle Utd of the MLB.
  • Options
    Seen Oakland Athletics play about 6-7 years ago so Oakland A's for me; though they are one of the extreme franchise clubs starting off playing in Philadelphia now on the opposite coast.

For history it's the Red Sox...
  • Options
    boo - Ice Hockey is the only decent North American sport - FACT
  • Options
    Haven't got a clue about the game - but based on Len's logic, I'll go for Cincinnati Reds.

But I agree with vancouveraddick - Ice Hockey is the only North American game worth watching - c'mon New York Rangers!
  • Options
    isn't this just Rounders ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Haven't got a clue about the game - but based on Len's logic, I'll go for Cincinnati Reds.

But I agree with vancouveraddick - Ice Hockey is the only North American game worth watching - c'mon New York Rangers!

I've seen the NY Rangers play at Madison Square Garden......would recommend..
  • Options
    The Mighty Red Sox. Baseball is the only sport worth watching apart from football, and the Sox the only team worth squat.

I go over every year to catch a few games at Fenway (and the odd road game). Saw us beat the Yankee scum with four home runs in a row last year - first time in about 20 years any team's done that. Off there again Thursday week for a couple of games against the Rangers and a couple against the Angels (loge seats right behind home plate yay).

Anyone into baseball should subscribe to MLB.TV. It's only about £100 for the season and that lets you watch all 3,000-odd games live! The Divisional and World Series was a ruddy nightmare. Home from pub at 1am as game kicks off, carry on drinking at home while game is on, game finishes anywhere from 4.30am to 6am, couple of hours kip, off to work still drunk, 4 or 5 days a week for the best part of a month. What an endurance test.

I support two teams. 1. Charlton Athletic, 2. Boston Red Sox
    Everyone else (including every international team and every other sport) can go swim.
  • Options
    you're mental
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    borrrring
  • Options
    lets just leave this thread to those weirdos that are into it :-)
  • Options
    Red Sox for my sins. Since about 1983 - before anyone accuses me of bandwagon jumping :)
  • Options
    Oakland A's for me and has been for some years.

Got hooked during a visit to Japan in the late eighties as it was the only thing on the box I could understand, then again when I went to the US mid season some years later.

Why Oakland, well when I was looking for a team to follow I came across Athletics and it couldn't be anyone else really.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Baltimore in the American League and Milwauke in the National League setting the pace early on with a .883 average.

But remember still 150+ games to go : - )

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp
  • Options
    when i was reading the names i thought Milwauke am i still allowed to have them as others have already picked them?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Milwauke

Too much like Millwall, mate, I'd leave it
  • Options
    agreed look out i'll have Atlanta braves
  • Options
    texas rangers for me go on the gers
  • Options
    Red Sox for me too. I've been to Fenway Park a couple of times. My first visit was in 1987 for a game against the Yankees. Totally memorable. I would recommend it to anybody.