Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New pounds and pence

Comments

• Options
    Ah something new and designed. Must be rubbish. Bring back the Tru'penny bit. blah, blah blah, 2/6, half a doller, silver sixpence, jumpers for goalposts, 4 chews for a penny.

Quite like them other than the £1 coin. Suffers from not following the same pattern as the others.
  • Options
    The pound coin is the "complete jigsaw" of the other coins isnt it?

I like.
  • Options
    I quite like the design, but I can't help thinking "why"???

WHY???
  • Options
    Why not?!

It was a competition so its not like the government have wasted millions of money on it.

Shame they didnt use the same approach for the Olympics.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The pound coin is the "complete jigsaw" of the other coins isnt it?

I like.

the Royal Arms has been given a contemporary treatment and its whole has been cleverly split among all six denominations from the 1p to the 50p, with the £1 coin displaying the heraldic element in its entirety.

You should work in marketing, mate. It says that on their website.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    Ha ha.

Be quiet. I thought you didnt read it and you didnt get it. On numerous occasions in my profession the level of work is so clever that some people just don't get it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I quite like the design, but I can't help thinking "why"???

WHY???
    According to the Royal mint

Why have the designs changed?The reverses of seven coins have been redesigned to renew and reinvigorate the United Kingdom's coinage because it has been almost 40 years since most of the standard designs currently in use were introduced. This is an unusually long period of time for a series of coins to remain unchanged and you would need to go back as far as 1887 to find a series of reverses which has lasted as long. While the current designs have served their purpose well, it is hoped that the new series will better reflect contemporary Britain.

As for Olympics WSS, time will tell, but sponsors have already coughed up £350m to use it
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I quite like the design, but I can't help thinking "why"???

WHY???

is it?

EU regulations

Health and Safety

PC gone mad

Red Ken

Secret messages from the New World Order

To confuse old people and tourists

Cos they felt like it

All of the above

None of the above
  • Options
    Just spotted a fault - the value of the coin is only stated in letters with no digits. Very confusing for tourists and the like, not to mention trying to teach kids which is which.

Can you imagine going to somewhere where the value of a coin wasn't clearly stated in numeric format? Jeez, I'm bad enough with "funny money" when it is!
  • Options
    looks OK
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]As for Olympics WSS, time will tell, but sponsors have already coughed up £350m to use it
    I put my comment in there especially for you mate. ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Just spotted a fault - the value of the coin is only stated in letters with no digits. Very confusing for tourists and the like, not to mention trying to teach kids which is which.

Can you imagine going to somewhere where the value of a coin wasn't clearly stated in numeric format? Jeez, I'm bad enough with "funny money" when it is!
    What about the other side of the coins.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Just spotted a fault - the value of the coin is only stated in letters with no digits. Very confusing for tourists and the like, not to mention trying to teach kids which is which.

Yeah I noticed that too, seemed a bit strange
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Ha ha.

Be quiet. I thought you didnt read it and you didnt get it. On numerous occasions in my profession the level of work is so clever that some people just don't get it...

Oi! Don't try and patronise me : - )

I can read
  • Options

I quite like the look of them, but that is a big fault in the design!!!!
  • Options
    The other side of the bloody coins will have a number!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

And then there's the people with dyslexia - they'll f*cked be!
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

Have a look at a current £1 or £2 coin No numerals.

So the answer to my quiz was "confuse old people and tourists"

Maybe they've taken the picture of the woman off the back and put the number there? *ducks for cover*
  • Options
    surely they'll be where the queen is?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    Numbers of the right hand side. Coins have two sides. Jeez.

UKLFBU_MICROSITE.JPG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The other side of the bloody coins will have a number!!!!!!!!

Er, I would sincerely hope that the other side of the coin will have Liz's head on them - just like they do now.

The "tails" side always has the number on it - have a look in your pocket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    are you sure - coins normally have their value on the reverse only.
    The front is reserved for the monarch's head, or Tony Blair in the case of the pound coin.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    Well that might of changed as they think she'll pop her clogs in the next round of coins and get some neutral ones in while Charles decides whether or not he will give it to William.

I've sent an email off to the RM to try and clarify for us...
  • Options
    Fug me - no monarch on our currency? Might has well have a fookin Euro instead!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Fug me - no monarch on our currency? Might has well have a fookin Euro instead!!!
    Thats another point...
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Here's the front, no numbers but written out "Five pence" etc

NEWDESIGNSREVEALED.JPG

Sky also state "The front of the new coins will still bear a portrait of Her Majesty The Queen"
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Here's the front:

NEWDESIGNSREVEALED.JPG

Sky also state "The front of the new coins will still bear a portrait of Her Majesty The Queen"

are they 3 sided? i've just bought a new wallet and they wont fit. where do I complain?
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Here's the front:

NEWDESIGNSREVEALED.JPG

are they 3 sided? i've just bought a new wallet and they wont fit. where do I complain?

Silly sausage
  • Options
    Well Medders has it sorted then. liz is still there and the tourists will be confused.

I apologise for my "Coin has two sides" rant - numbers are obviously not necessary.
  • Options
    so what's happening with the £2 coin ??
    i think a £5 coin should be introduced as well and get rid of £5 notes
  • Options
    suprised we don't one with Nelson Mandela on it