Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Grand National Thread

OK, I admit it. Despite having a bookie for an uncle and my dad having been a bookies runner in the pre-legalisation days I've never got the gambling bug. Maybe having to stand outside the bookies while my dad had his bets put me off.

I'm one of those people who has a bet on the National and the Derby and that's a close as I get to a horse unless I'm buying a burger off a stall outside a football ground.

So who should I be betting on this Saturday.

I fancy Idle Talk at 66 -1 as an each way bet and Slim Pickings at 12 - 1

Waste of money? Sure things?

Comments

• Options
    chelsea harbour
  • Options
    Done a Sweepstake at work

I have Joaaci @ 66/1
  • Options
    Chelsea Harbour for me or Simon if we have a fair bit of rain either friday or saturday to be honest on this one i have about 6 runners as i can never make up my mind
  • Options
    get on hoof hearted at 33-1 for an each wayer
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]OK, I admit it. Despite having a bookie for an uncle and my dad having been a bookies runner in the pre-legalisation days I've never got the gambling bug. Maybe having to stand outside the bookies while my dad had his bets put me off.

I'm one of those people who has a bet on the National and the Derby and that's a close as I get to a horse unless I'm buying a burger off a stall outside a football ground.

So who should I be betting on this Saturday.

shame there's not a horse called idol the clown i like my bets to fall at the first ;-)

I fancy Idle Talk at 66 -1 as an each way bet and Slim Pickings at 12 - 1

Waste of money? Sure things?[/quote]
  • Options
    According to my stats system, the best fit with winners and close runners-up since 1988 are:

Comply Or Die (best fit)
    Mon Mome (gutsy stayer though was injured earlier in the season [appeared OK in 2 recent runs])
    Slim Pickings (3rd last year though carries 9lbs more at 11st 3lbs)
    D'Argent (son of Roselier who sired 2 prev winners, a bit quirky and will either love or hate the course)
    King Johns Castle (untried at more than 3 miles but ticks all the other boxes)

PS Cloudy Lane (hot fav) is not certain to get the trip. Failed both starts at extreme distances carrying less weight than on Sat.

PPS If you are betting each way, have a look out for bookies that pays out on the first 5 home (e.g. Bet Direct, SportingBet).
  • Options
    If you fancy a real long shot, Ardaghey, which has just been added to the 40 runners after Opera Mundi dropped out, also ticks the boxes and is at 100/1.
  • Options
    have to agree that backing a 4-1 shot in the National who is not certain to stay is total madness

like the sound of D'Argent and Idle Talk each-way

best bet in the National is simply to take the granny route and choose one with a name you like

the purists will have had more fun yesterday and today

backed Our Vic at 9/1 and Binocular yesterday which was a bit tasty....
  • Options
    Never bet on it, never will.

Only been to the races once, a corperate freebie, only watched one race spent the rest of the time getting lashed.

Just goes to prove that as a sport it's so boring that it has to be made interesting by money similar to penny against the wall..

(jumps of soapbox)
  • Options
    i have entered 2 sweepstakes and managed to get myself Milan Deux Mille and Madison Du Berlais.
    what a waste of £4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have drawn Hi Cloy in the work's sweepstake....
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]Have drawn Hi Cloy in the work's sweepstake....

Snap!

Three legged nag according to our office racing expert!
  • Options
    Does anyone remember Charlton Dan's less than smooth attempt at running an online sweepstake one year, LOL
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Does anyone remember Charlton Dan's less than smooth attempt at running an online sweepstake one year, LOL
    what this one?:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6252&page=1#Item_44

That was hilarious.
  • Options
    Relation is a professional tipster and he tells me to put my money on Comply or die.
  • Options

LOL, was funnier than i remember. Well worth a read.

Can't believe it was only last year. I thought it was 3-4 years ago....
  • Options
    I think the process seemed like 3/4 years to be honest
  • Options
    My relation is a professional tipster and he says put my money on Comply or die. Not that much though !
  • Options
    I actualy went to the national the year of the "IRA hoax " bomb and never saw a bloody horse.
    In all seriousness it was a very strange affair that seems to have been swept under the carpet. we ended up being stranded in Liverpool for 2 days, we were booked in for the Saturday night but were forced to stay another night as we had been told to leave our belongings at the course.
  • Options
    backed butlers cabin about 3 weeks ago got 25's.
    am looking at chelsea harbour and/or mckelvey today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]According to my stats system, the best fit with winners and close runners-up since 1988 are:

Comply Or Die (best fit)
    Mon Mome (gutsy stayer though was injured earlier in the season [appeared OK in 2 recent runs])
    D'Argent (son of Roselier who sired 2 prev winners, a bit quirky and will either love or hate the course)

1st Comply Or Die
    2nd King Johns Caslte
    4th Slim Pickings

I thank you

PS Cloudy Lane (hot fav) is not certain to get the trip. Failed both starts at extreme distances carrying less weight than on Sat.

PPS If you are betting each way, have a look out for bookies that pays out on the first 5 home (e.g. Bet Direct, SportingBet).[/quote]
  • Options
    Well I got Slim Pickings E/W so got my money back and Joe had 50p E/w on Snowny Morning.

I'll know where to come next time I need some tips Peanuts. Well done.
  • Options
    Look further up the thread and " I told you so " ;-)
  • Options
    Cheers Henry and well done yourself.
    Have to confess I was somewhat gobsmacked to see 3 of my shortlist score. It is a race where the stats give big clues.
    Sad to see that dear old McKelvey, who should really have won it last year, was killed.
    Still, Up the Reds! (and the Cardies!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]According to my stats system, the best fit with winners and close runners-up since 1988 are:

Comply Or Die (best fit)

PPS If you are betting each way, have a look out for bookies that pays out on the first 5 home (e.g. Bet Direct, SportingBet).

Can you choose my lottery numbers please? :-)
  • Options
    Congrats Peanuts, its the high life all the way for you now sir.

Treat the missus to a Harvester :-)
  • Options
    A Charlton Win and I won £67 on the Grand National after putting £5 each way on Comply or Die - being as I never bet I should have put money on a Charlton win too!! :-)

NorthstandUltra also won £50.

So our house is a happy one tonight!!

:-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite] [
    Can you choose my lottery numbers please? :-)[/quote]
    LOL
    Henry's young Joe is the man for that job Len. I'm just a sad statto.
  • Options
    I won £67 comply or die £5 ew with Thames

I put £5 e/w Comply or die with the bookie up the club £67

I then pulled Comply or die out in the £1 per horse sweepstake up the club £39

Charlton win with 10 men did i get pisshed up said club oh yes you bet i did