Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mansfield Town

From the BBC:

A man bidding to buy Mansfield Town is planning to rename the club Harchester United after the former Sky series The Dream Team, the BBC has learnt.
John Batchelor, former owner of York City, submitted a bid to majority shareholder Keith Haslam on Wednesday.

Producers of the Sky series confirmed Mr Batchelor had made an approach to use the name.

It is understood the racing car enthusiast also plans to use actors from the television series at the club.

Mr Batchelor changed York City's name to York City Soccer Club when he was at Bootham Crescent to attract American interest.

Mansfield are currently second from bottom of the Football League.

Mr Batchelor was initially part of the consortium before deciding to bid for the struggling League Two club on his own.

The club has undergone a name change once before - from Mansfield Wesleyans to Mansfield Town in 1910.

The Stags play Notts County in a crucial local derby at Field Mill on Saturday.

Comments

• I think Mr. Batchelor will be on his own with this one.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]The club has undergone a name change once before - from Mansfield Wesleyans to Mansfield Town in 1910.

perhaps this was a little more subtle than the proposed renaming...
  • What a pratt. Who do some of these people think they are messing around with clubs like they are a little toy.
  • Why doesn't he rename Mansfield .......... MT Stags

;o)
  • LOL, I'll try again: I think Mr. Batchelor will be on his own with this one.
  • Is this a wind up ? Is it April 1st already ?
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]LOL, I'll try again: I think Mr. Batchelor will be on hisownwith this one.

Okay, LoOKie ..... I get it.

Mr Batchelor is evidently SINGLE minded and not WEDDED to the idea of a consortium ........... so not expecting
    any HITCHES........

Pay attention, Peeps, LoOKie's trying to be funny ;o)
  • Anyone else recall when a new Charlton chairman (Huyler perhaps) had an open day at the Valley where he addressed the fans and suggested dropping "Athletic" from our name.

Resounding boos all round was the result as I remember or am I mis-remembering the good old days?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]LOL, I'll try again: I think Mr. Batchelor will be on hisownwith this one.

Okay, LoOKie ..... I get it.

Mr Batchelor is evidently SINGLE minded and not WEDDED to the idea of a consortium ........... so not expecting
    any HITCHES........

Pay attention, Peeps, LoOKie's trying to be funny ;o)

Mr Batchelor has CONFIRMED his idea.
  • Apparently Mr Batchelor has a 10 year plan that Mansfield will win the UEFA Soupa-Cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Well i've got one word for oh so souper Mr Batchelor

MUG
  • This proposal is nuts!
  • He's obviously looking for love, but he ain't gonna find it that way!
  • As far as I am concerned this is an indecent proposal
  • Imagine right all of us post of here are so passionate about our team well Mansfield have fans just like us,how would we feel if someone did that to us.It doesn't bear thinkin about bloody disgraceful.
  • He was on 5 live, Claridge suggestede it was close to1st april, but he denied it was a wind up. Honest if nothing else, actually sounds like a chinless wonder, does not believe that football clubs have any commitment to the community, fans don't matter. To be fair he has given his number out on local radio for Mansfield fans to call and discuss with him, to date only 6 have called, so maybe there are no fans in Mnasfield.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite] so maybe there are no fans in Mnasfield.

they all live in london
  • edited March 2008
    Although my gut reaction as a football fan is the same as all of yours, I do feel that we should look at both sides of the argument, as should always be done in any situation, however hard that may be.

Firstly this resonates for me with all the stupid criticism that Richard Murray & co have been getting on here lately. They have put their money into the club and done a bloody good job so do not deserve to be slagged off even if they have made some mistakes.
    The same could be said of Mr Batchelor. He is after all trying to save the club. He has offered fans to buy shares off of him if they want to give their opinion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7310000/newsid_7319000/7319032.stm?bw=nb&mp=rm&news=1&bbcws=1

One could argue that the people of Mansfield have not shown great support of their club in the past or else they wouldn't be in the dire position that they are in.
    If there are more 'fans' of Harchester:

http://www.harchester.net/forums/

than of Mansfield then who knows.

One thing is for sure: this guy cares not one iota about Mansfield Town FC as being representative of the town of Mansfield. He just wants to own a professional club and for it to succeed in whatever way possible.
  • A bit like Abromavich, then?

Or maybe, Scally ...... haha!
  • Before we descend into post-defeat recriminations...

Mansfield almost out of the league, fans trying to break into the directors' box, police have got their batons out.

it's not sounding pretty on Radio Nottingham