Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car Insurance

13»

Comments

• Options
    I changed two years ago to By miles, I pay a one off parking fee of £170 and then 3p per mile that’s capped, so when drove to Peterborough to collect a dog it was capped at £5 for the day. On average I pay £1/£1.50 per month which keeps my premium for a year around £200 admittedly I’m the wrong side of 30 and average 10 miles a week, so it’s no good if you clock up the miles. But last year I paid £0 during lockdown months. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

There should be a legal clause that says an insurance company cannot charge you anything for a vehicle you no longer own whether the contract runs out or not.

As someone who's worked in Insurance for nearly 35 years I think these fee's should be outlawed.

Companies like Admiral get lots of business because their headline premium is often the cheapest. The only reason it is, is due to their fee scales. Sadly most people buy on price and don't pay attention to what they are signing up for.

Never buy insurance simply on price, invariably you get what you pay for.

Addickted said:
    Just tried to cancel an Admiral Multi Car insurance policy on two vehicles I've just sold. The insurance runs out on 30th June.

Bastards want £55 to cancel the policy. Everyone wants their pound of flesh.

Was in two minds to put this in the 'scam' thread.
    As above I don't particularly agree with the fee's, but it's what you signed up for when you took out the policy. If you honestly believe you didn't, or they didn't make you aware, tell them so.
    Conversely, Admiral have been very good to me. I was able to upgrade from SDP to to and from place of work and for nothing after the first lockdown so I could drive to work for a bit. Even though I said it was only to 1 place, they said they'd include all places of work and give me Business cover. 

They also contacted me to say they had spotted some an error regarding the excess I paid for a  windscreen claim.

When I purchased your policy online, they displayed the incorrect excess information relating to making a replacement glass claim.  Although they said the documents would have reflected the correct higher amount.

When I made the claim, they charged me the correct amount of £115.00. While this was the correct amount, they said it was not made clear to me when I accepted the cover. 

They acknowledgement their error, they refunded the £20.00 plus 8% interest
  • Options
    Fair do's, didn't know that. Off topic but insured the wifes car 2 weeks ago,starting 26th april with new insurer. Car has now failed MOT and will go to breakers.Car drives ok but £1100 of mechanical work required,pads discs etc.  Will get another car but will probably be charged £25 admin fee for the privilege of a new Certificate of Insurance!. Anybody want a 52 plate BMW Convertible going cheap?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

There should be a legal clause that says an insurance company cannot charge you anything for a vehicle you no longer own whether the contract runs out or not.

As someone who's worked in Insurance for nearly 35 years I think these fee's should be outlawed.

Companies like Admiral get lots of business because their headline premium is often the cheapest. The only reason it is, is due to their fee scales. Sadly most people buy on price and don't pay attention to what they are signing up for.

Never buy insurance simply on price, invariably you get what you pay for.

Addickted said:
    Just tried to cancel an Admiral Multi Car insurance policy on two vehicles I've just sold. The insurance runs out on 30th June.

Bastards want £55 to cancel the policy. Everyone wants their pound of flesh.

Was in two minds to put this in the 'scam' thread.
    As above I don't particularly agree with the fee's, but it's what you signed up for when you took out the policy. If you honestly believe you didn't, or they didn't make you aware, tell them so.
    Conversely, Admiral have been very good to me. I was able to upgrade from SDP to to and from place of work and for nothing after the first lockdown so I could drive to work for a bit. Even though I said it was only to 1 place, they said they'd include all places of work and give me Business cover. 

They also contacted me to say they had spotted some an error regarding the excess I paid for a  windscreen claim.

When I purchased your policy online, they displayed the incorrect excess information relating to making a replacement glass claim.  Although they said the documents would have reflected the correct higher amount.

When I made the claim, they charged me the correct amount of £115.00. While this was the correct amount, they said it was not made clear to me when I accepted the cover. 

They acknowledgement their error, they refunded the £20.00 plus 8% interest
    Almost all motor insurers flexed during COVID. Some like Admiral gave commuting, some refunded an amount to every customer, some asked for declared mileage and refunded that way. Despite what people think they aren't that evil! A certain insurer not too far from Charlton made an extra 90m due to covid/lockdowns, they donated that to causes both charitable, customers and others.
  • Options
    Fair do's, didn't know that. Off topic but insured the wifes car 2 weeks ago,starting 26th april with new insurer. Car has now failed MOT and will go to breakers.Car drives ok but £1100 of mechanical work required,pads discs etc.  Will get another car but will probably be charged £25 admin fee for the privilege of a new Certificate of Insurance!. Anybody want a 52 plate BMW Convertible going cheap?
    Maybe a more objective or lenient mot tester would help in that situation @Bromley Graham, like these at new cross and dartford-
    https://www.thetestcentre.co.uk/
  • Options

If you do scrap it, you might try www.removemycar.co.uk for a scrap price. My old x type went for £331, no haggling, bloke turned up filled in the V5 correctly, gave me a cheque and took it away.

• Options
    Elephant whacked my premium up to £1,500 (I had a total loss claim 18 months ago)......have just replaced them on confused.com for less than half that.

when I rang them they immediately lowered it to below a grand, too late.
  • Options
    Elephant whacked my premium up to £1,500 (I had a total loss claim 18 months ago)......have just replaced them on confused.com for less than half that.

when I rang them they immediately lowered it to below a grand, too late.
    Did you call them on a trunk line?
  • Options
    With my son being a new driver I thought the best way to get a decent deal was by ringing around. I was getting some ridiculously high quotes that even the person giving the quote was embarrased about. The solution was to use compare the market which blew all the quotes out of the water, which surprised me. But I don't understand how it all works. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With my son being a new driver I thought the best way to get a decent deal was by ringing around. I was getting some ridiculously high quotes that even the person giving the quote was embarrased about. The solution was to use compare the market which blew all the quotes out of the water, which surprised me. But I don't understand how it all works. 
    Apparently it's a bunch of tame Meerkats doing all the work.
  • Options
    They do a good job as they can get you insurance much cheaper from the same company quoting a ridiculous amount on the phone when you contact them direct.
  • Options
    Maybe a more objective or lenient mot tester would help in that situation @Bromley Graham, like these at new cross and dartford-
    I always go to the one at New Cross - don't seem quite as keen on failing vehicles as some places. 

• Options
    I always go to the one at New Cross - don't seem quite as keen on failing vehicles as some places. 

Remind me not to accept a lift in your car then.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Remind me not to accept a lift in your car then.
    I used to go an MOT centre adjacent to a main dealer where I took my vehicle for servicing - it dawned on me that some of the stuff they were failing me for was simply to generate work. The worst example was failing me for an emissions test when it transpired they'd used the wrong setting.

I go to a local mechanic now in Deptford who is much more reliable and checks out the vehicle before I take it for an MOT. 

• Options

Yeah, but having to put Millwall stickers all over your car just to pass must cause some angst.
  • Options
    There will be a new directive soon (early next year) to try and stop the lower prices for new customers at the expense of existing customers, so expect premiums to go up!
  • Options

People renewing their home or motor insurance will pay no more than they would as a new customer from January.

The new rules have been confirmed by the City regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), following years of complaints.

The FCA says the move will save loyal customers an estimated £4.2bn over 10 years.

But it admitted it could spell the end of the cheapest deals for new customers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57270415

• Options
    clive said:

People renewing their home or motor insurance will pay no more than they would as a new customer from January.

The new rules have been confirmed by the City regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), following years of complaints.

The FCA says the move will save loyal customers an estimated £4.2bn over 10 years.

But it admitted it could spell the end of the cheapest deals for new customers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57270415

Spot on, as I mentioned above.

This will mean higher new business prices for sure so anyone who shopped around and then either moved or rang their current insurers to match will no longer get that nice discount/money saving.

They'll be some happy and some not so happy customers!