Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where it all went wrong

Half time against Watford 2-0,a week after beating Palace,we let a 2 goal lead slip and it's gone tits up ever since.

Comments

• Options
    I just don't think we have got going this season, there are many points where we could say it started to go tits up, but in reality when the ref blew the whistle at the valley against scunthorpe was the beining of the end of the automatic dream return.
  • Options
    yes for me i would say being 2-0 up against watford at half time then thought we were lucky to hang on to a draw
  • Options
    Hang on guys.......we are only a point away from the play off position......live the dream!
  • Options
    look at the form gotta get real mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Hang on guys.......we are only a point away from the play off position......live the dream!

Right, Solid!

Imagine if some of the people on here were playing together in the same football team - and were losing 1-0
    with 10 minutes to go.

Many would have just given up, ripped their shirts off and stomped off the pitch moaning there was no point playing
    90 minutes, because we would only lose anyway.

Just the sort of players you would want in your team ......... (!)

;o)
  • Options
    6 games to go. I will continue to live the dream.

But looking at the last 6 games its been 5 goals scored and 5 points gained.

And imo the next 6 games are no easier or harder than the last 6.

So heart says get in there and head says no way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I just don't think we have got going this season, there are many points where we could say it started to go tits up, but in reality when the ref blew the whistle at the valley against scunthorpe was the beining of the end of the automatic dream return.

I think that is spot on. We haven't had any consistantancy this season. When it looked like it was coming together it would all go tits up again. For every palace there was always a watford just round the corner.
  • Options
    The lack of consistancey is due to the constant changing of the team. At the start of the season (when we started winning) the important players were Reid, Mills,Semado & Big Chris. As the season developed players such as Holland, Ambrose and Varney have made important contriubutions but rather than enhancing the previous 4 I mentioned they have had to replace them.

The clue in how much the team has changed is when you think about who should be player of the year. With the exception Weaver no player has been in the side for the vast majority of games. All other contenders such as Holland, Ambrose, Zi, Paddy, etc, etc have all missed significant parts of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]The lack of consistancey is due to the constant changing of the team. At the start of the season (when we started winning) the important players were Reid, Mills,Semado & Big Chris. As the season developed players such as Holland, Ambrose and Varney have made important contriubutions but rather than enhancing the previous 4 I mentioned they have had to replace them.

The clue in how much the team has changed is when you think about who should be player of the year. With the exception Weaver no player has been in the side for the vast majority of games. All other contenders such as Holland, Ambrose, Zi, Paddy, etc, etc have all missed significant parts of the season.

Anyone sad enough to check how many players we have used this season compared to the other promotion hopefuls?
  • Options
    I ain't counted but I have heard that it is 33 outfield players this season. That is 3 complete teams worth + 3 as Weaver has played every game. I cannot imagine any other team has got near that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A year and a half ago !!!
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out that as unlikely it may seem now that we go on a good run and pick up a healthy number of points, weren't we thinking the same about Wham this time last year? (especially after we thrashed them)

Anything can happen in football. I don't think we'll do it but we are after all only a few points behind the play-off places.

As for arguments regarding recent form, I'd look at the most recent match, and I don't think that was anything to worry about.
  • Options
    Come on fellas,dont give up yet. I know we ve all taken a bad knock to our confidence but its a long way from over yet. Another win or two and it all looks completely different. It would be a brave man (or woman) to bet on who will win this league. Hull are the form team at the minute,but all the top teams are going through lean spells.Its not just us who are struggling for points. The fat lady might be clearing her throat but she aint ready to sing yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Hang on guys.......we are only a point away from the play off position......live the dream!

2 points now and if Ipswich win their game in hand, 5.
  • Options
    And if they don't ......?
    Tough run.

Sat 29 15:00 H QPR
    April
    Sat 5 15:00 A Colchester
    Wed 9 19:45 H Cardiff City
    Sun 13 12:00 H Norwich City
    Sat 19 15:00 A Wolves
    Sat 26 15:00 A Preston
    May
    Sun 4 14:00 H Hull City
  • Options
    easier than ours
  • Options
    You reckon? Mostly form teams - and 2 bitterly contested local derbies.
  • Options
    so you are saying the form teams will take the playoff spots then?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ..... I'm just saying that Ipswich have got a tough run against teams that are playing well at the moment - the exception being a desperate Colchester playing at least for pride, against their nearest rivals.

And they've got a grudge match against their bitter rivals, Norwich - who will be well up for it.

But, of course, the form teams this weekend might not be the form teams in 2 or 3 weeks time.
    Things can quickly change. That's football.

That's why we've still got a chance.
  • Options
    I am taking the pessimists view then at worst I can t be dissapointed and at best I can be delighted :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Champions champions

never give up :-)
  • Options
    It ain't over to the fat lady sings but I will admit that I heard her clearing her throat.

I don't think that it is down to one turning point but if you are looking with benefit of hindsight I would say Plymouth at home.

We lost at home for the first time and more importantly we lost Todorov. All the imbalance of the team seems to stem from that foul - not even deemed worthy of a chat with the player let alone a yellow from card happy egotist Rob Styles.

But we are not out of it yet. I'm finding it harder and harder to convince even myself that we WILL do it but anyone of the teams around us will believe that they can nick the last play-off place so we most definitely CAN.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    I don't think that it is down to one turning point but if you are looking with benefit of hindsight I would say Plymouth at home.

We lost at home for the first time and more importantly we lost Todorov. All the imbalance of the team seems to stem from that foul - not even deemed worthy of a chat with the player let alone a yellow from card happy egotist Rob Styles.

really? after plymouth we won 4 out of our next 5 league games, our best run this season.
    i take your point about todorov though.
  • Options
    We changed the system to 4-5-1 though, to give Andy Reid a free role and platform to dictate from.

Once teams sussed that virtually everything came through Reid and closed him out, we suffered from lack of ideas and chances dried up.

Which is where we are today.
  • Options
    Henry, we just haven't shown in the last 4 months any of the characteristics needed to go up.

Selling Reid was good *business*, but looks like it sent the wrong signal to the rest of the squad.

When you sell your best player, at least have a vaguely suitable replacement to take his place eh . . . .

It all went a bit wobbly when Sam got suspended and the team lost it's balance.
  • Options
    The team definitely has an imbalance in centre midfield which is impacting on our lack of chances created overall - but the key problem is the team's lack of confidence and self belief.

Most of our problems are inside the players heads - and nothing to do with their own footballing ability.
    Until Pards sorts that out, we'll huff & puff and performances will be unconvincing.

But maybe a turning point will come in an unpredictable way.
    Let's wait and see.
  • Options
    For me scunny away

no passion no urgency all too familar traits in games after that.

Great away turnout poxy ground got a football though so the kids are still happy
  • Options
    when curbishley left
  • Options
    when curbishley bought Bryan Hughes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]when curbishley bought Bryan Hughes.

now playmaker of hull city, the form team of the division! :-)